Amazing Race 14?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Mike and Michael got another lucky break, being a non-elimination round.... still they are making lots of mistakes. I didn't know about the rule about not being able to trade personal possessions on the Race (although it makes sense), but man, them and the sisters not going back for their packs, especially when the younger sister said they should, is like a boneheaded move. Always carry everything with you!

E

EricBess

Yeah, they made a point of showing the mother/son passing their bags across the boat and about the blondes turning their boat around, so I was thinking that another team might forget. Two teams though, that's funny.

I'm curious what would have happened had one of the teams just decided to leave their possessions with the taxi...I mean, the sisters decided to, but their passports were in the fanny pack, so they had to go back for them. Phil made a point of saying that they needed their "travelling papers", but what about their bags? Would they just have received a penalty for leaving the taxi driver waiting or would they have been told that they needed to go back and pay the taxi driver?

I think that the purpose of the rule about not using personal belongings is less about cheating the locals and more about living within the amount given. After all, if it were allowed, what's to stop someone from bringing 10 nice watches? Personally, I think the sisters begging a taxi driver to take them for free is worse in terms of ethics (not to mention next to impossible for a couple of guys), so if there is no penalty for that, then it has to be based on living on what they give you.

I agree that not taking your bags with is a bad move, but I think that the reason for it is that if you expect to be leaving again from the same location, keeping your stuff with the taxi (in theory) keeps the taxi driver from leaving. After all, how often do you see people struggling to find a new taxi? I would almost be more concerned about the taxi driver going through my stuff and deciding that it was enough to warrent just taking off anyway.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Good questiom about leaving just their bags. Beats me... I think that part doesn't affect the game itself so they wouldn't be penalized... just have to pay a monstrous taxi bill after the Pitstop which would affect their cash flow later.

Teams always ask their taxis to wait without leaving their stuff behind so I don't think that's it. I think they just took a chance and paid for it.

E

EricBess

I've wondered about that taxi waiting thing. When people ask the taxi driver to wait without leaving their stuff behind, do they usually pay for the current leg of the journey? I know it can be difficult in some areas for a taxi driver to find a toll, so waiting for a known customer is a good idea, but I have to wonder if the taxi driver would be willing to wait on the assumption that they will be back to pay for where they have already driven.

It doesn't really affect anything, but I'm kind of curious. If they had already paid, then I guess worse case scenario is that the taxi driver brings the bags back to the station and moves on.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm guessing they don't pay because if the meter is still running, it's a big fare, but then, there's always camera crews around so the taxi drivers figure they're not gonna get stiffed...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the Mike and Michael? Matt and Michael? anyways, the stuntmens fate was pretty much sealed since they had to start nearly four hours after the rest of the teams. Usually they could catch up on the flights, but everyone got a flight pretty early, so that didn't seem to be a problem. Their speed bump didn't seem to take too long, they just couldn't overcome the time barrier.

And of course, the brouhaha between Luke and Jen. We only see what is shown, but honestly, from the couple of replays from the first altercation, it really looked like Luke "started it" or was in the wrong, giving Jen the arm/shoulder/whatever first. She may have pushed him into the clue box slightly and he felt he had to push her back to keep his balance though - it's hard to tell.

But really, fighting over the clue box? They're both there at the same time, so does it really matter who gets their clue first? You wait your turn and 5 seconds later, get your clue.

It was kinda funny how they both missed it coming up to the salon though - they saw the Speed Bump right away but missed the box that was right in front of that :)

E

EricBess

See, I disagree about the first altercation. Kesha commented that they "arrived at the clue box at the same time.", but it was clear to me that Luke got their first and she came plowing into him and tried to reach over his shoulder for the clue. Yes, his hand went up, but I think it was a reflexive move with no intent to hit or push, but more to defend himself.

The second altercation, he clearly came plowing into her, so neither was without fault.

As for the name-calling, I think some people have become so desensitized to certain words that they say them reflexively and I think that she called him a name the first time, I think that is what it was. Things happened so quickly that she just let it out. But neither was apologetic, either, which I think is where the biggest problem lies.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'd have to see it again, but from what I remember, I don't think she got as far as reaching over him. He just put up an arm to get her away, it looked like.

I don't think the name-calling was reflex because they both said Luke pulled a "***-move" and that's why she called him a ***. So it sounds like they either had experience pulling or being the "victim" of such a move in the past and that's their reaction. Well, I guess it was a reflex in that respect, but a prepared one.

