Amazing Race 16

E

EricBess

I haven't seen the first 20-minutes or so yet, so I can't comment on the airplane thing, but yeah, I couldn't believe the number of dumb mistakes that were being made. I came in when the pagent couple were heading back for their coconut, so I didn't see what happened with the backpack, but I thought it was odd they were making such a deal about that when other teams didn't seem to have theirs on, either. I got the impression a lot of backpacks were left on the beach somewhere...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's what we thought, it looked like everyone left their backpack when they had to swim out to boat for the Roadblock. Maybe they swam with it on though.

T

train

I couldn't believe the number of dumb mistakes being made either... As for the distance to swim - I know now that teams would have to be physically fit to make that... I didn't see anyone use any sort of life-saving device...

Glad it was a non-elim for the cowboys...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, that one cop was questionable... he said he just floated on his back and paddled away, swallowing water as he went... but it wasn't like that one past season where two members from different teams had either a definite fear of water/swimming and wore life vests while doing laps in a pool...

E

EricBess

If by "cool", you mean "get eliminated"...

Okay, just kidding. Let's just say that there is not one, but two challenges, that only the cowboys do, and the one the other teams have the option of, the cowboys do very well. The only other team that even tried it ended up failing miserably.

Last week, the cowboys made about every dumb mistake they could have. This week, they redeemed themselves in a very nice way.

I just wish that the daddy, daughter team had been a bit more on the ball so the brothers would have gotten eliminated. I'm afraid the girlfriends are too competative to eliminate any time soon :(, but the brothers get more and more annoying each time.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Woo! And first place even! The first to go from last (and with a speed bump!) to first!

They did seem to fly through the challenge, especially the one that did it on his first try. They made it look so easy, I'm wondering why it was hard for the Steve and Allie :) It seemed the poles were too heavy or something? I don't know...

Speaking of which, they went from first to last on a stunning reversal. I still don't understand why they couldn't go back and get their backpacks from last week during the rest stop period but maybe teams aren't allowed to leave the area once they're there? I don't know...

Yeah, the brothers and Carol/Brandi need to go...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, one out of two wishes granted... hopefully the brothers will do a freefall next round :)

Cowboys finished third, not bad...

I can't remember anything really exceptional about this episode, even though I saw it last night... I mean, Brandi and Carol complaining about getting U-Turned and insulting Caite again, but that just reinforces their personalities...

E

EricBess

Yeah, we mentioned a long time ago that there are some challenges that come easy (like the steer roping) and some not so much (like the drums). Rythm just wasn't the cowboy's thing, but at least they stuck it out.

I was hoping the girls would give up and go to the other challenge, only to get U-turned and have to come back.

I'm actually surprised that nobody went to the ice cream first. That didn't seem to be that difficult a challenge. If they are used to buying ice cream from street vendors, then it's not going to be overly difficult, and it didn't seem like it was. Very cool of the taxi driver to buy the last 10 for the cops, I wonder what he did to keep them from melting.

The drums looked like a fairly long performance once all was said and done, so even with good rythm, memorizing all of that must have taken an hour or two, I would think.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I think they all thought that the drumming wouldn't be that complicated - just "hit the drum", you know? Then I guess most of the figured it was easier to stick it out than switch - at least they could see others progress.

E

EricBess

I also wonder how much the U-Turn played into not wanting to switch. I mean, if you switch and then you get U-turned anyway...you might as well just stick it out.

If I were comfortable that no one was gunning for me, maybe...I think the cops must have felt pretty confident, but I'm not sure why they so convinced that the brothers wouldn't have taken on the fast forward.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, you don't know if you've been U-Turned until you complete the Detour. I don't think the lesbians expected to be U-Turned anyway, but when Carol was having trouble with the drumming, she didn't stick it out because she figured they were going to be U-Turned and would have to do it anyway, but because other teams were still there and as long as they were around, at least they knew where they stood.

I'm not sure about the cops either - maybe they were just hoping and gambling and/or maybe they did know of one of the brother's fear of heights? I'm actually surprised more teams didn't go for the fast forward...

T

train

Yeah - I'm glad the ladies are gone... and looking for Bros. to next...

I completely understand the strategic part the ladies were trying to explain - but you can't get past the basic human notion of revenge or to "get back" at someone... So Caite said to U-Turn them, and poof!...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Plus, you don't have to finish #1 to be the "strongest" (except in the final leg :D ) Any of the teams remaining are strong just by virtue of still being in the race...

E

EricBess

Well, and the thing they were saying was true, that having been first several times doesn't really matter in the long run.

I think that it was all just one more proof of what was being said anyway. Ultimately, there is diplomacy in a game like this and every team ends up thinking, "If I don't win, who would I feel worse about having won instead" and if you are going to feel okay coming in second to the Cops, but kick yourself for coming in second to the lesbians, then which team are you going to U-Turn?

Yes, you could argue that you have a better chance of coming in first if you U-turn the other team, but deserving to win is an important part of a game like this and the fact that they complain about it and called them idiots for having U-turned them just proves the point.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think it also shows that it pays to develop good relationships with others from the very beginning. You don't have to be buddy-buddy necessarily, but you don't have to bad-mouth others either (or at least in public when others can hear you and relay your comments to the other teams).

T

train

I agree on the diplomacy and relationships notes... I just wonder what the lesbians are thinking now that they actually see the comments they were making which they may have thought weren't audible to others before, though some of course were...