Amazing Race 16

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Saw the first episode, will try to stay caught up as it shows :)

First impressions are that this is one of the most careless groups so far in the show... 2 time penalties for not following the clues all the way and one unfortunate team who couldn't finish the roadblock (that's not careless, just lumped it in).

Already have a slight dislike to the straight brother-gay brother team for their snarky comments about the Miss Teen whatever-state team...

Amazing comeback by the cops, who were 9th going into the roadblock, 5th going into or coming out of the paint challenge, and ended up 3rd at the pitstop.

Amazingly bad luck about that first plane flight that got delayed too...

No immediate challenge from the start where one team gets eliminated right off the bat this time :)

E

EricBess

I missed the first minute or two, switching it on just as they were running for their backpacks, so I basically missed each team introducing themselves.

I agree with you. If everyone isn't a bumbling idiot this season, it's only that there are so many bumbling idiots that the non-bumbling idiots don't stand out yet. The cowboys? Chile and Brazil are both in South America so they think that it would be better to get Reales rather than keep their dollars? Really? And the other team that went inside the house and ended up painting a huge wall. Did any of these people read the clue. The team that got a 30-minute penalty because they apparently didn't. And their comment about "we really got second". Well, that's true, but being the fastests won't help if you keep getting penalties.

How about the guys that "looked everywhere" for the houses to paint, but when someone asked about the steep hill said, "That's the one place we haven't looked yet". Yeah, the producers wouldn't make it that hard, right?

Oh, and I was also trying to get my kids quiet and to bed, so I missed the plane thing. Did just one team get bumped to the next flight or was it all 3?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You didn't miss much in the beginning, that part is kinda dopey.

Oh yeah, the money-changing and the painting the inside. The money changing *might* have been a good idea if they changed for the right currency.

All three teams got rescheduled for the other flight - no one was "bumped", but since the plane was going to be exchanged for another one, two of the teams decided rather than wait however long that might be, to get tickets for the other flight. The third team was sitting down and not really doing anything until they saw the other teams get tickets and thought, hey, better not be left behind.

E

EricBess

Yeah, I agree that changing the money when you have the chance is a great idea that most teams don't think about...but what would make you think that using Reales in Chile would be a good idea? I suppose they figured that it would be easier to at least have a currency that was used "nearby", but being cowboys, I wonder if they considered whether or not they would be willing to accept Mexican pesos....perhaps where they live, that's common, but not here in Southern California. On the other hand, most towns south of the border are willing to take US dollars (perhaps less so recently :D).

I just found it so ironic because they don't even speak the same language in Brazil and Chile, nor do they border each other.

Makes sense on the planes, then. It must have been the 3rd team that I saw. The moral of the story is that mixing teenagers with younger kids and expecting them to be quiet every night when going to be just isn't realistic. You'd think I would have learned that by now, but there are also plenty of nights when they do obey :D.

T

train

Saw this one and agree with both your initial comments... I'm up for South Carolina "redeeming" herself... but sheesh - she thought the places were in China to begin with... WTH!!!... that's not the right path to redemption sweetie...

I don't think they'll win it out - but looking forward to good comp. from the grandmother/granddaughter team...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
<shrug> I don't think her comments were all everyone was making them out to be. She knows she made a mistake as soon as she started speaking, so it's not like she's totally ignorant. It seemed to be on-the-spot jitters.

I hope the grandmother/granddaughter team does well also, but they better pick it up since they came in the bottom 3 for this leg...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Got to see this one...

Wow, the mistakes keep piling up. Not to say that people haven't done these before, but I think the sheer amount of them in an episode is staggering ;)

Such as the brothers getting lost (and not releasing the emergency brake when starting out), the cops missing the Roadblock and going all the way to the city, the Big Brother and Teen USA teams missing their connecting bus... wow.

The cowboys jumped out in front for me, based on their performance yesterday. They did get some lucky brakes but they remain pretty humble ("Oh My Gravy" :D ) And since they didn't come across as jerks in the first show, them not telling the other two teams that their connecting bus was leaving at a different terminal didn't see bad, but actually kind of funny :)

Too bad about the grandmother/granddaughter team but I think they were outclassed... used the last arriving bus and just didn't seem to be all in a hurry for being near the bottom. They had a slight chance when the cops were late to the roadblock but he finished it before the grandmother so they lost out.

T

train

yeah... team-granny goes bye-bye...

I'm definitely disappointed in the DETECTIVES... I wonder if they got the job based on tenure and not clue/evidence-reading skills... sheesh...