E

EricBess

Honestly, if someone who can't swim (at all) were to be on Survivor, I would really be wondering about what they were thinking even applying for the show. With Amazing Race, you don't see swimming challenges all that frequently, but you would still think that people would want to be a bit more prepared. After all, there are frequently boating challenges and a fear of water just doesn't seem to be a good idea for any of these shows. I have to say that even though they have done it before, I didn't see the ending coming.

I guess I should have because at the beginning of the day, they made a point of 1) the blondes making a big deal about how they have never had a first place and that they really want one, and 2) Margie and Luke being determined that the Kesha and Jen not be in the final three. The ending was just a bit too serendipitous, so there should have been an expectation of a twist. They used to do this once each season, but it seems like they haven't done it in the previous two or three.

The one thing that I thought was odd was the diving challenge. Both teams that tried it seemed to be focused on trying to be straight and just exactly the same way as the example person. They didn't seem to realize that they weren't being judged on how well they jumped individually, but whether or not they entered the water together. Victor even commented once on how "he" got a specific score, which gave me the impression that he thought each judge was looking at one or the other of them and not both judges looking at both of them together. What do they think "synch" means?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, to be honest, I haven't seen or remember any challenges that involved actual swimming for the Amazing Race. Boating, fishing, yes, but not actual swimming. So it's not too unexpected that they aren't familiar with water (although I wonder how many of the teams that got eliminated are good in the water). Tammy even took lessons though, in preparation for the Race.

I didn't get that there'd be a twist; I guess I don't remember that kind of stuff like you do (unless it happens regularly). But I guess it gives Kiesha and Jen some time to make up now that they won't be eliminated for now :)

Yeah, I agree about the sync diving too. It seemed they were making it harder than it should have been.

E

EricBess

To be fair to Jen, the swimming challange did allow a floatation devise, which both she and Kesha used. And there have been plenty of people on the race that have had a fear of height that they've had to overcome. She really did stuggle, but she did it, so you have to give her credit for that, even if it did take them twice as long as any of the other groups (the other 3 teams took between 8 and 11 minutes, they took just over 18). Still, considering that the leg is not over, they are less than 1/2 hour behind Tammy and Victor, so they are hardly out of it.

The first time they split it into 2 episodes, they didn't have Phil standing on the mat, they just had a very long leg. They've definitely done Phil standing on the mat with a clue before. For a while, they seemed to do it once per season, but the last few seasons they haven't.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yeah, I think she was gutsy when she finished it out.

Yeah, I know they've done it with Phil standing on the mat before, I just couldn't really tell that this was such an episode like you said earlier. At the end, they did focus on Tammy and Victor/Keisha and Jen finishing the Roadblock instead of the teams finishing, so by then maybe a viewer could tell, but I couldn't before then...

E

EricBess

Did I give the impression that I could tell? Nope, I was completely blind sided. I was just commenting that there were a few things that in retrospect might have been hints that this was going to happen.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Whoops, I must have missed your statement that you were blind-sided too. I saw the reasons why it should have been expected and thought you were just listing them as to why you expected it. Sorry :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, a bathroom break is all what separated the last team for the top 3? For a million dollars? Man, I think I might have just peed on myself instead of taking a break...

E

EricBess

Honestly, I had a real problem with last night's episode. The bathroom break, yeah, but if you watched how quickly she was running before taking the bathroom break, I'm not sure that it didn't actually get them to the mat sooner. Honestly, I got the impression that the bigger issue was trying to find the mat and taking a break might have gotten their heads in the game sooner.

Speaking of trying to find things, the cheerleaders should have been gone. They spent more time trying to find this place instead of going back to the start than Kesha and Jen spent doing the second detour, and you know that there was a ton of editing. I'm guessing that the second detour took at least 1-2 hours minimum. They were back and forth trying to write down and memorize pronunciation several times.

And it was Luke who said it last night - they aren't going to put the U-turn too far away from the challenges. Everyone should have realized the same thing and looked close instead of walking for hours and hours. They seriously deserve to have been eliminated for that alone, particularly since they were told several times that it was a good idea and the teams that did so didn't show up again, did they?

