Anyone up for Explorers of Ixalan?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Any thought about building the decks as a group? That way problem cards/combos are identified early. Then we can do a random draw to see which deck we each pilot?
What if we built the 4 most powerful tribes, Elves, Goblins, Zombies and Slivers?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'm wondering if for purposes of using "tribal decks" in Explorers, just restricting the cards to an expansion is enough. That's what the original Explorers decks did, right?
Not exactly. The decks in the box set do use a lot of cards from Ixalan, but they include some reprints from Magic's history that aren't in the regular set.

I know I've (probably) said it before (in some way), but there's a place for infinite combos, and tribal isn't it. It's the very "nature" of tribal: you have a "tribe", and you go to war with that tribe. They're the centerpiece of the deck, not the "delaying fodder" so a combo can be set up.
Yeah, you mentioned that at some point. I was going to type the longest, most roundabout way of agreeing with you ever, because I do have mixed feelings about the issue, but ultimately that's another topic. "I agree" should suffice here anyway. So yeah, I agree.

Anyway, the construction part is my "kryptonite", because since I don't have most of the cards, I'd need to do this all online and that's tedious.
Ay, there's the rub. I can't really think of a way to completely fix that problem.

Any thought about building the decks as a group? That way problem cards/combos are identified early. Then we can do a random draw to see which deck we each pilot?
Well, I remember we did that in the past and it seemed to work (although perhaps the CPA had more active members at the time?), so maybe it could work again.

What if we built the 4 most powerful tribes, Elves, Goblins, Zombies and Slivers?
In some sense, this is uncharted territory, but I don't know if slivers are quite at the level of the classic three there. Or perhaps they are. I know goblins and elves are eminently breakable. Those two are easy. Zombies have traditionally been associated with them on that, and they're very strong. I know that after the brief revival of tribal games (or perhaps I should say "game" since it was that short-lived), I came up with a "watch list" of tribes I was worried about other than the big three. It was, let's see...
  • Humans
  • Faeries
  • Merfolk
  • Wizards
  • Soldiers
  • Angels
  • Eldrazi
  • Spirits
  • Vampires
To that, I'd probably add Constructs, Slivers, and maybe Clerics. Uh, Elementals and Shapeshifters would also be pretty powerful. But man, this is tough. I'm not sure which ones are merely good and which ones are too good.

Melkor

I love our group deckbuilding efforts here, but its also where good ideas go to die (see the Sports League, the Little League, and the Ultimate Singleton League). I'm down to just rotate the Explorers decks and backburner some sort of new tribal construction (though I've really wanted to make a Clerics decks since I first looked at Edgewalker).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Mooseman said:
Any thought about building the decks as a group?
Heh, I'd be fine with having one person (or more, but not me :p) build the decks and I'll play them.

I like rotating decks though, just to get another game going while this is all being hashed out.

Oversoul said:
Not exactly. The decks in the box set do use a lot of cards from Ixalan, but they include some reprints from Magic's history that aren't in the regular set.
Oh. I didn't pay too close attention :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'm down to just rotate the Explorers decks and backburner some sort of new tribal construction (though I've really wanted to make a Clerics decks since I first looked at Edgewalker).
Sounds good. Even if we do start up some sort of tribal games again, we might not want to mix in other variants right away (although Explorers seems like a pretty mild change from normal multiplayer).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If we're doing that, since the order of picks for the first game was: Me, Mooseman, Melkor, Oversoul, maybe this time it should be Oversoul, Melkor, Mooseman, Me.

Or in order of killed; Me, Oversoul, Mooseman, Melkor....

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Rotating the decks is fine by me. But you can't play the same deck. Maybe I can run the game and Oversoul could play?
I'd just need a list of the tiles and their point value.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'll see if there's a list online somewhere. Failing that I'll just transcribe them from my set in the box.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I did. I just like the idea of everyone having to wait for Mooseman instead of having to wait for me. :p

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Ugh.... well I can do the tiles or I put up a google doc with it on here.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jqyD2GpnQbqHZNO6ve_sJxJVLPMutdaZ_HwsGr6c588/edit?usp=sharing
Now you pick the letter, then go to corresponding letter in column A and make the text in column B non-white. Then we can white out the tile to show it's gone and even change the color to show it's reserved
It's ready to go and the tiles are randomized on sheet 1. since all the letters are white no one can see whats there unless they change the text color.. but they shouldn't until they need to.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I figured someone else had probably transcribed them already. Found it on Reddit...