As for the cowboys - I thought it very cool for them to win... and it was almost like the cows knew they could trust the cowboy... other teams got kicked, etc. by the same cow - so they must've been doing something wrong... heh...

As for the princess - "San Jose - H-O-S-E..." c'mon... at some point - Ron White says it best "You can't fix stupid..." I'm not trying to be judgemental - she's just laying all out there for eeeevvvvveeerrrryyyyyoooonnnneeee to see...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Which "princess" are you talking about? 'Cause that was the girl from Big Brother...

The detectives could be excused because they were "driving too fast" and missed the full name or description of the place, I can't remember... although they should have gone back and double-checked if they weren't sure.

T

train

Spiderman;289671 said:
Which "princess" are you talking about? 'Cause that was the girl from Big Brother...

The detectives could be excused because they were "driving too fast" and missed the full name or description of the place, I can't remember... although they should have gone back and double-checked if they weren't sure.
I was talking about Carolina - but I guess i had the wrong girl - shame on me... but no-less shame on Big Sister...

I can see the detectives driving too fast - but in this sort of game, that's something that could eliminate you as well...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it's not really an excuse for them in this kind of game, but I guess that would be the reason (I hope) for them missing it. It sounds better than them just not paying attention flat-out :)

E

EricBess

The girl on Amazing Race was Miss Teen USA or something like that (did she win or was just a contender?). But the "H-O-J-E" was this week.

I think I pretty much agree with everything said. I wasn't impressed by the cowboys last week and I watched this recorded, so when I first saw what you wrote, I was inclined to disagree, but they have grown on me a bit.

I'm not sure, given the circumstances, whether it is better to say, "Hey, we're already way ahead of 7 other teams, it's not going to hurt to tell these 2 something to help them, or if you just sit back and say nothing like they did.

Honestly, though, had I been in that situation of realizing at the last moment that I was at the wrong place, I would have changed plans and taken the bus that the cowboys were on instead of risking missing both of them like they did. Not a very smart move. Given that there was still a 1:00 am bus, they still were okay, but it wasn't really clear how much of a lead the cowboy's had. They breezed through all of the animal challenges (LLama whisperer :D), so they would probably have won anyway, but I was surprised that they didn't ever even see any of the other teams. After all, they had to wait until 7:00 am just to get through the gate, so they certainly lost some of their lead on that.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, you can kinda call two girls "princess": The Miss Teen contender (I don't think she won) and the girl who did win Big Brother. The one with the spelling gaffe was from Big Brother - she's gotten a lot of air time really, more so than the Miss Teen team.

I'm not sure, given the circumstances, whether it is better to say, "Hey, we're already way ahead of 7 other teams, it's not going to hurt to tell these 2 something to help them, or if you just sit back and say nothing like they did.
True, but even though it's only the second episode, there hasn't been much interaction shown between the cowboys and other teams (and the two in particular with them). They don't seem all that unapproachable, so who knows how close they are with them. I'm guessing not too close, since the cowboys and the two teams arrived at the station independently from each other and didn't work together to get there. So helping them actually would seem out of character so far.

I agree that the other two teams should have just stayed and taken the same bus as the cowboys. Maybe they thought the buses weren't punctual and they could have gotten there to hold it, but it's only 30 minutes difference.

The cowboys did see the other teams when they headed back from the island and they saw other boats coming towards the island, but since it looked like they did the llama challenge so quickly and the others took longer, they just got a good lead and kept it.

E

EricBess

Oh, I didn't realize that there was someone on this season that was on Big Brother. I thought you were actually referring to something that had happened on that show. Like I said, I missed the first 5-10 minutes of the first show with all the intros :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Jet and Cord are definitely growing on me, they had a number of funny quips in this episode.

People still making mistakes - Jordan and Jeff (Big Brother) not reading their clue all the way and thus not knowing who the "lead bandit" is, the police guys doing a grid search? and not following the stepping of the clue, the Asian group (well, really the guy) just thinking he could go off and find it using his watch... man, this is going to catch up to them at some point. They're just lucky so far that other teams are making worst mistakes or too far behind to make up.

Like the moms who got eliminated... it looked like they spent the longest at the lassoing and then did three tries with the polo before switching over to the treasure hunt, which they seemed to get right away. If they had done that first, they might have still been in it.

