Anyone up for some Apprentice?

R

Reverend Love

Eeeh? Anyone here willing to test their might against the holiest of card slingers? Willing to be pounded by the 800 pound mutant Bosh deck created by the CPA'st finest?

PM...if you dare!

D

DÛke

Why don't you get Magic Workstation? You get all the cards and everything Apprentice has to offer, but instead you get better interface, an always available and ready-to-play user base, and, best of all, you get all the card pictures.

In other words, Magic Online is a good thing – if you like to be ripped off. Apprentice is a great thing - if you like playing without pictures.

...as for the rules "problem" - that there are no actual rules programmed in either Apprentice or Workstation - well, it would be indeed a problem if you encounter many that can't play. I've played at least 100 casual games in Workstation in the past 6 months now, and rule issues only came up once or twice, and they weren't any issues that halted the game at all...

N

Nightstalkers

[EDIT] I've just found that my program is kinda, sorta outdated... any links you can supply me to update to newer sets?

R

Reverend Love

Hey Duke, I know of Magic Workstation but it requires a copy of the Magic Encyclopedia . Which unfortunately I neither own nor could locate. If you've got a link where I can snag it at please post it…thanks though.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Nightstalkers: Which program? Apprentice? You can get patches for the latest sets at www.e-league.com Not sure about Magic Workstation (see if there's a link on the front page).

N

Nightstalkers

Its Apprentice v1.46

Kinda old, huh?

Thx for the link, but the oracle update doesn't seem to work.

W

Weezix

Is there anyone who plays on apprentice in the CPA?
do you use the chat room to find opponents?
Let's do some crazy theme deck challenges like decks based on movies or books.

R

Reverend Love

Weezix

There's a few of us interested here. Private Message me and we'll schedule some time which we can both get together and play :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
1.46 is the latest version of Apprentice; I don't think anyone's working on the code anymore. The people at e-league just keep putting out the patches for the sets, but that's it. Looking at their front page notes, it looks like they're trying to get a mirror up for the patch but that was the last week of September; I guess they're still looking if they haven't posted anything more about it.

N

Nightstalkers

Let's do some crazy theme deck challenges like decks based on movies or books.
I've been waiting for someone to build one... I've been thinking of starting a Matrix G/B deck for a while now.

Oh well, I've got a very limited selection of cards in my apprentice library, so I'll try to build a deck with what I've got.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

It's worth the effort to get new versions, if only to fix typos and such that are still there for older cards.

I remember having trouble with the oracle update at e-league. Did it do this little window, say "Installing..." and then not do anything? That's what happened to me.
Try the mirrodin patch, that might be good.

G/B Matrix... good job. Very clever.

EDITed to fix dumbness.

W

Weezix

I have found the Appr patch at magic-league.com. It is current with 8th and Mirrodin and I think all errors are fixed.
I have also seen some screenshots for the Apprentice upgrade. It might not be out anytime soon but it will fix some of the troublesome isses with 1.46

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I tried the link at e-league after I saw Nightstalker's post and couldn't get it to work either. I'll keep looking though.

R

Reverend Love

Spiderman
Thallid Ice Cream Man

Are you guys interested in playing too?

So far we've got:

The choo-choo man himself, Train
Nightstalkers
Weezix
And myself

If we can get a few more people I'm sure we could so some regular playing.

W

Weezix

I downloaded the Magic Workstation and it is pretty good.
It allows for putting cards on the bottom of your deck which Apprentice did not.

When we get ready to start, I propose we all use decks built around a letter of the alphabet. Each of us would get a different random letter and all card names must start with that letter. For example if my letter were "W", I would choose cards like "Words of Wind", "Wall of Bone", or "Ixidor's Will"
We could do T2, T1, or any format you guys want.

I look forward to playing with you guys. Most nights are good for me.

-- Weezix

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I won't be able to play. I can't play from work and I don't have a lot of free time at home. Sorry. Sounds fun though!

You can put a card on the bottom of your deck with Apprentice:

Click view, Top card(s) of library, a box pops up choose a card, right click, drop down menu has "move this card to bottom of
library.

(thanks to Griffith_se for showing me a couple of years ago)

N

Nightstalkers

Where I got my apprentice patch (all the way up to Mirrodin)

Well, I've finally updated and I'm going to start contributing my decks from real world, to online use. And no, I'm not giving up realworld .\\agic now, or ever.

Who knows, I might want to get some nobrainer n00b to completely pwn some poor guy at a tourney one of these days with my quick shadow deck.

T

train

i have to get this loaded so I can play Reverend... and others...:D

Beware...

"the BEATS are coming!!!..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Just read on E-League that Apprentice 2.0 is in the works and about to be released to public beta. Here's a screenshot

you can expect all of the convenient features from 1.46 in a much nicer-looking package, PLUS, full Wish support, easier ways to play Morphs, and what might be the most important, all contained within a hack-proof platform