A discourse upon the habits and self defense of the socially rejected in High School.

If I asked you how many angels can dance on your head, what would you do?

• Laugh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Take offense

• Hit me

• Give me money

• Say 42

• Say As many as want to

• Change the subject

• Roll your eyes

• Attempt to hit me with a book

• Dance a jig

• Total voters
R

Rand

As a newcomer to this posting facility, I would first tell you that the following words, while true, were not posted entirely voluntarily. One of your members, upon hearing me say some of what is posted below, demanded rather loudly and redundantly that I place it within the annals of this website. This member shall go unnamed, but suffice to say that his name would be followed by the word "Leto" to fans of the Dune series, or by "of Earl" to most others.

I am to post my alternative usage for the common book to placate him, and put a cessation to his constant and repetative entreaties.

But I should give you backstory, or how will you know where the subject came from?

Ah, yes.

I was talking to my assosiate about stereotypes. I told my friend that I look every inch the Computer Nerd.

People -- complete strangers sometimes! -- will come up to me and ask

"How do I maximize the RAM potential of my Pentium 3.7 while downloading mp3 files over an ethernet connection to a site in Djibouti using an IMac, if the "j" key is frozen and my gum has lost all of its flavor?"

Or something along similar lines.

Now, in response to this queary, my eyes usually cross and I roll up into a fetal postion.

Computers and I, you see, are not on speaking terms.

In fact, this is the second draft of this document, as cursed AOL kicked me off for alleged "inactivity"

Now I don't want to get off on a rant, here...

So I shall return to my subject.

You see, it is easy to mistake me for a Computer Nerd. I am, in fact, a nerd, though of an older and rarer species:

I am a Book Nerd. (all glory be to the written word!)

I never venture from my homestead without some manner of book at my side. Always within my grasp is some novel, some volume, some anthology.

Indeed, I go through more books in a week than most do in a fortnight.

But, to be a successful Book Nerd, more is needed than literacy.

A Nerd, of any sort, must defend themselves from the IQ-deficient masses.

Our first line of defense is what I like to call the "null zone." Each Nerd produces one. It allows us to pass, virtually unmolested, through and among normal people.

We are far from invisible. Nerds lack what some call 'fashion sense.' We like to think of it as having the good sense to not care a whit about fashion. We wear what is most comforable and efficient for us. And, as "fashionable" clothes are neither comfortable nor efficient, we stand out in a crown like an eight foot tall screaming Hessian with a burning head in line for the Teapot ride at Disneyland.

But nobody *sees* us.

They know *something* fills the space in which we occupy, the Null Zone. But it simply does not register in their minds what it could possibly be. A few of the more irritable sort may hurl some random and unwaranted insult, or small rock, toward the null field, but Nerds quickly learn to disregard the lummoxes that try to harrass them.

But their fellow social outcasts can see them.

And not all is peaceful in the exile world of social outcasts.

Most people only know of the existence of the social outcasts. They don't actually know where we reside during the day. We reside in an area I call "Reject Corner."

Every school has one. It is easy to find. Simply start at the center of campus, or wherever they keep the speakers that play that horrid, horrid "music" at lunch, and then find the place that is farthest from there and still on campus. The out-of-the-way area that most only see in passing. This is where the exiled reside.

To a normal person, social outcasts (though the name is viewed a misnomer, for our exile is seen as voluntary and brought on by the general stupidity of the clamoring crowds) are all the same. But there is a complex social strata in the outcasts as well.

Now, there is no "social ladder" among the exiled. But there are many distinct groups. You have the Nerds, the Geeks, the Dweebs, the Goths, the Gamers, and the Lost (those who belong in no group, even among the outcasts). Even these have further subdivisions. For instance, the gamers can be floppers, chuckers, flopjocks, or any number of things. Any given exile may be a member of any number of these groups. But on some instances, the groups disagree.

Exiles are just as susceptible to the esoteric forces that drive people mad as others.

One minute, a friendly dice chucker and you may be exchanging good-natured insults. The next, and they are biting your hand!

Or, even more perplexing, though sometimes entertaining to watch, is when the rare *female* wanders across Reject Corner. The males, physically inept but desperate for attention, try all sorts of things to gain the favor of the Y-chromosome deficient individual. I myself never partake of these demeaning activities, but I have seen many documented cases of the Gamer Mating Ritual, a memory which shall wake me up screaming for years to come, I'm sure.

Needless to say, in such an environment, a benevolent Book Nerd as myself must fashion some means of defense. I have found them in the books themselves.

Holding a book in my right hand by the bottom, nobody would expect me about to attack. Then suddenly I move, and there is a sharp stinging sensation on their right temple, and I glide (as well as a Nerd can glide - 18 dexterity I do not have, to be sure!) away, as the assailant shakes his head like a wounded animal.

For those of you who wish to know about this style of close combat, I shall enumerate some of its partiulars.