1-cost tiles
Site: High and Dry, Pirate's market
At the beginning of your end step, you may discard a card. If you do, draw a card.
Site: Walls of Adonto
Creatures can't attack you. An opponent may pay <1> to ignore this effect until end of turn.
Event: Broadside Assault x2
Deal 2 damage to each opponent.
Event: From the Mists x2
Put a permanent card with converted mana cost 3 or less from your hand onto the battlefield.
Event: Jungle's Bounty
Create a Saproling token. Gain 2 life.
Event: Natural Defenses
You create two Saproling tokens and an opponent of your choice creates one Saproling token.
Event: Rejuvenating Waters
You gain 4 life an an opponent of your choice gains 2 life.
Event: Too Much to Carry
You create two treasure tokens and an opponent of your choice creates a treasure token.
Event: Valuable Recon x2
Create a treasure token. Look at any face-down tile.
Quest: Cannons to Port x3
The next time you deal combat damage to the player on your left, draw a card.
Quest: Cannons to Starboard x3
The next time you deal combat damage to the player on your right, draw a card.
Quest: Dusk's Embrace
The next time a creature you control dies, draw a card.
Quest: Plunder the Plunderers x2
The next time combat damage is dealt to you, create two treasure tokens.
Quest: Sails Unfurled x2
The next creature that enters the battlefield under your control enters the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter on it, and it gains haste until end of turn.
Quest: Study the Nine Rivers x2
The next time you would draw a card, instead look at the top four cards of your library, then put one into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library

3-cost tiles
Site: Deeproot Tree
At the beginning of your end step, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control.
Site: Gold-Laden Shipwreck
At the beginning of your end step, create a treasure token.
Site: Shrine to Ixalli
At the beginning of your end step, create a Saproling token.
Event: Deadly Challenge
Choose two creatures controlled by different players. Those creatures fight each other.
Event: Placate the Raptors
Each opponent sacrifices a creature.
Event: Savage Stirring
Keep until your next turn. At the beginning of combat on each player's turn, that player may choose a creature. until end of turn, that creature gets +3/+3, gains trample, and can't attack you.
Event: Scrolls of Azcanta
Each player draws two cards, then each of your opponents discards two cards.
Event: Secure the High Ground
Keep until your next turn. Creatures can't attack you.
Event: Throw Overboard
Destroy target creature you don't control.
Event: Trespass at Spitfire Bastion
Deal 3 damage to target creature or player.
Event: Turn Tail
Return up to two target creatures controlled by different players to their owners' hands.
Event: Unwitting Accomplice
Gain control of target creature until end of turn. Untap that creature. It gains haste until end of turn.
Event: Wavering Allegiances
Exchange control of two target creatures.
Quest: Blade and Claw
The next time you attack with exactly two creatures, untap them and they each get +2/+2 until end of turn.
Quest: Blessing of the Shapers
Your next creature enters the battlefield with three additional +1/+1 counters on it.
Quest: Can't Take It With You
The next time an opponent leaves the game, draw two cards and create four treasure tokens.
Quest: Jade Recollection
When you cast your next instant or sorcery spell, copy that spell, and you may choose new targets for the copy.
Quest: Prove Worthy
The next time you deal combat damage to the opponent with the most life, create a Dinosaur token.

6-cost tiles
Site: Orazca, the Golden City
When you reveal this tile or take it from another player, draw two cards. At the beginning of your upkeep, draw two cards and deal 3 damage to each opponent.
Event: Ceratops Stampede
Keep until your next turn. When a creature attacks a player other than you, that creature gains double strike until end of turn.
Event: Melee at the Gates
Keep until your next turn. Creatures your opponents control attack each turn if able. They can't attack you.
Event: Might of the Sun Empire
Create a Dinosaur token, then put two +1/+1 counters on each creature you control.
Event: Rise from the Depths
Put the top six cards from the top of your library into your graveyard, then search your graveyard for a number of creature cards whose total power is 6 or less and put them onto the battlefield.
Event: The Blood Fast Ends
For each opponent, destroy up to one target permanent that player controls.
Event: Weather the Storm
Each player discards their hand. Each opponent draws four cards. you draw seven cards and untap all lands you control.