Anarchists!

M

mythosx

What does everyone think of the anarchist?

to me that card is too strong i threw them into my mono black decks. Even though i had no way of casitng them, i would use mass revival spells and use the anarchists to replenish my hand for more spells such as living death and then returning the living death, befoul and a drain... vicious. What does everyone else think?

M

Mr_Pestilence

Also fabulous w/ Astral Slide - slid'im out, regrow a sorcery. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I have some but have yet to use them. I always seem to find other creatures for red, especially for five mana. But I've never really thought of the kind of application you described so maybe I'll go back and look at them some more :)

M

mythosx

Yeah the casting cost for anarchist is extremely high...i don't believe i have ever used it straight up. Always with mass graveyard bring back.

N

Nightstalkers

Extremely high would be an understatement... five mana for a 2/2 is just ridiculous. Thank goodness its got a good ability though

R

Rooser

Hey, I never thought of using Anarchist like that.

And everlasting w00t to you!

R

Reverend Love

Ran a deck which combined Anarchist, Gravedigger, Barrin's Spite, Merfolk Looters, Cephalid Looters and Urborg Uprising for some pleasant results....the only problem was mana..hmm maybe a mana flare would fix that.

To the lab.

J

Jigglypuff

I created a deck for one of Anthony Alongi's contests based around Animal Magnetism and Anarchist. Check out this thread and look down about 13 or 14 posts for my deck.

(- Steve -)

K

Killerbob

I´ve always liked Anarchist too -but have never had the chance to use him in any deck. Not because he´s expensive, more because he´s a Townsfolk...Why didnt they call him Goblin Archaeologist or something like that?

Maybe use him with Victimize? That is ok card economy, and you have the chance to sac/ play comes into play effects.

Some day I had the idea for a townsfolk deck. Something infinite combo with anarchist. It involved lots of cards, and I dont remember which!
I´ll get back to this when I remember!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The only other Towsnfolk I can think of offhand are the Icatian one(s)... how many more are there?

K

Killerbob

Killerbob opens hes theme binder, finds the Townsfolk page and reads:

Tragic Poet
Devout Harpist
Icatian Moneychanger
Anarchist
TREASURE HUNTER
Farrels Zealot
CARTOGRAPHER
Port Inspector
Folk of An-havva
Keldon Vandals

I guess there are a little more now. The binder hasnt been updated since I discovered Crystalkeep.
Aysen Bureaucrats and Angry Mob might be sneaked in too. But they are no REAL townsfolk...

So what townsfolk do, is digging. I like digging. But I dont like playing 3 collors. Too troublesome moving around duals from deck to deck all the time.

R

Reverend Love

But dude they're TOWNSFOLK! Not beasts or dragons or any other embodiment of destruction. They're the village idiots of Dominara. I for one would rather be beat by squirrels, brownies, mistform or any other gurly creature type other then townsfolk..thus hencforth I must build a townsfolk deck.

K

Killerbob

Fortunately Folk of An-havva has been errataed to be townsfolk. They MUST be the biggest fools in magic. Much dumber than goblins. A little dumber than cyclops.
Did everyone see the 80s moovie with Robert de Niro, where the innocent guys from the big city travels down the river, and "meet" the locals? "Squeel like a pig" and all that? Cant remember the name.
I guss they met Folk of An-havva!

R

Reverend Love

Walla, done in record time.

W/R Townsfolk

Townsfolk: 18
3 Devout Harpist
3 Anarchist
3 Farrel’s Zealot
2 Keldon Vandals
3 Soul Sculptor
2 Tragic Poet
2 Treasure Hunter

Artifacts: 6
3 Dingus Staff
3 Ashnod’s Altar

Spells: 14
4 Reverse Polarity
3 Wrath of God
3 Kaervek's Torch
2 Fireballs
2 Retribution of the Meek

Land: 22
11 Plains
11 Mountians

Caste the mouth frothing townfolk for whatever massive tempo advantage they grant. Next either sac them to the altar as all good townfolk should be for nice lovely X BURN SPELL! Even better get the altar and staff out, cast Wrath, sac if it goes through, cast reverse polarity on staff, gain life (hopefully pop opponents) hit with burn for whatever they've got left. I imagined 4 Retribution of the Meek was awfully appropriate...but I realized hey these are townfolk, vicious, unrelenting tribe wizards was too scared to expand on...they knew things could get out of hand with these pilgrims.

Soul Sculptor works well with the Wrath,
Anarchist can fetch 12 of your 14 spells back from the graveyard
Vandals can destroy the Staff if it's just not working
Zealot is in fact pretty spiffy
Tragic Poet is good for a laugh

Add rare lands if so desired...but I really don't think this monstrosity could get more broken.

I'll see how she roles this weekend.

K

Killerbob

Very nice for a 2 min deck! :)
I have never seen the combo dingus staff+ ashnods altar+ reverse polarity before! :cool: seems VERY broken!

Now I have an idea for going infinite. I´m sure it wasnt what I was thinking of before (maybe this never worked), but it is possible. You need 1 phyrexian altar + 5 townsfolk (1 better be an anarchist)+ 1 patriarchs bidding/ living death + win condition. For each black mana you can produce, 1 townsfolk may be in the graveyard. You dont actually have to have 5 townsfolk in play -important.
1.make 5 black mana some way
2.play bidding (say "Townsfolk"! :) )
3.sac townsfolk for 5 black mana
4.play bidding again

A nice way to win could be cartographer + lands edge.
with 6 townsfolk you might have 2 anarchists and a chain lightning. Or schrivener and a bolt.
I like this idea -might build the deck anyway!

hmmm...be sure one of the townsfolk isnt an Icatian Moneychanger...

R

Rooser

Dude, that w/r deck is awesome. An everlasting w00t to you also.

If we're talking townsfolk, I've had a deck together for some time that abuses Scrivener.

The Scrivener isn't part of the main strategy or anything, but he fit in perfectly.

Its a w/u/r control deck that uses Lightning Angels for the kill. Most spells are blue, (A lot of them gold), so I run Sunscape Familiar. I realized I had a lot of instants and with the Familiar making things cheap I threw two Scriveners in on a whim, figuring I'd only be paying 3 or 4 for them, not 5.

Let me tell you, Scrivener is awesome. Up front I have the ability to re-use Fact or Fiction, Prophetic Bolt, or anything that gets dumped to a Fact or Fiction. More insidiously I can reuse my Life Bursts, (I'll gain 8 life AGAIN, HA HA!), if I'm in a tight spot.

But here's the fun part. I stumbled on this combo by accident. If I have two Aether Bursts in my graveyard, I can cast a Scrivener to Grab an Aether Burst. I use the burst to bounce an opposing crtter and my Scrivener. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

K

Killerbob

I have a dream of going to a T1 tournament, and manasrew everybody with a cartographer/oath/wasteland/petrified field deck. But I´m not sure it would work in the real world.

M

mythosx

the most success with anarchist was using it in a blue black combo...had four looters chuck creatures from my hand...buried alives, and a fallen angel... i could either play mass recovery or i had a reya dawn bringer in my grave yard....it was really messed up to bring back a sorcery every turn...

tahts a nice townsfolk deck...props...