Textbooks and Hardcovers are to be avoided. They pack a heavy whallop, to be sure, and can conceivibly down an opponent in a single strike. However, they are large and unwieldy, rarely striking where intended and easy to dodge. If they avoid the blow, you leave yourself open for an intollerable duration, as the momentum of the textbook carries you well past where the target should have been.

Normal books, the novels that everyone is familiar with, are quite an ease to use. Swift to the strike, and difficult to dodge, a paperback book's corner can ellicit quite a sting if used properly, though the technique for doing so can only be achieved by practice. Trade paperback allow some of the punch of textbooks, but are much easier to use, and are my second choice of weapons.

My school, however, provides an additional choice, which has proven best. The school Library (called the "Media Center," as "Library" probably offended somebody)
gets all of its novels specially bound in a hard cover. Thus, you have the size, and weight, of a novel, but with the superior sheilding and striking ability. A quick blow with the corner can send an opponent reeling, focusing all of the power and momentum behind the blow into one point on their skin.

You must always mind your opponent's hands, lest they disarm you and leave you defenseless.

When using a book in this manner, it is the general instinct to try to strike the foe with the blunt face of the book. But while this makes a very pleasing "thump!" sound, it serves to procuce little effect. The best way to use a book in combat is to strike with one of the corners, on the binding side. This way, the book moves faster, hits harder, and does more damage. If well practiced, a quick, whiplike flick of a paperback's cover can produce a good sting, though again this takes time to learn to do properly.

Now, those who choose to use these techniques must do so valiantly. It is the code of the Book Nerd to do nothing that no good can originate from. I have used these techniques in earnest only thrice in my recollection in the past year: escaping a sudden Gamer Mating Ritual, getting a little troll dice-chucker to stop doing unspeakable things to a female friend of mine, and in the Great Redlands Nerd Civil War of 2001, which I shall recount to you presently.

It was a foggy day, February, if my memory serves me. It was the first Friday of the month, the day that the school newspapers are passed out to anyone and everyone (who does not know the journalism staff as I do) may not enter the school without being given several. Now, the dice chuckers were discussing a campain, talking of all the different swords and maces and such. Such talk got them excited. Their leader, whom I shall refer to as "W.," (the selfsame gamer who bit me) began to beat one of his peons, a friend of mine, with a rolled up newspaper. The rest of W's horde, and indeed most of the exiles, began to beat upon my poor friend, though one odd exception was the little troll that I later had to peel off of my Y-chromosome deficient friend.

Upon entering the scene and surmising my friend's plight, I gripped my book tightly (though, for the life of me, I can't recall what book it was, suffice to say, it was paperback) and entered the fray.

After quickly disarming the white Asian fellow, noticed that my friend had three attackers, one of which was his treacherous overlord, W. I hastened to relieve my friend of two of his assailants, though it became readily apparent that only W posed any danger, and that not much.

Drawing W away from my unfortunate friend (who, incidentally, is Jewish; wouldn't you know that everyone would pick on the one Jew in the area! It was up to the only Portuguese person and the only Troll to save him!), I held both of my foes at bay, until the troll was freed up enough to take the lesser one off my hands. Reduced only to W, I made a quick advance, gave a slight sting upon the arm holding the rolled up newspaper, causing him to fall back. He thrust, and I dodged. Again and again (for while my dexterity may not be admirable, it does exceed that of most exiles in many cases). He tried to a swinging blow, but I blocked with my book. He tries higher, for he does have height advantage on me, but I block again. We continue, until his paper is ragged. I attack. His weapon serving only to cool me off when he attacks, I buffet his cranium with several subsequent blows, causing him to retreat in earnest.

Relieved of my foe, I give aid to the troll, fighting valiently for his short stature. We quickly dispatch him, though the troll made the final blow. Looking for another foe, I see W, with a fresh newspaper rolled about his raveged one. My face like stone, I go to him through the fog, book-slapping a few enemies on my way (with only two allies, enemies were never in short supply). I call to the troll, and to my finally liberated friend to guard my back, and I attack W once more. I know his double-paper shan't be destroeyed as quickly, so I focus on him. I hit his weapon arm, then the other. His face, then his back. He hits me but once, a glancing blow to my off arm. The troll attacks him from behind. By the time class starts, he is thoroghly beaten, and my defenseless friend was never attacked in such a way again.

Anyroad, I have been typing this for an hour, so I bid you all adieu for now.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You should have typed it on Word or something and then just cut and pasted to prevent being kicked off...

Here's a question: Is it automatic that a "nerd" must lack fashion sense or reside in the reject corner? What makes a nerd a nerd? Just being smart? Knowing his subject in and out? Or must he be all three (smart, lack of fashion, reject corner)?

