Aku Djinn

K

krichaiushii

Aku Djinn
3BB
Creature -- Djinn
Trample
During your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature your opponents control.
5/6

Aside from playing with Spike Cannibal, what else can I do with this card? I ask because I've four of each of the above, and want to capitalize on the +1/+1 counters the Aku Djinn generates, without using a Meekstone, which shuts me down, too.

Thanks in advance.

G

Gizmo

...whatever you do avoid Kobolds and Thallids like the plague!

C

Cateran Emperor

You can confuse the heck out of your opponent by simultaneously playing Harbinger of Night! Ooh, counters go flying around the board...

K

krichaiushii

Then I'd have to play with a Giant Fan to cause even more confusion! ;)

Seriously, though... Maybe give the Djinn to my opponent through a Donate or Gauntlets of Chaos? Then I need to play Protection from Black creatures -- but if a creature has Protection from Black, can it even receive the counters?

Or I play with Plague Wind to just kill the creatures (after I play a Spike Cannibal, though). To get the necessary mana, it looks like green is the other color to play. If my plan is to use the Gauntlets to give away the Djinns, then I need to have other things to give away -- like Demonic Hordes! Conversely, if I play creatures with natural evasion (swamp and forest walk, in this case), my opponent will need something -- what about Blanket of Night and Spreading Algae as a subtheme? Smack him with swamp walkers while slowly destroying his land?

I think this is getting too complicated.

Anyone else?

Z

Zadok001

I always thought Uphill Battle and Meekstone would be funny with one or two Djinns...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Just find a way to limit your opponent from getting creatures? (yeah, I know, maybe it's harder than it sounds :) ). Kill them, take them, make it harder for your opponent to cast them through LD or something...

M

Mikeymike

Man that's tough. My first thought is similar to Spiderman's.
Maybe run Pestilenci and/or Mass Red Burn and/or Washouts to remove their creatures.

But I'm not crazy about the idea of focusing being able to remove their creatures just to let an undercosted 5/6 Trampler through.

Your idea is much better with the Spikes, but how to capitalize? Try Black/White using attacking prevention and knarly big creature destruction. This way you can let the counters add up w/o having to worry about critters To drop a huge Cannibal.

Blinding Angels
Festival
Orim's Chant
Retribution of the Meek (Just in case you can't stop them)
Crackdown
No Mercy
Pariah (to a Cho-manno or Mother of Runes or something)
Spike Cannibal
Simulacrum

Hey, that could actaully be a deck.

E

Ephrils

Retibution of the Meek is a great idea. It might kill your Djinn though, unles you put a Sorceress Queen in ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
MikeyMike:
But I'm not crazy about the idea of focusing being able to remove their creatures just to let an undercosted 5/6 Trampler through.
Isn't this a good policy in ANY deck, to remove your opponent's troublesome creatures? ;)

Anyway, what about Dueling Grounds and Lure? That way, unless they have a fattie right off, you'll be sure to be killing a creature a turn (then StP to get rid of the ones that DO become big). Maybe Cataclsym (is that the one that let's you keep creatures with enchantments?) to help "reset" the board if the opponents creatures get to be too much.

M

Mikeymike

That didn't come out right.

The point I was trying to make was (well at least what was running through my head):

If you want to build a deck around a card (Aku Djinn in this case) with a serious drawback, you have 2 basic options; Neutralize the drawback or try to Gain from the drawback.

Neutralizing the drawback (killing all your opponents creatures) is fine, but where's the 'theme' in that. Anyone can build a deck to wipe you opponents creatures off the board, if you're going to do that you might as well make Fog of Gnats your kill card. You want people to FEAR the Djinn, and to do that you've got to figure out a way to take full advantage of his liability. They need to know that those tokens are going to be used against them shortly.

...And yes creature destruction is a good policy in any deck :D.

BTW - Both Sorceress Queen and Cataclysm are great ideas.

You could maybe add red for Delirium and/or Backlash too.

SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG
Protection from black creatures WILL receive the counters from Aku Djinn. The effect isn't targeting and isn't dealing any damage so the Prot Black won't 'protect' against the Djinn's ability. Its similar to when a Prot black creature dies b/c it dealt damage to you when you had a No Mercy out.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I see where you're coming from now and agree it will be more neat if you use the counters against your opponent. Hey, if you want to get really complicated, one strategy you could use that I mentioned above is stealing your opponent's creatures after they've gained the counters. :)

And yes, pro-black creatures will get the counters.

