Amazing Race #10

E

EricBess

I was pretty dark when they finally pulled into the camel feed lot...I got the impression they didn't end up having to do the filling since it was so late...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, they didn't... but it appears that it gets dark really early there. From the beginning of the episode, the last team (David and Mary) left at about 6 AM, meaning they would have arrived at the pit stop at 6 PM. And it was dark then too. So I think it gets dark pretty quick from 4:30-5:30.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, David and Mary get lucky again. Except this time they can't use the Fast Forward...

The Cho brothers have GOT to get out of the alliance. The other "4 pack" aren't really helping; yeah, they say if they (the Cho's) help now, it'll be returned to them, but that doesn't happen if one of them gets eliminated, like David and Mary almost were. I see the Cho brothers waiting around (!) for the others when they don't reciprocate (at least, the 'Bama ladies, who we already know are looking out for themselves) and go "ARRRG!"

The so-called "accident" that was in the previews by Dustin and Candace turned out not to be such a big deal :rolleyes:

And I wonder how long it would have taken someone to find a salt shaker, although doing Sail was definitely the best to do.

E

EricBess

Yes, it is getting very frustrating to see them wasting their time like that. Also, you can't really tell how long they were searching the Salt, but giving up at the point they did was just asking for problems....Of course, I'm not a big fan of "needle in a haystack" challenges in the first place.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I know, I thought of you when it first came up :)

I guess David and Mary didn't stay very long either since Dustin and Candace also passed them on their way in on the boat and they caught up to the other "4 pack" alliance once on the island. So I guess they decided (or Mary did) pretty quick.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Saw last night...

It was pretty foregone that David and Mary would be eliminated. However, we didn't catch anything about having to do the FF only once and they were discussing it, so I think they could have done it again. They probably would have, if they got to the Black Angel first like when they all left the airport.

A bit surprising that Dustin and Candace beat the FF teams; they must have taken *really* long and D&C were really quick with their challenges. The Cho brothers were right behind D&C so they must have all got their within 10 minutes of each other.

I think the 'Bama team is the weakest and going to go next, but you never know...

E

EricBess

Yeah, I noticed that with the FF also. Maybe it was different this time because of the intersection.

Of course, this time it might not have mattered. The FF didn't seem to save significant time. Those doing it did comment a few times about "take your time, we have plenty of time", but even at that, I think this is the first time I've seen where the people completing the FF weren't way ahead of the other teams in the end.

There didn't seem to be a lot to the leg. The intersection was right at the beginning and was also the fast forward and the detour. The clue led immediately to the road block, which fed directly to the checkpoint. It seems like there are usually a lot more stops along the way.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'm not sure David and Mary and the 'Bama girls could have done the FF, to be honest. And if they tried, I think they would have taken even longer than the teams that DID do it.

I noticed that about the number of stops too. It did seem to be the fewest. But I guess that's a "hazard" of taking the FF - you think you'll be ahead but you never know how many stops the other teams might have to do.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Saw last night... it looks like 'Bama and Cho's alliance, though still there, isn't quite as strong, as except for the Detour, which they arrived together, they weren't waiting on each other like previous times (like at the airport). The Cho's are still helping out 'Bama more than the other way aorund though...

Rob and Kim look like they're going to self-destruct, the way they just rush along and miss the Race signs, like at the mine and the stadium...

Funny how they all thought the stadium was the pit stop but it's not :)

E

EricBess

I thought they actually said on the clue that it was a pitstop, but I don't have it recorded, so I can't go back and check. When they got there and there was a box, I thought that was kind of odd if it were a pitstop.

I do remember that Phil said, "the teams have one more task..."

I agree about Rob and Kim. I don't know if they are just getting tired or what it is. To their credit, they aren't the only ones. Both of the signs they missed had already been missed by another team as well, they were just the team that missed both of them. Given that either one was when two other teams were neck-in-neck with them, they might just cave under pressure.

The more things happen, the more I like the Cho's, but at the same time, worry about their chances. Waiting at the taxi stop was the correct thing to do, but with two other teams cutting, they can only hope for karma to keep them up.

Based on the previews for next week, it looks like the alliance might be officially over anyway. The Moms haven't really been adding anything to the alliance anyway, so maybe cutting the strings will be what the Chos need to get in gear.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
We had it recorded but deleted it after watching, but I don't think it would have said "pit stop" and not be a pit stop. But I think the wording would have been ambiguous enough to make them think it was a pit stop :)

Yeah, I know the model guys missed it too. And I think the Queens would have missed it, had they not seen them rappelling down the wall.

That's what I'm hoping will happen next week with the alliance. The Cho's have just gotta push on without 'Bama.

E

EricBess

Yeah, I thought I remember something about "last team to arive may be eliminated", but I wouldn't swear to it. Still, they always word the pitstop like that and it would still be accurate since they never know what might happen.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Argg! Well, the Cho brothers were eliminated and though I'm sorry to see them go, I have to say they don't really "deserve" to win. They may have been playing the Race by their own code and what was right for them, but their alliance with 'Bama was really one-sided with them getting nothing back and it's hard to see how they couldn't see that. When I kept hearing 'Bama's comments in the car, I was wondering what the Cho brothers were thinking when they watched this episode, if they weren't aware of it before.

