After Pre-Release

Z

Zero T Katama

Back from the tournament... Torment's actually pretty cool. Hate deck swap tho. Drew a Finkel, Cabal Patriarch, and Overrun, and the guy to the opposite and left of me gets it. :(

Anyway, just wondering. Did anyone else other than those who went to Atlanta PR have the judges rule that they had to state that they were "Invoking Madness" when they used madness?

A

Almindhra

Yup, thats what they stated clearly before opening our cards...They also used some pretty strict rules, I don't know if there was a global Wizard's reason for that or not...But if people registered the cards wrong, they got a game loss...And my poor bf's cousin got that, but luckily they took that back because we were only using Level 1 rules...

So I went 4-1!...My second time doing that...I played black/red, and had some really good commons, but I did play with 2 rares...Some cards I know I had off the top of my head are:

2x Faceless Butcher
Gravegouger
Organ Grinder
Slithery Stalker
Carrion Wurm
Crypt Creeper
Filthy Cur
Cursed Monstrosity
Chainflinger
Pardic Arsonist

Restless Dreams
Waste Away
Mutilate
2x Kamahl's Sledge (I don't know if this was the wisest of choices at first, but it really did come in handy when I need to kill a fatty, or finish someone off)

3 matches I beat my opponent 2-0...Definately some slaughtering going on there...I won my 9 packs and got the card I wanted most, Skullscorch!...But it was foiled too!...I also got Nostalgic Dreams, another Mutilate, Sengir Vampire, and Parallel Evolution...So I think I made out really good...:D...

M

Mr_Pestilence

Atlanta CPA'ers did very well at the pre-release. TheOrgg is putting together a detailed report, but here's the gist:

The main tournament had 189 players, and I finished 16th, Ransac finished 15th, TheOrgg himself was 14th - not too shabby for a bunch of "casual" players! We each got 12 packs.

Afterward, TheOrgg and I got in a draft. he lost out, but I drew the finals and got 6 more packs.

Notable cards I got on the day were 3 Laquatus' Champion (plus the pre-release card), and 3 Ghurzigost (this card is just amazing!).

C

Chaos Turtle

Nice job guys!

I scrubbed out of the main event 2-1. I definietly should have played my black stuff over my red stuff. Oh, well.

Had fun, though. See y'all at regionals (I hope).

H

Hetemti

I suck, and bombed out.

As for Torment: Very disappointing. Sure, I view from a T1 perspective, but still. I played merely two events. Then I bought neat stuff, like Dual Lands and Sinkholes and stuff.

Z

Zadok001

Judged two flights worth of main event, and six side drafts over the course of two days, plus the usual odd-jobs. Still alive, a stunning achievement in my mind. :) I wanna know how those people last through three day tourneys!

I love Torment. It's got some GREAT cards in it, and man oh man, I haven't seen an absolutely terrible rare yet! :) An admirable job by WotC.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I never met up with Azreal so sorry about that... but there were a "lot" of people in our room, so it was hard to go around check for tall guys wearing a black hooded sweatshort ;)

But anyways, got there at 8, got put into a "second" line because the first line was so long already and so my buddy and I were hoping to still play in the morning events because we both had to leave early (me at 11:30). So we were 90% assured of being in one so we stayed. Got put into the "yellow" pod of 32 side(?) tournament, the second to fill up (first was pink or something). Got our Russian (or so someone said) foil (I guess the one that was put up in another thread here), found I still had a DCI number (so I'll have to check that later), went to the room, and sat around for around another hour until they started handing out the packs. So I joked around with some other guys and played a couple of games of Magic with my Manabarbs deck.

(Sidenote observation: although there were a lot of people there, the ones around me or my area seemed to be for the most part in their 20s or so; the guys I shot the breeze with apparently play pretty "casual" since one guy just started Winter 2000 and don't do this "fulltime". Pretty cool guys).

Anyway, so we got our decks and the majority voted no deck swaps, so we just registered our cards and made decks. I forgot to bring mine to work so I can write them down tomorrow if anyone's really interested, but I ended up W/G, white for flyers and Green for enchantment removal and creatures to smooth out my mana. I had stuff like Diligent Farmhand, Druid Lyricist, Graceful Antelope, Major Teroh, Stern Judge, Confessor, Acorn Harvest (these cards I played a lot so they stick in my mind).

I ended up going 2-0 in the first round and won my first game in the second before I had to leave at 11:30. Bummer. My second opponent was appreciative though :). My first round guy played a "monster" (definitely more than 40 cards) three color deck: B/U/W. First round was pretty cool for me: I got out my Graceful Antelope and he had a plains, so I started plainswalking and turning everything into plains. Though it was only 1 point a damage, I eventually neutralized his land and won. The second was a bit closer: he got out some Wurm that's 6/5 and I could remove 3 cards in my graveyard to prevent it's combat damage. After two hits (which I took 'cause I didn't have three cards in my graveyard), I got out Major Teroh which took care of it and some other black creature. He had emptied his hand so was reduced to topdecking whatever he needed so I finished him off, with my at 5 or 6 life. Stern Judge was good here as he had 3 swamps and couldn't get rid of it.

Second round was also interesting, I put out creatures and despite being mana slowed in the beginning, he was getting rid of them. Finally he got out his Wurm dude and I got out Major Teroh. I also cast my only flashback card, Acorn Harvest, to get out some squirrels :) So I eventually took him out because he ran out of creatures and blockers. Stern Judge was also key here for the same reason above.

