Amazing Race 15

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's this one, showing how they lost their passport, but I can't view it from work.

yeah, our bottom two is the poker girls and the lawyer/girlfriend. We don't really have a clear favorite; all of the rest are okay.

E

EricBess

Yep, that's it. Since you cannot watch it at work, I'll give you the rundown (you can watch later). At the monkey challenge, there was some temple that they ended up going into because they had misread the clue. It was dark, so Justin pulled his head lamp out of his bag and the passport apparently came with it.

They got to the embassy and the passport was already there at the front desk, waiting for them. When they found out where it was (right inside the temple), they realized immediately what had happened.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Done cleaning, got to see it...

Woo! I'm so glad the lawyer/girlfriend are eliminated, but man, did they make tons of mistakes anyway...

Not much else to say really, everyone else is pretty nice, although I wonder if the poker girls would have stayed with Dan/Sam had the situation with the car been reversed. But it did seem that a replacement car arrived pretty quick.

And man, 130 degrees for building the snowman? And coming from 28 degrees? Mika and partner should have taken off their jackets :)

E

EricBess

I have to say, at the beginning of the season, I thought that Lance, the lawyer, would be one of those guys with no patience that would be yelling at his parter all the time. Dispite all of their setbacks, he was pretty level-headed. But they were both pretty disrepectful to the natives. In the desert challenge, he broke one of the pots, tipped over the one they used and spilt the remaining water, and then just threw the stuff right at the guy's feet. And I don't think that the girl at the snowman was very happy that he wanted to just kick it down. I wasn't even sure she understood what he was asking.

So yeah, I'm happy that they are gone, too.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think he *was* yelling at his partner all this time. But I also think that off-camera/during the pitstop time, they've been working out their differences and it's been clear these past couple of episodes that Lance toned it down and didn't blame his girlfriend as much. But in the beginning, it was as though it was her fault all the time.

But yeah, he was pretty disrespectful this past episode.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Keeping up with this show so I'm not falling behind on two reality shows... :D

Again, it's a shame that Mika couldn't conquer her fear and try the slide, which put them in last place and thus eliminated, but that happens. What sucks and caused them to lose a few respect points are Big Easy and Flight Time, who tried to trash talk her and psych her out into not going. I can see how they might have though it's part of the game, but it seems they would have seen how really frightened she was and backed off. Not very cool.

I was bit surprised at how far apart the starting times were for this leg.

I was also a bit surprised at how few people knew the calculations needed to go the gold challenge. A case for when people will need math later in their life... :)

Amazing at how 15 years ago, that place was just desert and now it's a big city, complete with an indoor ski place and that enormous waterpark/pitstop. Shows the power of oil :)

E

EricBess

I don't think you can fault the Globetrotters too much. They just arrived and really had no idea how long Mika and Canaan had been there, nor the extent of her fear.

I don't think Canaan handled it very well, though, either. She might have had an easier time had he not tried to push so hard. When he finally went down first, I was thinking that maybe he should have done that right from the start. There was the other team where the guy said that he wanted to go second because he was afraid that she wouldn't go if he went first, so I understand why Canaan didn't want to go first, but at that point, either she is going to go or not and if you aren't really being supportive of the fear, then you shouldn't be right there.

I'm curious what sort of penalty they would have incurred had they just moved on. So, right from the start, Canaan goes down first and grabs the clue. Then Mika decides she can't do it and meets him at the bottom and they run together to the mat. Historically, it seems like there would have probably been a time penalty of some sort. They have made people go back for things before, though, so it's unclear exactly what would have happened, but it would have been interesting to know.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's not shown but it could have come out during talks in past pitstops (such as reactions to those other height challenges that was shown as flashbacks) and they should have stopped after Canaan asked them to.

I think Canaan was getting a little frustrated, understandably so, as the minutes were ticking away. I think he was patient at first though.

We were wondering what Mika was thinking by using water wings. I mean, psychologically, maybe it helps, but realistically, they aren't going to support her in the water as they're designed for toddlers :)

I don't think she would have gone if Canaan had gone first right away; I think she needed his support, but like you say, as time went on, he was being more pushy and not supportive. I think he almost had her going but then the Globetrotters arrived so we'll never know.

I think they would have incurred a time penalty for not completing the challenge.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Brian and Erica got a good break, since the poker girls couldn't do either of the detour challenges... man, they made up two hours from the Roadblock challenge too. And survived the time penalty.

Not much else to say, the other teams just seem like decent guys overall (the Globetrotters explained more about their trash-talking to Mika) and they all finished reasonably well.

E

EricBess

I had a choir practice last night, so I got home half-way through. I still need to go back and watch the first half, but from what I saw, the poker girls just lacked the physical strength to accomplish either task and the more they focused on one, the more they wore themselves out. On the one hand, it's a shame that they are eliminated not because they couldn't perform "as well" as the other teams, but because they couldn't perform either detour at all. On the other hand, they have already been saved twice from elimination, once by a non-elimination round and once because of some serious bad-luck for another team losing their passports, so as far as I'm concerned, it's probably about time they are finally gone. I didn't dislike them as a team so much, but still...

Yeah, looking at the remaining teams, I'm not sure there really is anyone that stands out as either a great team or an annoying team. It was a bit distracting last night that they were all basically wearing the same outfit, though. Coming in half-way through, I was having trouble figuring out who was who :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, they just lacked the physical strength (especially the Asian with the bell-ringing one), but the constant switching between the two tasks probably didn't help much, especially after the first time they tried golf and went into the cold water.

They got better than from the beginning, but I'm not sad to see them go either.

T

train

I was glad to see the ladies go by the wayside... but it was odd how two weeks in a row there was elim for non-completion... I don't think I've seen that in any other season...

But - we were rooting for the trotters and are glad they made it...

As for Erica - I don't see how she has made it through any part of life so far...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I was saying to my wife how in the past 15 seasons, I don't think there's really been any teams quit on challenges, and then you get two right here...

Well, I can understand Erica's frustration if she spent two hours+ in the bell tower trying to count the bells for what, five times total? while everyone else got it the first time (admittedly, the poker girls got the answer from Sam/Dan). Plus, the frustration of not being able to start the car to start with and then having to walk all that way in those shoes and THEN finding out they were supposed to ride a bike... it was just a bad day.

E

EricBess

From the previews, you know that they have the hay-pushing challenge again. You already know my opinion on that. I can't stand needle-in-haystack challenges that are effectively completely random. It ended up more or less okay as all but one team had trouble finding a flag and no one ended up quitting. I won't say too much more until you see it because I don't want to give anything away, but I'm glad that things worked out the way they did, given the circumstances.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Saw it. Yeah, this episode was kinda "blah", in that the Detour wasn't that "hard" and everyone chose it (poor Viking guy!) and everyone flew through the preliminary clue boxes leading up to that point (that amusement park looks pretty cool). With the hay stacks, Sam and Dan took the longest; I'm guessing over 3 hours, but yeah, no one quit and it was a non-elim leg, which was cool.