An idea for abusing both Storm and Forgotten Ancient

R

Rooser

A lot of people have been conjecturing how to abuse the new Storm Ability , as well as Forgotten Ancient, by figuring out how to recursively put a bunch of spells on the stack. Well here's an engine that I've been fooling with for a while, and now it has two new abilities to make it more powerful.

Thaumatog and Rancor

You cast the Rancor for 1 mana, you sac it to the Thaumatog to make it +1/+1 until end of turn, and the Rancor goe back to your hand. Now you got 2 really big fatties running around!

T

train

That's not too bad...

:cool:

i was thinking of doing storm in the Enduring renewal deck...

Pebbles with Bam(-Bam)!!!!...

O

I have been toying around with the Equilibrum+Cloud of faries+Saphire medallion, and it's really slow. it's a three card combo, and it's really fragile.
so then i tried Alurn+Equilibrum+Cloud of faries...It's a little faster, with the green giving acess to mana easier, and blue used as drawing, well in short, it creates an infinant mana combo.
so i was using cards like Laquatus Champion and Capsize for kill. capsize is more of a controll card, with laquatus and the kill Via decking. so i really verred off the "storm" thing. but i guess you could put a brain freeze in it.
perhaps this will give some of you ideas, try it and post your deck lists. this could be interesting.

and another thing, those "dragons breath","...shade"...etc cards, those creature enchantments, are really cool i think.

Z

zendahl

Wow Offline, that deck sounds scrub-tacular!:p Come talk to me when you can beat the super zombies he he he. Just kidding man. I think you should just use this to do alot of nasty and not infinate nasty.

M

Mr_Pestilence

I think WotC designed "storm" specifically for Type I. The problem is, as usual, that Type I is able to abuse new mechanics to the point of absurdity.

Already, Mind's Desire has been restricted in Type I, and I predict it will be banned in the near future. Free spells?!? In Type I?!?!? Who exactly has been smoking how much crack?

The other "storm" spells, especially Brain Freeze are pretty darned ridiculous too.

If WotC was trying to throw the Type I players a bone, I think they screwed up.

Z

zendahl

Yes yes they are going to ban everything. Legions was an all creature set; Scourge is an all banned set. Type 1 has never tasted so good. I love you wizards R&D!;)

T

train

Already, Mind's Desire has been restricted in Type I
*Ferret and Train stand side by side, with a smug look on their face, then say...*

"We told you so...":p

Note: Still waiting for verification on this instance... but if verified, please see the statement above this one, in quotation marks...

R

Rooser

To be fair, Train and Ferret, nobody really argued with you about whether or not storm cards would get banned/restricted. Yes, you told us so, but only because you guys aggressively positioned youselves as the faux-prophets of the obvious.:p

T

train

Yes, you told us so, but only because you guys aggressively positioned youselves as the faux-prophets of the obvious
We'll send you all the bill...

oh...

And thanks for shopping with:

"We told you so!, Inc.":p

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm still waiting to hear rakso's word on the storm ability... he has a new article up and I think it's about Mind's Desire but haven't had a chance to read it yet...

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by train
We'll send you all the bill...

oh...

And thanks for shopping with:

"We told you so!, Inc.":p
Isnt' it great being always right? :p

-Ferret

"When will WotC learn????"

T

train

I wish my company would learn...

"You all may have degrees, and experience... but who was right?";)

M

Mikeymike

That is a solid combo Rooser, might as well include Enchantress' in there - you'll get some massive turns pretty easily.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Did anyone read rakso's article? It's on the front page... his opinion is that really only Mind's Desire needs to go, with maybe a couple other spells that are "strong" but not broken.

M

mythosx

this is ludicrous...why make spells that you are going to ban shortyly after....i remember when tolarian academy was under the same heat...screw this....makes it really hard to play this game....

T

train

But it ruins the smoothness of a legal set!... jk;)

I think it would be cool to have more banned - Just like Saga!...

R

Reverend Love

Spiderman I can't remember where (sorry) but in one of Rakso's posts on the drain he recites one of his experiments with the storm mechanic using brainfreeze. I remember he detailed the process of hurykl'ing moxes, card drawing, etc to play a silly amount of spells right before casting brain freeze. It's worth looking up.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I read it; I even posted a link to it on the front page, probably last week. I try to link to all of rakso's articles when he gives me notice that they're up :)

But he said Brainfreeze was worth watching (unless something's changed since then); it wasn't yet on the level of Mind's Desire.