R

rkoelsch

4-Aku Djinn
4-Spike Cannibals
4-Dark Rituals
4-Vampiric Tutors

2-Kismet
2-Story Circles
2-Serra's Blessing
4-Reprisals
4-Master Decoy

4-Icy manipulators
2-Jandors Saddlebags

4-Scabland
10 Swamp
10 Plains

R

rkoelsch

You could do a whole stealing thing with rays of command and the ray of command spellcaster.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I was also thinking of getting complicated and turning the opponent's creatures into artifacts and stealing them with Aladdin. But that's probably too much... ;)

What about Old Man of the Sea?

R

rkoelsch

only gets small creatures. But what about the Ice age legend who was w/u/b. i can't remember her name.

M

Mikeymike

Rubina Soulsinger? The Preacher (which is hard to find and like $12) and Seasinger steal pretty well too.

E

Ephrils

Originally posted by Mikeymike

if you're going to do that you might as well make Fog of Gnats your kill card.
Don't tempt me, I may just try to do that :p Fog of Gnats doesn't even look threatening, I dont think anyone will really be looking at that card with removal spells in mind :D

The Aku Djinn is usually always feared if it comes out early. It's a great, cheap way(as black goes) to get an early victory. I'd play for it, but not rely on it, since after a certin amount of turns, he's just not scary anymore.

Is this supposed to be Type 1 or Type 2? I didn't catch that in the post.

I think, to keep some control of the Djinns counters, cheap spells that hit a lot of creatures would be necessary. Particularly cards like Pyroclasm, Simoon, Earthquake(already mentioned), Savage Twister, and their reprints. Expect the Djinn to die later on, so some animation spells would be nice, and put other good creatures in teh deck that like to be reanimated. Nectrataal, Bone Shredder, and Avalanche Riders tend to like coming back from the dead. If we're going type 1, Crater Hellion is good choice too, it clears the board and doesn't kill the Djinn. Animation spells will make it more annoying after someone manages to kill it and then loses all their creatures again.

From my suggestions above, the deck will function like a lesser mass destruction deck. When things get too big, the board resets enough to not kill the key card, the Aku Djinn. For smaller threats the Netrataals and Bone Shredders have it covered, especially if they get animated. I'd throw in Fog of Gnats and an Unholy Strength just to purposing kill with it :p Since it can regenerate it'll survive all the normal resets anyway. :)

K

krichaiushii

Wow! I go away for a bit and look what happens! Debate!

First off, thanks for all the comments and ideas. Your "remove the opposing creatures" commentary looks simpler than my "give the opponent the Djinn and I benefit" plan.

Ephrils -- Type 1 multiplayer, primarily chaos games. I like the Crater Hellion idea.

Mikeymike -- Reigns of Power is a great idea, especially when coupled with its old pal, Altar of Dementia. As is Retribution of the Meek, now I've a deck for it...

rkoelsch -- tapping other creatures makes my head hurt, like too much countermagic. It is a method though, so maybe just a little bit...

Zadok001 -- the Meekstone would hurt me too much (both the Djinns and the Spike Cannibals). But that IS a funny idea.

To sum up, cards and ideas have been kicked around for all colors but green, with red being the least mentioned. Black is a given, with blue and white in support. So let's see...

Black 19
4x Aku Djinn
3x Thrashing Wumpus
3x Spike Cannibal
3x Dark Ritual
2x Avatar of Woe
2x Massacre
2x Broken Reflection

Blue 10
4x Reins of Power
2x Ray of Command
2x Sirens' Call
2x undetermined search card

White 9
3x Holy Day
2x Retribution of the Meek
2x Mirror Strike
2x Dismantling Blow

Artifacts 5
4x Altar of Dementia
1x Sol Ring

Land 22
4x Planeshift Tri-Land
Swamp
Island
Plains

This makes 65 cards, basically recycling hoary tricks (Holy Day/Sirens' Call and Reins of Power/Altar of Dementia) which may be too much. As you can see, there are currently no counterspells (not that I would play many -- though Undermine is a funny card), and search is quite limited. Fact or Fiction might not be great here -- but the Owls? That way I have cheap blockers AND some library manipulation. The corresponding Charm might work, as well.

I really like the idea of the Mirror Strike, though the Holy Day/Sirens' Call trick might have to go. Oh, and I guess I should get the corresponding dragon in there... just because. And if this is the unsummoning dragon, then maybe Warped Devotion and Wash Outs?

Keep the ideas coming! Thanks!