E

EricBess

Yes, I like the cowboys, too. I sort of agree that several of the challenges recently have been right up their ally, but I can't help but think that this won't last, so it doesn't really bother me. I thought it was great when he commented about how he wasn't going to be able to live down missing on the first attempt. Speaking of that, it sure seemed to me that they dragged that out. He tossed the first lasso and you couldn't tell it he it or not, but then it seemed like they showed everyone else at least twice before coming back and showing him again.

I really don't like the lesbian couple, way too much bickering and they take it all very personally. There are a couple of other teams that are annoying too, but not to that level.

The Big Brother team, I'm not sure what to make of. When they were asked where the station was, they said they didn't know and then said, "what was he talking about?" but instead of trying to figure out what he was talking about, they took 3 bags to the gunslinger. Sloppy.

I disagree with you, BTW, about the cops. They were the only team that tried to be smart about the challenge, and while they did do a grid search, the first thing they did was to sit down and plot all 4 of the "steps" to get a rough idea rather than trying to step it out exactly. Considering that so many teams tried that challenge and only 1 ended up finding their bag (the rest switched challenges), their approach seemed like a very good idea to me and I had even commented to my wife that I was surprised no one was doing that. So when the cops did it, I was really hoping they would find the bag very quickly and was disappointed that they ended up having to switch. It would have been interesting to know just how close they ended up to their bag.

I definitely agree about the Asian guy, "I don't need to count, the counting is for people who don't have a compass..." What??? Because the compass counts for you?

I don't know that the moms really made any "mistakes". They probably saw a lot of people switch to the polo challenge, so making the decision to switch couldn't have been easy. And while they seemed to find the bag easily, it also seems like they edit a lot more out when it comes down to just one team, so who knows and they had already resolved to "not quit". It did seem like it wasn't significantly darker when they came in than the team in front of them, so that seems to indicate that it didn't take them long, but hard to know for sure.

But I think it was the lassoing that cost them more than that anyway and having a hard time with that couldn't be considered a mistake. Just a really bad match. It's too bad really. I never really even noticed the moms before this week. I guess they sort of blended into the background. But what I saw of them this week, I really started respecting them and was sorry to see them go.

The only other thing I wanted to comment on was the polo....I'm not a polo player, but I'd be curious to know what the difference was. It seemed to me that a lot of people were trying to use the polo mallet like it was a croquet mallet or something, hitting the ball with the small side. When they switched and stuck it broad, it went a lot farther and there were fewer difficulties. In fact, on of the brothers commented about knowing how to hit it now. But they didn't make it clear, so I'm not sure whether that is what happened or not, it was just the impression I got. Did you get that same impression about "hitting it correctly"?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Agree about the lesbian couple. Probably the other team that grates on me is that brother team where one's straight and one's gay.

Maybe I didn't understand what the cops were doing then or how they went about doing it. I thought the challenge was to step one way however many steps, then turn in the next direction and step that many steps, and repeat two more times. It looked to me like the cops were starting from the post and stepping each way however many times and then whatever square resulted was their grid. But that way doesn't mean that your stash will be in the grid - if you go NE for 20 and E for 10, that puts your effectively E for 30, while what I thought the cops were doing would be E for 10 and NE for 20, so they miss out on the extra steps to the east.

Yeah, I didn't mean the moms really made any mistakes, just different decisions could have resulted in a faster time. But that's easy to say and see in hindsight :)

About the polo, I think different ways worked for different people. I think the cowboys were hitting it on the mallet head and doing fine, while others had success with the broadside part (and some with the mallet head too). So I think it just depended on the team.

T

train

I saw bits and pieces of this one...

Overall, glad the boys got tops again... agree with you all on not knowing how long they can keep that up...

as for the moms getting eliminated - I didn't have many pros or cons for them, but I would rather have seen the gay/straight brothers gone... Same could be for the man that needs no compass...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So the cowboys dropped back a little... not sure how that exactly happened, as they were 1-2 with the officers after the Intersection challenge... I guess the subway took longer than taking a taxi to the next cluebox.

That's a lot of beer to drink :) My wife was asking well, what if a person doesn't drink alcohol/beer and sure enough the first team to come along to say that was the cowboys (The Big Brother team was next). So that's a lot of beer to drink for one person.

The soccer challenge was set up better this time than when they had it last against a live goalie. I thought when they had the live person, they went too easy on the players :)

I was hoping either the lesbian or the gay/straight brother teams would be eliminated, but Big Brother and Miss America teams got so delayed that they fell behind. And it turned out to be a non-elim leg anyway...

Funny how in the beginning, I guess there wasn't any "drama" getting on the plane to Hamburg that they didn't bother showing the start times or any of that stuff for the rest of the teams after the first :)