A requiem for Blue

R

Rando

Originally posted by Gizmo
it has already become obvious to any Bear of very little brain that Invasion will NOT support a mono-blue deck. ] [/B]
Hmmmm....
Got something against Bears?

D

Darsh

Has everyone here forgot about Lobotomy? and the high cost of both Urza's Rage and Obliterate? Not to mention all of blacks discard?

Killer Joe

Gizmo's little reference to "Winnie the Pooh"? Good job Christopher Robin!
When "Counterspell" is never being reprinted, THEN, and only then will I say that Blue, as we know it, is comming to an end. Obliterate!? Bring it on!

D

Darsh

As soon as I decide to start playing blue they go off and kill it.:(

Yeah, Right;)

Now I just need to get my hands on a couple of Morphlings, 4 propagandas, and various other blue funsies.;)

You better not say that Yellowjacket, you know what happened to Lightning Bolt and now it seems Dark Ritual. Besides, you could come to a place where there will always be counterspells...JOIN THE CASUAL SIDE YELLOWJACKET!

P

Phyrexian Pie-Eater

Wa's wrong wit yew people? Is you stupid? Ohh no, red has 2 cards that can help it against blue. Hurry, lets all run and be pansies about it.

Are you guys telling me that because a color has 2, yes that it only 2!!!, cards that go well against another color that the 2nd color is dead? So you cast your amazing red spell(hey look, its the first time i've seen a red card from a newer set used well!) and now my whole blue deck is shot to hell? He look, I cast brainstorm, draw my misdirection, and look you just lost the life. I THEN PING THE HELL OUT OF YOU(i still love these guys) and watch you die because you thought you had blue beat.

Ha, I laugh at red, Green can suck it, and white is for pansies(and minor add-ons but it is a joke of a color). My colors are, and always will be black and blue. If they can't get a job done, it doesn't need to be finished

[Edited by Phyrexian Pie-Eater on October 4th, 2000 at 10:25 PM]

B

Baskil

"Are you guys telling me that because a color has 2, yes that it only 2!!!, cards that go well against another color that the 2nd color is dead?"

They've always said that about Green and Perish, right? ;)

I

Istanbul

Everybody seems to be jumping on the Misdirection bandwagon.

OBLITERATE CANNOT BE MISDIRECTED. Blue has *no* recourse against Obliterate; none whatsoever. What's white gonna do about it? Black?

Great, I can TRY to get it from my opponent's hand...but what if they draw it? Virtually all discard works at Sorcery speed, meaning they can cast it before I can do anything about it.

I'm not afraid of Urza's Rage.

But Obliterate scares the hell out of me.

S

Sax_the_Walker

Like I said, Blue is and never will be dead, there IS a way (alittle risky) to get past Obliterate once its cast... Heres what I need:

1 Karn
(Atleast)1 Heartstone
1 Cold Storage
LOST of mana
Some way to Phase and artifact/creature in then back out

All i need is that and Obliterate is more devistateing to them then me...

C

Crazy Pierre

Hmm...here are just a few things Blue can do about Scragnoth, etc

Play Karn
Play Ring of Gix
Play Icy
Play a Powder Keg
Play A disk
Splash White for Swords to Plowshares

and Obliterate?
What is white supposed to do?
JUST KILL YOUR FREAKING opponent!
In Extended, white should NEVER even be obliterated! Just play a million 2/2s with Shadow, and a Crusade!
In type II, just play Rebel after Rebel after Rebel....

THe only deck that needs to worry about Urza's Rage and Obliterate is boring mono-blue counter, boo hoo. Even it can play Energy Field to protect against URza's Rage

I think it's only fair blue not be able to counter everything. What does green do against Perish? White against Gloom? Black against Light of Day?

G

Gizmo

You are all missing THE reason why Blue does not run from Obliterate. Actually there are two, here is the first and then I`ll give the REAL one.

1) (the good reason)
It costs 8. That means if they suspect you have it they have little reason to lay lands 5+ and can hold them for after the Obliterate. Likely a blue deck will recover faster after the Obliterate than the preson who casts it.

2) (the real reason)
Chill. It costs 8... no, wait, 10... no, wait, 12. And THEN when you have buried all lands all your red spells STILL cost 2 extra - you`ve just screwed yourself out!
It`s no sort of anti-blue card at all, IMHO.

T

The Magic Jackal

There will not be a mono blue control deck in the upcoming standard format. It's just not going to happen. Reason why? Blue doesn't have a finisher. No morphling, No masticore, No ophidian, Mo magpie, No goodcontrol magic (I'll kill you with your own card), etc. See my point here?

Any mono blue deck will have to be a blue rush deck, in which case urza's rage and obliterate will be a little to slow to make a difference.

C

Crazy Pierre

How many decks run Chill Main?
Obliterate is just good, we have one in Deck2K, just because we need a reset button and at 2 Red, it is just splashable. ANd don't think it won't get out, I have cast it as early as turn 5 or 6 in our deck ,and sometimes I have had to.
Silly blue mages ,go away....