Amazing Race

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, saw the "extra footage" show and wasn't too impressed. Mostly it was just a review of what happened in the previous episodes, there was hardly an "extra" footage that was worth seeing. I mean, Bolo pretending to be crippled? Freddy losing the first clue and Jonathon giving it back? Whoopee... :rolleyes: They needed some real dirt.

Unless they "seamlessly" wove it into the review, in which case I totally missed it :) The only thing I really got from it was how Kendra at least seemed to be a shallow, self-centered person from her reaction to the African leg while the other couple who frolicked in the water in Africa seemed pretty cool... I might be rooting for them now.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Saw half of last night's episode; forgot to set the tape and was in the middle of putting my daughter to bed before I remembered. So we missed how the wrestlers got back on track - all we saw is that they won the fast forward and got to the pitstop first.

We also missed Freddy's "meltdown" or whatever that the promos were showing.

We caught the tail end of the detour - it seemed everyone went for the polo except Gus and Hera and I think that proved to be the mistake that did them in. The soup roadblock turned out to be pretty gross - I loved when they showed a shot of the musicians covering their noses :) Jon was acting like an oink of course, but the kiss they showed afterwards was the first sign of affection I think from him. Of course, he went back to yelling at her when trying to find the pitstop.

Not sure what happened to Rebecca and Adam - they finished the soup second after Kris and other but it looked like Victoria and Jon caught Kris and whoever right at the pitstop so unless Victoria finished the soup right after Rebecca, it looked like Rebecca and Adam lost some time. I think their cabdriver didn't know where the "funicola" was but it went by pretty fast.

E

EricBess

Yeah, I noticed that with Rebecca and Adam, too. They seemed to have finished so much sooner, but showed up at the pitstop so much later. There must have been something there that we didn't see.

Bolo went back to recheck on the trains and found one that left at 2:30 in the morning. Since the cafe is open at night, it was still open when they got there.

The next challenge was at a railroad yard that opened at 10:00 in the morning, so Lori and Bolo had caught up. In fact, Lori and Bolo went straight to the railyard since it was only a couple of hourse from opening. Everyone else went to hotels to get some sleep.

When they opened the gate to the railyard, it fell back down and whacked Freddy in the face. It got Hera, too, but either not as hard or she just didn't complain about it.

Anyway, it was a mad dash to the stand where all of the numbers were where they had to draw for order on the rail car. Bolo got their first and grabbed the first number just as everyone else showed up and knocked the sign down.

That's where Freddy got mad and yelled at everyone about the gate hitting him in the face. He said if he found out who lowered the gate, he was going to break them. From what I saw, though, they tossed the gate up and it fell back due to gravity. Just that no one was really paying that much attention because they were all trying to get to the number board.

And about episode 3, that was sort of my point. It may have been a bit of a catchup point, but having catchup points that close to the end of the course sort of defeats the whole point of the competition. I think the road blocks being last in general is good, but they should be difficult without being based that much on luck.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ah. So that was lucky for the wrestlers. What made them decide to go for the Fast Forward if they were first at that point anyway?

I guess we're gonna have to disagree on the roadblock on episode 3. :) I think the sisters just got a bad break (note to train: It was 100 bales as mentioned by Phil again in the summary of episodes episode). The other teams might have found the ones near her (eventually) and the ones left were nowhere near here.

What would aid the discussion is stats like how long each team took to find the clue, where they started and how they picked bales to unroll, etc. We just need more info than what is shown to us :)

E

EricBess

True, we don't have all the data, but we do know that there were 200 bales to start with :D

So how about yesterday? I can't believe John. First of all, grabbing the first clue, everyone was basically together, so it looked like they knew the order the clue was grabbed more or less. How did he think he was so far ahead that he would have made it to the fast forward first?

And did you notice how getting behind because he chose to go to the fast forward was her fault, but as soon as they started passing other players on the road, it was, "darn, I'm good saving us like that."

And the best was when they got to the roadblock and he was saying, "Come on, choose, people are passing us", but then when she did choose, they got all the way to the wall and he says, "I didn't want to climb", so they switch after starting to put their gear on.

How does someone like that not realize what an idiot he is?

