A fun deck idea

C

chocobo_cid

That would have been a nice card, though. I like alternate ways to win...

I'll have to settle for Donate Illusions or Poisoncounters-Hermetic study. :D

T

train

Gotcha - I was thinking it would be because you wouldn't want to buy any new cards...

T

train

Unfortunately WoTC has the right to do this... and we don't have much of a say...

C

chocobo_cid

I don't doubt it, but it seems as any Magic Gaming in the near future will be using Apprentice...:rolleyes:

T

train

Is that considered a proxy of MTGO?... and if so can
WoTC stop it?...;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I would have thought they would have stopped it a long time ago, or even when MTGO was getting off the ground, if that was the case...

T

train

Well - I think it's more of the "It isn't hurting us yet..." But if they keep raising prices for tourneys, and digital items - apprentice may be the way to go...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I would have thought they would have nipped it in the bud, but you're right, it could have been under the radar and low priority until the time is right... I guess we'll have to see.

C

chocobo_cid

It would hurt general popularity if a player was not allowed to playtest a deck with an unofficial or free supplement.

Though it may increase short term revenue, the ban of a supplement would kill off newer players, the group that they want to propagate the most.

T

train

I don't see how apprentice brings in new players though...

Apprentice is not as much a supplement to Magic, as it is a workaround for not buying the product itself...

you can easily test decks by making proxies yourself...;)

C

chocobo_cid

Whatever.;)

It seemed like a good argument at the time. As far as I can tell, my thought process was something along the lines of:

Proxies, Apprentice:
Cheap, efficent way to play the game.
" " " " learn how to play.

New Players!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure what you mean by "efficient". Apprentice doesn't enforce the rules, all it does is provide a "common play area" for two people to play. You still have to manually tap cards, go through the phases and steps, put cards in the graveyard, etc. So a person still needs to know how to play before using Apprentice, unlike MTGO, which actually DOES enforce the rules (from what I understand).

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Efficient in that it isn't dependent on outside resources except a rulebook, maybe? Mainly there's the "cheap" thing...

C

chocobo_cid

This is really a moot point, though. I retract my reasoning, as it was especially inane.

T

train

I honestly think that's a first on the board...:p

I guess it all boils down to the StarOffice vs. Microsoft Office bit... they can't demand you use their product and theirs only... but they can protect theirs as much as possible...

Does anyone remember WoTC bringing up anything about Apprentice, or Suitcase, or anything in the past?...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't recall any. There was a bit of questioning on the Magic Suitcase forums whether they could use the mana symbols or card images, but I think they figured they'd keep using them until WOTC says something :)