A question of Newbies

N

NeuroDeus

7th Edition is now more geared towards newbies and new players other than anything. Lots of cards have been removed just to not having the newbies mixed up or worse make there heads twirl with rules. It seems it is becoming a great worry for the WoTC that newbies might see the game complicated and just not play the game. To my own opinion they are trying to make Magic a sort of game which you pick up, play for a year, then discard. Already trample and banding have been 'banned' from the Core Set and now I am finding rumors and articles about removing cards with 'X' in their casting cost. Worse still is the removing of creatures which to play you need some thought about. Its becoming a question of just putting big creatures with no way to make your brain work. Fireball has been dumped because it confuses newbies about the extra mana for extra target... its just a question of maths...

I am literally fed up and nearly to the verge of swearing to not buying any more cards from the Core Editions. Core Editions is supposed to be Advanced and not a starter set...

J

Jaws10387

I'll have to agree on this one.
[me] rouses the large dragonlike flamer of WotC that is the CPA.[/me] THis is a reason to get mad. No x spells? At all? No more basic set for me.

H

Hawaiian mage

Hey, looks like the CPA has a reason to complain again. :)

Finally!

G

Griffion2000

Why do you buy basic sets anyways?
They are just reprints on cards you already have. :)
Unless you play type 2 ;)

M

Multani

I was fed up the day they took out interrupts. But this is ridiculous.
Banning Banding, that I can understand. It's very hard to utilize and understand, even for the advanced player.
But Trample???? It's so simple. a 3/3 Trampler is blocked by a 1/1. 1/1 controller takes 2 damage, and it gets past regenerators, and pro: creatures.

WoTC: Prepare to suffer the wrath of the CPA! Charge!!!!

C

Cateran Emperor

Yeah, and I want my Protection creatures back! Where are my BLACK KNIGHTS????? 5th edition even had good artwork (anything called a Black Knight should carry a bigass Great Axe like that)

A

Apollo

Where have you heard all of this stuff? No more trample? No more X-Spells? Where is this coming from?

If it's true, I'd say we should bombard WotC with letters. But I would want a source first.

D

Duel

I agree. I've not heard hide nor hair of those rumors, and I'm repulsed by them. First, though, before we do anything, I'd like to know where this is from....

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Frankly, Magic WAS meant to be picked up and played with in a day. Of course the designers couldn't see how hard or easy it would be to learn in the first couple sets so they just threw in all the cool stuff. As Magic has grown, I can see why they might decide to take out some stuff and leave it for "Expert" stuff. And if someone's jumping from Portal to Advanced, they might find the Instant stuff more than they can handle anyways (there's no Instant stuff in Portal, right? :))

Also, trample IS hard to someone learning the game. Look at the rules forum and you'll find a "couple" of trample questions. Second, the changes it's gone through is no different from getting rid of interrupts, so if you dislike getting rid of one you ought to be complaining about the other :rolleyes:

Next, the basic sets ARE reprints of old cards. As Griffion2000 said, you shouldn't have to worry about buying them if you already have the original cards. And there will be trample and x spells in the "Expert" expansions, so it's not going to disappear from Standard format.

And if you're casual, who cares?

L

Landkiller

Green creatures are so broken. Trample had to go. You mean you didn't see THAT coming? ;)

G

Gizmo

Trample wasn`t in 6th, either was it?
It`s hardly a new issue. It`s not 'banned' it just won`t be in the set that is decigned first and foremost as the gateway to Magic, the BEGINNER`S set.

Protection hasn`t gone, Trample hasn`t gone, they simply were too complicated for inclusion in a set deisgned to teach the basics.

D

Duel

Has anyone else heard this rumor? I can't find anything about it! SOMEONE else must have the same souces as NueroDeus, right?

N

NeuroDeus

About the X rumors I read at mtgnews on the forums of Rumors but just going again to the place I noticed that he mixed it up with something else... I am sorry... and hey Core Editions are not beginner's set...

D

Duel

Yeah, they kinda are. They're what I'd suggest to any beginner. They're more useful than portal, as thery give you cards you're allowed to play, and they don't have any of the "pet" mechanics like phasing, fading, echo, etc.

N

Nyx

Personally, I think the portal games were just a bad idea from the start. Some precon decks without any Tap:effect critters and devoid of instants would serve as well and be a better starting point for a player's personal decks/collections.

Trample may be replaced by the newer "super trample" which reads :~this~ may deal combat damage to the defending player instead of to blocking creatures. If that happens I'll be happy because so far its turning up in green, and it's even stronger than trample. I love my lured Rhoxs!

But I agree that the WotC team seems to have forgotten that the unlimited editions are defined as advanced, and not basic rules. Chess has some rules that are confusing to newbies (capturing en passant and castling, for example) but they are still included in even beginner's products.

I think they are at risk of forgetting what I call the golden rule of game design: If you design your product for the lowest common denominator, you get a low and common product.

D

Duel

The problem with portal is that thee are a great number of cards you cannot use outside of portal. We need to make a beginner's set with ENTIRELY USABLE, LEGAL CARDS. Make it simple, make it easy, make it playable, though. THIS woudl be the ideal starter set, as the cards they get early will still be good later on.

I

Istanbul

Hear, hear. I wonder how many people have been turned off of Magic after really enjoying Portal, starting the normal sets, and being told, "Oh, 95% of the cards you spent all that money on, you can't use. Wanna play?" Bleh. I say, make Portal cards legal, or don't make them.

N

nodnarb24

Tanks-Check
Fighter jets-check
Guns-check
Missles-check
Blueprints to buildings-check
Biological weapons-check
Army of angry magic players-check

Yep, we are ready to storm the WoTC.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
this might be a good topic to tell TomB for his Voting Booth. Somebody ought to go to Magic Issues and mention this...