A question of Newbies

G

Gizmo

The knife cuts both ways here, and WoTC have little room for maneuver. Cards from the basic set might not be compatible with Portal Rules (none-creature permanents, Instants) and so there are onyl so many basic set cards that can be included in Portal. The other cut is from portal, that so many cards ARE sorcery equivalents of existing Instants that using them in basic edition or expansions would make them very boring indeed.
There are very few cards that can translate from Portal to Standard satisfactorily, and to WotC`s credit most of those ARE used.
While Portal remains seperate in rules it will necessarily remain largely seperate in cards.

L

Landkiller

I must admit I do not know about Portal.

Ok. From what I understand :

Portal Rules work exactly like Magic Rules.

Except :
There is only sorceries and creatures for card types.

So why wouldn't these cards be compatible? Many times I have played someone who used Portal cards, and the only effect I noticed is they got screwed with no instants to use.

M

magicman_moe

oh good god i cant belive this crap!
this is kinda dumb man.
they act as though the newbies wont have anyone to teach them what trample and x spells are!
good lord i got taught the hardcore way man! fire ball was the least of my problems that was easy!
anyone can learn how to play mtg in a day it just takes time to learn and remember all the rules and stuff. they act like the newbies are stupid and will be confused with trample and x spells and anything that requires thought!

see mtg is like chess, its meant to be a smart persons game. or to put it another way, its meant to be a game where you plan stuff out and think . but you dont haveta be newton or anything i know lots of stupid mtg players heheheheh.(really!)
cmon trample isnt that hard to understand!
oh well wotc are morons if this is what they wanna do

oh and i agree with nodnarb24 hehehe.

L

Landkiller

Dude, Magic is SO much harder than chess it's not funny. Magic is a game many people are afraid of!

T

theorgg

I second the vote. we need to let WOTC know that several people arn't(or are) satisfied with Portal's tournament status.

It should be allowed in Type One at least!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Landkiller: I'm not too familiar with Portal either, but I believe it doesn't use the same templating as "regular" Magic. For instance, I don't think they use the word "target". They just say "a creature" or something.

http://www.crystalkeep.com has a bunch of Portal cards that say "If playing under non-Portal rules, the card should say ~this" so I'm guessing WOTC "toned" down the wording for them.

But again, I don't really know, so that's one guess.

B

Baskil

Portal does have different wording.

Wrath of God read: Put all creatures into their owners’ discard piles. (This includes your creatures.)

In addition to the crappy artwork on it.

R

rYaNsPVT

i hope at least they reprint my argothian wurm... i luv it next to the rebecca guay cards...

maybe WOTC realized that there are more and more people who doesn't have enough logic and mathematics skills... maybe that was the secret reason why they have to stop battletech

C

Chaos Turtle

I'm glad Portal's not legal anywhere.
You'd have to have the (unofficial, by the way) errata to know what creatures are which type for P1 cards.

(I suspect Orgg just wants "Fog'ive and Fog'et" to be Type 1 legal.) ;)

I wouldn't mind seeing Starter becoming legal, though. I was hoping that it would become the entry-level set; basic and more-or-less unchanging.
That would leave some room to improve the challenge level of the "Core" sets.

Anyhow, I'm not commenting on the rumors until I see something valid for myself.

I

Istanbul

The simple truth is that the world is being transformed into a soft, cushy place, where the weak of mind are catered to. Portal was Wizards' way of "dumbing down" Magic so that the average Joe could get into it without having to ask as many of those pesky 'question' things.

I say, if you aren't smart enough to be able to comprehend normal Magic after a little teaching, it's not for you.