But the funniest last night was seeing Adam floating on the water, unable to reach the valve. I haven't figured them out. Rebecca keeps saying he needs to stop being a momma's boy, but then she never gives him a chance. Meanwhile, he keeps saying he's not this helpless little kid, but then has stuff like the suit happen to him. Is he just unlucky or unprepared?

Still, at this point, I'm rooting for Jon and Kris. I think they have it the most together of all the teams.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Watched it last night... :)

Yeah, I was so hoping for Jon and Victoria to come in last (unfortunately for Victoria, but it seems she puts up with it) but Hayden and Aaron spoiled that (More later). But I was wondering the same thing you were about J & V. And then at the end when they talk about not working together, well, DUH!

Not sure how Hayden and Aaron fell that far behind; maybe the troubles Hayden had when rappelling back down took longer than what was shown implied. If only they caught J & V at the end (and it was an elimination round).

If you mean when Rebecca wouldn't let Adam get the tickets to show his worth, I'm not sure I agree with you there. Getting tickets is fairly easy. Adam seems to get hung up on the physical stuff that the roadblocks or detours offer (and always calling for his mom :confused: ) It's the "solo" stuff he seems to have trouble with.

Yeah, Jon and Kris were the ones who were enjoying themselves in Africa in the "catchup" episode that I'm rooting for. :)

E

EricBess

From what I've seen, Adam doesn't really do well at being independant at all...

T

train

thanks for catching me up - I only caught the end of last week's episode - the non-elim...

Not sure whom exactly we are rooting for... We just find it funny that the wrestlers were going to use their "strength" to helpd them win the race, and it has only been used in a few spots...

more later...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's hard to tell, but I think they have the endurance for a footrace. And it helped when they had to pushing that cannon. But that rappel thing, I think they weren't using the climbing aid right but relying on their upper body strength, which tired them out (not that everyone else was using it correctly, but it just stood out with them with their strength and all).

T

train

Hopefully Spidey got to see this one... but I'll wait for confirmation from him on that...;)

T

train

I got to make and take the time whenever I can...;)

No more cushiony job with the internet to search all day...:(

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
All right, saw the episode over the weekend...

I'm so glad Jon and Victoria got eliminated!!!!

They must have a strange relationship because even after what we as the public saw, Victoria is staying with Jon. Wierd...

I love how Kris and John? are staying under the radar... my wife still asks who they are. They just haven't done anything to draw attention to themselves. And all the preview stuff has shown clips from other couples, never them... I think it's pretty funny :)

For the detour, I would have thought raising the roof would have been the best bet. Maybe the card made it sound pretty hard. I mean, the wrestlers didn't even do it.

And Adam is still a puzzler. What the heck was he thinking in the roadblock? He's just lucky Jon and Victoria had to go back to get another donkey (which was a huge misplay on their part and for which they paid).

So still rooting for Kris and John...

T

train

I'm also glad J & V are gone...

the episode was interesting with the whole misplay part - but as these races go on it seems the players make more of those... maybe it's the wear on their rest... but it could be very costly...

;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, we actually got to watch the tape last night, but to be honest, not a lot to say.

Adam is still coming off as a "baby", especially during the train scene. I'm a bit confused as to why he started blaming Rebecca for the delay when up to then, it didn't really look like anyone's fault (maybe traffic and the driver, but not her).

This episode exposed my pet peeve: how set times for places like airline departures or store openings basically "reset" the game for everyone as they can catch up. This is supposed to be a race, yet it's really just who can find the better driver or follow directions. They ought to just shuttle the players around to each site and just time how fast they can do the challenges.

So Bolo and Lori's mistake was costly in the Roadblock. Unlike Jon and Victoria, it was more apparent that their yelling at each other was their way of communicating when they're frustrated and seemed more even since both were equally doing the yelling and giving it back.

It was slightly funny to see everyone after Kris and John go for the pitstop instead of swimming the pool :)

T

train

I think it was a good episode in how the simple "reading" of the additional information can save a lot of heartache and keep you in the game...

Adam is the biggest ***** I've seen on the show thus far... what was sad is Rebecca's stating that if it meant being his girlfriend to finish the race, she would...

That's determination...:eek:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I think it's more facing reality. I think she feels she's pulling the team and if everything is "happy", things would go smoother, but I bet once the show is over (or right now, as it is), she's not with him...