A requiem for Blue

D

Duel

Blue is dead.

Between Urza's Rage and Obliterate and I bet at least one other uncounterable burn that will come out, blue is dead.
Blue never had Mass Destruction, it relied on denying the other guy's. Until blue comes out with something to match the other colors, blue it not even tournament worthy.

Apparently the R&D team got tired of seeing accelerated blue and Rising waters win, but there were better ways to stop it.

My favorite color is dead.

If you'll excuse me, I'll go off to play my merfolk deck one last time now....

C

Cerberus

have you seen Urza's Rage on the sideboard duel
Now blue is realy dead I am also sad to say this but it it true

D

Duel

I know *sob*

"For it's a jolly good color, for it's a jolly good color, for it's a jolly good co-o-lor! Which nobody can deny!"

P

Purple_jester

Hey, blue's one of my favorite colors, too, and you don't see me weeping up a storm. We all knew it was coming you know. Between Draw-Go, Accelerated Blue and Tinker in standard, and Rising Waters and Blue Skies in MBC, we knew that they had to give the other colors a little bit of a boost. Besides, the only thing that seems to be weaker in this set is mono-blue. Gold blue cards seem to be quite powerful, so don't cry so much.

Besides, I want to see what happens when I Misdirect a fully casted Urza's Rage. :D

I

Istanbul

I'm a Type 1 player, and I have to tell you, I'm not *nearly* as afraid of Urza's Rage as I am of Obliterate.

What's my mono-blue deck going to do against Obliterate?

Counter it? No can do.
Misdirect it? To what? It doesn't target.

How am I going to save all my lands (which, as any blue player can tell you, are *crucial* to even stand a chance)? The answer is, I'm *not*. I now have to race mono-red, and that's a losing proposition.

I expect to see Obliterate become one of the chase rares from this set.

N

Namielus

Blue is far from dead duel, it only means that if might need to include some very funny cards to keep playing, by this I mean I'm trowning in Sacrid Ground in most of my decks, that stops obliteration dead. Mono blue might be having big problems but I think that this set is suppose to make everyone grab a buddy color and keep on trucking, and I doubt that blue doesn't get any deck hosers either.

And as purple jester said, misdirecting urza's rage is better than countering it.

M

mogg bomber

I seriously doubt that blue is dead, although I wish it would go away for awhile. Honestly, I know blue is easily the most powerful color, but I really can't stand it(at least control decks, and you really don't see many other types of blue decks). It is so annoying to play against, and it's so boring to play because you can't do much of anything except react to the other player. Some blue is ok, especially when it's used as a secondary color supporting a main color, but mono blue control decks should hopefully be gone for awhile.

G

Gizmo

Jesus, grow up. A new card comes out and suddenly a whole 20% of printed cards are crap? Nah.

1. Misdirect the ****er.
What, burn me for 13? Actually, how about you chew on it for a while. Target me? Target yourself!

2. With the two Gold counterspells it has already become obvious to any Bear of very little brain that Invasion will NOT support a mono-blue deck. They are deliberately forcing blue players to find other colours, so when they Urza`s rage you how about activating your CoP: Red, or how about making them discard it before hand?

3. Try to cast Urza`s Rage or Obliterate through a Waters. Go on, I want to watch this...

[Edited by TomB on September 18th, 2000 at 12:49 AM]

Z

Zadok001

[me] waves his hand in front of everyone's collective faces [/me]

Hello? Hello? Earth to CPA?

_There is no Blue!!!!_

Invasion is gonna change the world order here, no one can question that. So how can we be saying 'Blue is dead,' or
'Blue is back?' That's silly, guys. :) There is no Blue. No longer will matchups be 'Red vs. Blue.' They'll be Control vs. Beatdown vs. Combo vs. Synergy vs. Everything Else. There is no Blue.

No single color is dead. Single color is dead, but no single color. (*Gibber gibber gibber*) Decks can no longer be classified by their colors, but by their plans. You can't classify a deck by color anymore. Mono-Blue is in trouble, yes. But then again, Mono-White looks nicely screwed too. And probably mono-red. And mono-everything. This is the age of the City of Brass. Even if every card in Invasion had 'Cannot be Countered' on it, Blue would not be dead. :) It would simply be Blue of a different nature, or not even Blue at all. Blue is fine. Just like every other color, it's being relegated to a splash.

That's a neat thought: All the colors are splash colors now. :)

I hereby title this coming Fall and Winter 'Undiscovered Paradise.' It's so appropriate, in so many ways...

D

Duel

Hmm.... COP Red and urza's rage? Somebody didn't read the card very well....

A

Apollo

Hello? Blue isn't dead. Let's see, the only blue decks in Masques are Rising Waters and maybe pirates. You will never cast either of these incredibly expensive spells with Waters out, and if the Pirates are doing their jobs, they still won't get cast. These cards don't do a whole lot if they're sitting in your opponent's hand.

D

Duel

rising waters stand a ghost of a chance. Blue skies and pirates can kiss they're assets goodbye, though.

T

Thrash Golem

Yeah.. blue is dead because every signle deck is going to contain 52 mountains, 4 urza's rage and 4 obliterate.

D

Duel

doesn't need them. 2 urza's rages, or 2 obliterates are all that it needs.

N

Neo_Keo

............ Denying Wind is starting to look very favorable to me right now.

T

The Magic Jackal

Blue is dead? Hello, red is dead. It has not weenies. None whatsoever. Ponza is the only thing that will contain red. Even then i wouldn't play urza's rage or oblterate. That's just stupid. Hammer works a lot better than urza's rage, and tecbreak/earthquake is better than obliterate.

BTW, blue is dead, it doesn't have a single good creature.

C

Crazy Pierre

So tragic that it can't simply tap X islands and lamely counter any spell it doesn't like.

It's so funny. A friend of mine said, I lose to Scragnoth with Mono-Blue, what am I supposed to do about Blurred Mongoose?

Oooooh Blurred Mongoose! Maybe you play a BLOCKER!
This same guy is complaining because Urza's Rage and Obliterate can't be countered.

Poor baby...maybe now you need to THINK before making a deck?
Maybe you need to ADAPT and come up with new strategies.
Stop whining, and start splashing.

D

Duel

right. A blocker. To scragnoth?
To mongoose, fine. I wasn't complaining. It's a hilarious rare. Should be uncommon, at best.
It's Obliterate.
Blue has NO MASS DESTRUCTION. It's always relied on stopping other peoples'.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
... and as Gizmo said, maybe mono-decks are taking a breather right now, but perhaps (for now) that's not a bad thing. Maybe people have gotten spoiled :) building mono-decks. Back in the day :), the only monodeck you saw was white (I know THAT seems slightly unfair). The next cycle could bring back mono-dominance, if not viability. So "chin up! Keep strutting... " (Crazy for You song)