Now, I'm no huge fan of Kesha and Jen's, but I really take issue with last night's episode. Basically, it got me a bit irritated. Your two detour choices are 1) go to the opera and put on a bunch of makeup and an outfit and take a bow. Not really challenging, but certainly time-consuming. Second choice 2) Go to a restaurant and memorize some chinese phrases. Honestly? Memorize chinese phrases? Now, I know that the show isn't always fair and some people have inherent advantages over other people, but this was a total non-challange for Tammy and Victor who already speak chinese natively. And between you and me, the way Victor was carrying on about how they have it in the bag because they did so well this leg...really? Do you honestly not realize that it was a non-challange for you?

I think all the other teams had the same reaction I would have had - memorizing these phrases is going to be a huge pain and take forever...I'm going to go to the opera...so while the non-challenge for Tammy and Victor already sort of ticks me off, they went and made it far worse by putting a U-turn there, so Tammy and Victor could force their stiffest competition out of the game. And thanks to the cheerleaders being such idiots, it almost didn't even work anyway, but ultimately, having to do the second challenge did cost them the game (and a possible bathroom break).

The eating challenges are always a bit tricky to call, though, because people react very differently to gag reflexes. Jen was clearly having a tough time, but having to wash each piece down with water like it was medicine she must have realized that she was going to need to go to the bathroom a lot afterwards. She said that she drank 4 bottles of water. That's a pretty decent amount of water alone to be drinking. If I drank that much liquid with a meal, I'm not sure I would even be able to stuff it all down. Of course, some of it did come back up...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The bathroom break, yeah, but if you watched how quickly she was running before taking the bathroom break, I'm not sure that it didn't actually get them to the mat sooner. Honestly, I got the impression that the bigger issue was trying to find the mat and taking a break might have gotten their heads in the game sooner.
Yeah, but it doesn't matter whether they had trouble finding the mat, if it came down to "seconds" (Phil's words), then taking a bathroom break eats up those seconds. No bathroom break = no using up precious seconds. And while I don't remember how much Cara had to eat after Jen finished, clearly since she was already there and chowing away, Jen and Keisha knew that they were going to be close behind them.

I agree that the cheerleaders should have been eliminated and would have if it wasn't for the U-Turn, most likely

Everyone should have realized the same thing and looked close instead of walking for hours and hours. They seriously deserve to have been eliminated for that alone, particularly since they were told several times that it was a good idea and the teams that did so didn't show up again, did they?
yeah, but that applied to everyone. They showed the cheerleader's refusing to go down further and look even though everyone they asked told them it was down there, but Keisha and Jen were doing the same thing. They just decided to start at the opera house earlier.

I agree about the non-challenge factor for Victor and Tammy, but since I don't think these challenges are based on who finishes each leg but set up ahead of time, there's no way the producers knew that Tammy and Victor would get this far. It's with every challenge - Jen and Keisha could have been eliminated earlier and one of the other teams could have been ace swimmers. It just so happened that it fit Victor and Tammy right when they needed it (and even then, they did have to go back at least once - like they said, it's all in the pronunication). And they spoke the different dialect of Chinese - whatever is NOT Mandarin...

E

EricBess

Spiderman;283726 said:
Yeah, but it doesn't matter whether they had trouble finding the mat, if it came down to "seconds" (Phil's words), then taking a bathroom break eats up those seconds.
Right, but so does waddling instead of running because you need to go to the bathroom. Not taking the break might have actually added time if they were moving more slowly. Phil did say it was that close, but there are still too many variables to know for sure if not taking that break would have made the difference. It certainly might have.

I don't remember how much Cara had to eat after Jen finished
Yeah, that was hard to tell. They showed her with a plate of food still, but the starfish was pretty big and even when they showed her finish, there was a huge starfish husk remaining, so it's very difficult to know just how much time the had to make up.

They showed the cheerleader's refusing to go down further and look even though everyone they asked told them it was down there, but Keisha and Jen were doing the same thing. They just decided to start at the opera house earlier.
Yes, but if you assume that they took about the same amount of time to get back to the opera house, Kesha and Jen finished the entire second challenge in less time than the cheerleaders continued to waste either walking further or simply not deciding to "reset". And ultimately, Luke was correct that they wouldn't put it too far away from the opera house, which is why he and his mom ended up an easy second place, even though they also had trouble finding it.

It did seem to me that a lot of people were trying to point them in the wrong direction, though, so its easy to see why they were all so frustrated with it.