A question about religion

R

Rando

is one that can be found in many folklores of many countries. Obviously, they don't all have a guy named Noah, but they all deal with one or a few good people that live on after the world is cleansed by a flood.
I know that Chinese mythology has such a story, and I've heared of a tablet or some such from Sumar that also has such a story that pre-dates the Hebrew lore.
I need to start taking notes so I can offer some evidence on all of this stuff I keep posting.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
But I think most scholars/historians believe that there was some common global event for cultures all over to have the same theme of some Flood. At least in the Black Sea's case 7500 BCE, they believe that melting glaciers raised the water level so it breached the natural land dam at Bosporus and the water came flooding in. Presumably water levels would have been rising elsewhere and flooded other places.

So basically I'm agreeing with you and saying probably each culture adapted the memories of such an event to fit in their own religious way.

R

Rando

Is there anywhere I can get the Washington Post online?
I'd like to read that article.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
(well, not really because some sites don't have obvious names)

http://www.washingtonpost.com.

It's a front page article from Wednesday, 9/13/2000 (you should be able to get it; they only start charging if you look up articles either more than 2 weeks old or half a year; I can't remember).

Oh yeah, the title might help: Artifacts Found in the Black Sea May Be Evidence of Biblical Flood

[Edited by Spiderman on September 14th, 2000 at 03:06 PM]