So I had a pretty good time, think I'll try to go to the next few (hear that Zadok?). And this time block out the day so I can stay as long as it takes :)

R

Rando

In my flight there were 56, and I made 8th, playing Black/Green and going 4-2.

The prize support was AWFUL.

I won 3 (THREE!) packs! 1st only got 24!

We were told that Wizards reduced the Prize Support, so how is it that you 14th+ players won so much?

(As for the set, love it. Some great cards. Very nice for both Limited and Constructed)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I thought prize support (as in the decision to how many packs the winners should get) is up to the organizer.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

Originally posted by Spiderman
Well, I never met up with Azreal so sorry about that... but there were a "lot" of people in our room, so it was hard to go around check for tall guys wearing a black hooded sweatshort ;)
Heh, I think I might have seen you, did you get up from the 32 side tournament and tell a judge that you were dropping cause you had to leave? Well anyway, I'll most likely be attending the next few Pre-releases as well, and when i'm not playing i'm hanging out in the corner by the Games, Comics, and stuff booth.

I don't remember much, but i'm pretty sure I got stomped:D pulled a mutilate, a gurzigost(or however its spelled) and a mirari, so not too bad. I played a black green deck.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that would have been me. I told the judge who wasn't wearing the "ref" shirt.

Ya should've spoke up! Where were you playing?

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

I was in the large tournament sitting in the blue section I believe, I guess i didn't say anything cause, well if i went up and said..HEY! SPIDERMAN! its Azreal, y'know, and it wasn't you....they'd probably have me commited. no actually i was having a discussion with my friend and didn't really notice till you brought up the part about leaving early, then i realized.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
To answer your question, rando, our flight contained 189 people to your flight's 56. That's why we got larger prizes.

My deck was just not funny. I pulled a Psychatog, 2 Organ Grinders, a Cephalid Looter, a Cepahlid Broker, a Faceless Butcher, and(my new favorite blue flyer) a Possessed Aven. I only lost one round, and that was due to me being Island screwed the second game and Swamp screwed the third game.

5-1 is definitely my best finished at any pre-release.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It probably would have been the same if I went up to you and said "You Azreal"? But hey, a red Spidey sweatshirt is probably more unique than a black one :)

Oh well, maybe next time. This time we'll have to arrange a specific place (like up front at the dealers at x time) to be certain :)

Z

Zadok001

Prize support and even format of tournament is up to the organizers, I believe. In Seattle, winning 3 rounds (4 rounds per "flight" of prerelease) won you 9 packs, winning 4 rounds got you 18. So fairly good prize support. Plus 1 pack to 3-4 place, 4 to second, and 6 to first for side drafts.

Anyone tried drafting three Torments? Some wierd stuff happens. :)

T

theorgg

Either that, or I'll have those Fartking buttons done...

*thorgg realizes he probably could've bought the button stuff with what he spent at the PR, within twenty dollars...

:(

I am The Orgg, and I'm a Magic addict. I didn't come here to quit: anyone for a game?

G

Gerode

Will you be at the next Seattle prerelease in June, Zadok? I looked for a judge who looked remotely similar to your Starcity photo Saturday morning/afternoon, but didn't run into someone who looked like you.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
For the side 32 "man" tourney events, I believe the winner got 12 packs? and it went down to if you went at least 3-X, where you probably won a pack. I have no idea how the main event was prized... Azreal, do you remember?

D

Daggertooth

I had a great time. Granted, I lowered my DCI 52% win percentage to 50% most likely, but it was still fun.

I made a G/B/R/W Deck. four colors? well, I had one green card and one forest, not to mention a nice duel land and 2 common sacraficeable lands. So it wasn't bad. The key cards I had were:

Krosan Beast
Senger Vampire
Some 5/6 pumpable red creature cc 6RR
A 4/4 red creature that got bigger with coin flips cc5RR
faceless Butcher
Possessed Nomad
and 4 burn cards.

I figured I had a great deck. Only 4 white so I had 4 planes.
5 Mountains, 5 Swamps, 2 sacraficeable lands for any color (one red one black), and the Black Green land that only produces that with another swamp.

Well game one was a dissapointment. The guy drops a swampwalk worm on me, gives it +?/+? and pro black. Then proceedes to slaughter me while giving it an aditional +2/+2 with some insect.

Lost this 2-0

Second Round I played some younger kid I talked to. He's kinda new at the game so it wasn't the hardest match. I did have to mulligan though.

Won 2-0

Can't remember much after that....except maby a 8/8 vampiric dragon kicking my trash.

In the end I went 2-3. Mediocre and not my best. My biggest problem really was that I got mana Screwed. Colors wern't a problem, it was the mear presence of land. I once had one swamp and couldn't get another till I was dead about 20 turns later. And I had a total of 4 land out the entire time. It was sickening. Who would a thought an 18 land ratio wouldn't be enough.

I wish I cept my deck together for advice, Perhaps next time.

I did play 2 tourment booster drafts. They were really fun. This time I just didn't play well, designing a deck for one thing and doing something else. I made a nasty B/U deck. 2x Zombie Trailblazers, 2x Aven Colaborator, A bunch of zombies and minnions. Very nice. But I lost first round. Something about 2/1 flying avens that can go back to your hand and 2/1 dosn't tap to attack healers that really suck. I couldn't get around it.

First booster: 1-1
Second: 0-1

Anyway, It was fun.

Daggertooth