After Pre-Release

D

Daggertooth

Probably not, but Krosian Beast is hard to pass up. And I did have 4 ways of producing green, so by the time I got threashold I would at least have one forest. And it did rear it's ugly head a few times.

Daggertooth

E

EricBess

How did I miss this thread? Sorry I haven't posted sooner to this thread, because I have some useful information for everyone.

I head judged in Portland. Being head judge, I pretty much run the show and I'm pretty much a partner with the organizer, so I have a lot of insight into how the event is run.

WotC is pretty much a stickler for certain things. They pretty much lay down the law when it comes to how much you can do.

For example, organizers have to account very carefully for the pre-release cards. Not even judges are supposed to get them.

Prize support is left in part up to the organizer, but not as much as you might think.

Basically, for every player in the event, there are 3 packs of support. Of that, 1 pack goes for judge support and 2 packs for prize support. Organizers have a bit of control here, but no more than 1 pack for judge support. And if you do the math, you will find that that 1 pack per player doesn't go very far if you have an adequate staff to run the event. As such, an organizer really needs to keep to the 2 packs per player for prize support.

We ran 2 events on Saturday. One had 195 players and we gave a box to the winner (only 1 player undefeated after 7 rounds) and we offered 1/2 box to 6-1, but were able to bump it to 20 packs. We offered prizes all the way down to 4-1-2 (5 packs). All things considered, it was pretty good support.

We ran a second event with 34 players. This was pretty much equivalent to what you did Zadok. We gave 18 packs for 4-0 and 9 packs for 3-1. This turned out to be too many packs, so we would have needed to cut into judge support to run other events that way. I'm not sure how Seattle does it unless they are allowed a bit more leeway since Chris and Paul are running the show. I may ask them next time I'm up there. Regardless, I think this is very good prize support.

In addition to the main event, an organizer can run as many side events as they want. All product used at the side events must be accounted for and the organizer has to purchase this product. The results sheets have to be turned in and I'm pretty sure that the prize structure has to be specified.

Typically, a side event runs 24 pack for the tourney with 12 packs prize support (6,4,1,1). That comes out to a full box, which makes it easier for the organizer.

I think an organizer has a bit of leeway in "purchasing" packs to supplement the prize and judge support for the main event. However, I know they have to account for everything, so I don't think that they can be excessive. Plus, this comes off their bottom line.

Speaking of the bottom line, I know a lot of people think the organizers make a killing. The prerelease typically ends up as a decent money making venture. However, you need to take into consideration that a decent amount of money is spent on a room, equipment, supplies, shirts, etc. Still, the most important thing to keep in mind is that in order for an organizer to run the prerelease, they pretty much have to be willing to run qualifiers and other events. At most of these events, the organizer barely breaks even, if that.

When you consider the amount of time and effort that is put into organizing and running the events, you realize that if it wasn't for the love of the game, the organizer wouldn't do it. Think of this the next event you go to and thank your organizer for putting these things on. Don't be afraid to give constructive critisism, but make sure they know their efforts are appreciated.

Anyway, if anyone here was at the Portland prerelease, let me know.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the cards I got at the Prerelease. Bold is my deck (mainly all the green and white except two green cards):

Artifact

Moss Egg

Black

Afflict
Buried Alive
Cabal Ritual
Cabal Surgeon
Cabal Torturer
Chainer's Edict
Dirty Wererat
Dusk Imp
2 Faceless Butcher
Fledgling Imp
Ghastly Demise
Gloomdrifter
Gravegouger
Overeager Apprentice
Putrid Imp
Rancid Earth
Restless Dreams
Rotting Giant
Tainted Pact
Waste Away

Blue

Aboshan's Desire
2 Aquamoeba
Aura Graft
Aven Smokeweaver
Breakthrough
Careful Study
Cephalid Illusionist (Foil!)
Cephalid Snitch
Circular Logic
Ghostly Wings
Hydromorph Guardian
2 Obsessive Search
Plagiarize
Repel
Rites of Refusal
Scrivener
Thought Nibbler

Green

Acorn Harvest
Diligent Farmhand
Druid Lyrist
Far Wandering
Krosan Archer
Krosan Restorer

2 Nantuko Calmer (one of these in the deck)
Nantuko Disciple
Nimble Mongoose
Primal Frenzy

Refresh
Springing Tiger

Land

Bog Wreckage
Nomad Stadium
Ravaged Highlands
Tainted Isle

Red

Accelerate
Barbarian Lunatic
Blazing Salvo
Ember Beast
Enslaved Dwarf
Fiery Temper
Flash of Defiance
Kamahl's Sledge
Liquid Fire
Pardic Lancer
Pardic Miner
Pardic Swordsmith
Petravark
Rites of Initiation
Steam Vines
2 Temporary Insanity
Tremble

White

Aven Archer
Aven Trooper
Confessor
Dedicated Martyr
Graceful Antelope
Major Teroh
Mystic Familiar
Pay No Heed
Second Thoughts
Shelter
Spirit Flare
Stern Judge
Vengeful Dreams

9 Plains
8 Forests

As I said before, I chose white for flying and a couple of "tricks" and green for enchantment removal (turns out I didn't encounter any in the three games I played) and to smooth out the mana a bit.

I was thinking black and thinking red, but I was pretty sure I wanted the white for the flying and those (especially red) were rough on the mana. I guess I could have used Cabal Ritual and the other guy for mana but I just wasn't sure...

P

PTQ

Looking at your list, if you had played B/W, with all those nice creatures and removal and tricks, you would have cleaned house. I don't understand why you did not play black! Look at that list!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, looking back, perhaps I should have played black. I just looked at the cards and figured there was too much 3cc and higher stuff to make it work. Plus, we only had 35 minutes to register AND make decks, which isn't a whole lot of time.

I just didn't think there was enough removal in black, seeing how "everyone was going to play black" :)

Z

Zadok001

"Will you be at the next Seattle prerelease in June, Zadok? I looked for a judge who looked remotely similar to your Starcity photo Saturday morning/afternoon, but didn't run into someone who looked like you."

First, I will indeed likely be here in June. I'll do my best, at any rate. :)

Second, your first mistake was using my StarCity photo. I look like a demon worthy of Yawgmoth himself in that photo. IRL, I'm 6'0'', fairly thin, mid length brown hair (shorter than in the photo), and I wear a dagger pendant around my neck. In the case of Saturday, I head judged the second and sixth flights of Prerelease, and helped out with the land stations occassionally. :) I was wearing the standard little "Staff" tee-shirt rather than a B+W judges shirt (Eric, where on earth do you GET those?), and I was pretty much on the floor from the first game to the last. Were you in either of those flights, and if so, did you ever ask for a judge? :)

G

Gerode

I was in Flight 3. I didn't call a judge for anything, but the deck I passed (to one of the friends I went with, unfortunately, because I didn't pass many good cards) was misregistered because I marked the wrong Tainted land. :eek: If you were involved in that at all, I was two seats to the right. You should read the "General Information" thread a few weeks before the prereleases, because TJ and I have tried to meet up a few times.

A

Apollo

Spidey: who goes to a prerelease and only stays till 11:30?:p At the ones I've been to, we've been lucky to open our packs by 11:30.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I was already planning to go see Beauty & the Beast at the Baltimore IMAX with my wife and these 2 kids she used to watch (and who I know well also) at 2, so I had to be back by 12. This was kind of a "treat". I wasn't even expecting to do all that well, but I also though that since it was supposed to start at 8, we'd get more rounds in. Now I know there's at least an hour of player registration and another hour of deck registration :) So next time I'll try not to plan to do other things for that day.