I think 'Bama made the right decision in splitting off and going their own way and the Cho's paid for not following in turn from their "pride".

Of the remaining teams, all aren't that great as favorites to win. Maybe the male models are the least of the evils, but we're just watching it to see the end, not really rooting for anyone anymore.

The tank challenge was pretty cool :)

E

EricBess

Yeah, I agree on pretty much all points. However, I've got to say that the Cho's never really got anything from 'Bama.

I'm not sure what the deal was with the Cho's, but they were so paranoid about going the wrong direction that they never really seemed to get anywhere. That might be why they waited for what appeared to be over 10 minutes for 'Bama to finish the tank challenge. If they were that unsure of their own ability to navigate, having another team along may have been a psychological safty net, but they certainly didn't get any advantage out of it.

And the women, sitting in the car complaining, but still letting the Cho's do all the work...Yeah, they made the right decision to go it alone, but they should have either stopped complaining or made the break sooner. Though it did appear that one of them wanted to make the split sooner and the other wanted to stick with the Cho's, so maybe it wasn't as bad as it seemed.

As for who to win...The couple (Rob and Jennifer?) seem okay still too. I would be okay with either them or the models winning, but I agree with you that the 4 teams left don't leave much to cheer for. The "barbies" and 'Bama have always been very annoying (for different reasons), so I would prefer one of the other two teams.

To be fair, now that the Cho's are gone, I would say 'Bama is definitely next, but it is possible that the Cho's were holding them back as much as the other way around. Now that they have to depend on themselves, maybe they'll do okay???

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, I agree that the Cho's never seemed to get anything from 'Bama. That's what I was trying to say when it was one-sided.

I don't think they were paranoid, just waiting from them as what had become their standard MO in challenges. I didn't know it was 10 minutes though. I'm not sure why getting a taxi or someone to lead them like the other teams did never occurred to them - maybe they thought they had to do it on their own?

And yeah, 'Bama should have gotten out and helped with directions or left, but stop complaining and do something!

Rob & Jen haven't really hit it off with us, because of Rob's temper and flare-ups when things don't go their (his) way and gloating when it does.

And yeah, I think 'Bama would be the next to go, meaning it'd be the models, barbies, and Rob & Jen for the finals.

E

EricBess

They didn't actually say how long it was the Cho's were waiting, but they showed her slow down a lot at the lake and he was pulling in at the final area with her some distance behind still. The 10 minutes is about what I would guess based on what we did see, but it might have been more or less.

Rob's temper isn't as bad as a few we've seen in the past, but I understand what you're saying.

E

EricBess

You know...When they start saying things like "We're not evil blondes" and "Some people will see this as bad karma"...then you have the think that they realize that the way the play the game is beyond competative and crossing into the line of arrogant, unsporting, and unethical.

Personally, I was thinking "karma" all the way on this one and I was a bit upset that it wasn't an elimination round. They wouldn't have been able to blame anyone, either, given the fact that the just weren't paying attention.

So...I do have a real complaint about this episode. They shouldn't have a yield at a catch-up point like that. I have my problems with 'Bama and the way they treated the "alliance", but they were way ahead of everyone else and earned the right to use the yield. So instead, they have to wait until morning when everyone catches up and a footrace (which let's face it, they aren't ever going to win) determines who gets to use the yield. And realistically, what's the point of the Beauty Queens yielding them. They've never given them any consideration, so it seems to me they used the yield just because they could.

And what's with all the car problems for Rob and Kimberly? They have had some serious bad luck that wasn't in their control. The models were sure and steady this leg. Both 'Bama and Rob and Kimberly had to overcome and catch up. The Queens messed up after playing dirty and it's really a shame they get a second chance...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I (we) totally agree with you on all points :) 'Bama should have been able to use the Yield instead of waiting, it's odd that Rob and Kim seem to have tons of car troubles, and the Blondes definitely should have been out this round. With them "marked for elimination" next round, hopefully they will be.

I thought it was amusing that there was only one flight to the Morocco town, so the blondes took a needless risk to get some tight connection on the way. Like Rob said, if they missed the overall flight, they deserved it.

E

EricBess

Yeah, I was hoping they would miss the flight, too, since they took the risk and missed the connection. If I remember correctly, they had all but booked the flight with the tight connection before they bothered to even ask what the flights were from the capitol to where they needed to end up.

Once again, the smugness that they showed when everyone got to the plane and there were there was just over the top irritating.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, they're GONE! And surprisingly, they actually came in last this time... I thought the tomato challenge would have taken longer than the giant walking puppets, but I guess not...

Funny how everyone wants 'Bama in for the exact same reason: they'd be easy to wina against in a footrace :)