C

Chaos Turtle

Have you by any chance read Hunter S. Thompson? Do it. I hope you've also taken in some Vonnegut, but I really want you to look for anything you can find by William S. Burroughs. I think they'd be right up your alley, based upon your writing style.

Good work, in other words.

(And thanks Mr. Unnamed-but-starts-with-D-and-ends-with-ookey, for insisting that this get sent our way.)

I would have fallen out of my chair laughing if I wasn't too exhausted to do so.

Spiderman says:
You should have typed it on Word or something and then just cut and pasted to prevent being kicked off...
Alternatively, he should just quit AOL altogether, and then type it on Word or something and then just cut and paste it... ;) I only say this because, despite their popularity (or is their popularity a sypmtom of the problem?) AOL sucks major (deleted) (deleted)s.

C

Chaos Turtle

...and then log on -- using any other ISP than AOL -- to post it. :p

*snicker*

Z

Zadok001

LoL@ the Null Zone idea. :) I've had some experience with that. It actually goes a bit further than that at times. I spent damn near my entire Freshman year finding ways to get from point A to point B with minimal interference and notice (not like I needed to STUDY). This has passed over into my current school, and I find that, despite peopler noticing me, I can still go quite near invisible when I want to. Amazingly useful, that...

Looks like you pretty much nailed the plight of true nerds in High School. There are, of course, exceptions - The nerd with fashion sense, the nerd who'd taller and stronger than all the jocks, the ner who can manipulate jocks into doing anything, etc... And, of course, it's different in every school. I can vouch for my two high schools, they couldn't be less alike. My first was standard, big, full of annoying people, etc... My second, and the one I just graduated from, is a nerd school, effectively. The only people who get shunned are the the folks that would be popular at any other school. It's a hilarious role reversal that only those who have seen both sides notice.

Needless to say, I love that school. :)

R

Rand

There are many classes of social exile, as I said earlier, and I believe I shall now elaborate as to the distinctions therein. And yes, I have read some Vonnegut, but have not yet encountered Thompson.

There are several classes of socially rejected individuals. Now, the precise extent of the that term differs from High School to High School. In mine, for example, the football team is included, due to their general lack of any ability whatsoever, which has many repercussions which I shall likely discuss at some later date. However, the subclasses I shall enumerate should be universal inhabitants of Reject Corner.

Nerds: A nerd is somebody too smart and self-aware to conform. They see stupidity around them, and cannot bear to be part of it, and as such distance themselves from society. They have to much of a distinct personality to surrender themselves blindly to the masses. These are the scholars of High School, the students from which all answers originate, as their non-nerd friends copy down the homework the period before it is due.

Note, I said non-nerd friends. Nerds, you see, have the inclination not to conform to society. We never break rules where we can avoid it, that is against our principle as well. We respect order, an order that society itself does not offer. So not all smart people are nerds, but smart normal people can see through the Null Field I discussed last night, to the actual person underneath. And, whilst smart people are not necessarily Nerds, they can at least identify with Nerds, and understand their motives. Sometimes, conversions even occur. At any rate, a Nerd can have a sizable complement of good friends, though likely not the huge complement of acquaintances normal people have.

Today, Nerds do not dress as they have been depicted in movies, with the button-up shirts and pocket protectors. Many of us do wear glasses, though the field of optometry has progressed to reduce their size. We wear pants that fit, and about the waist, as they are intended; not at the lowest part of our body that isn't legs, with a belt that has to be tight enough to cut of circulation just so the pants do not fall off. Generally, we don't bother combing our hair, and if we do we put nothing in it to keep it that way. Under no circumstances will be spike or color it, as no good can come of that. Piercings, for males, at least, are seldom, if ever, considered.

Book Nerds: As the name says, we specialize in books and reading. Most are fair to decent writers, have a fine vocabulary with many superfluous words in common usage.

Computer Nerds: Think of Bill Gates. Speak in code, have their own websites, and fully expect to be zillionaires someday. This is not the same as the Computer Geek.

Geeks: Similar to Nerds, but less covert about it. Not nearly as smart as Nerds, and thus either consciously or subconsciously try harder to look like one. May attempt difficult classes, and fail, and blame on some extraneous circumstance. Have forward bending posture, usually in compensation to heavy backpacks, that makes their walk somewhat reminiscent of fowl. Will try very hard to be funny, but do not notice when they are the only ones laughing at their jokes.

Sadly, due to their level of intelligence, Geeks do not have the protection of a Null Field. To survive, Geeks either go straight to class, or remain in Reject corner, or some other safe haven.

Computer Geeks: Not as smart as Computer Nerds, but still much better with computers than anyone else besides Computer Nerds. Hence, are often mistaken for Computer Nerds. These often grow their hair long, and gradually withdraw from all human contact, choosing instead to dwell in a small dark room and use the computer constantly. They also expect to be zillionaires, but more often that not just become another faceless programmer, instead of the affluent head of the company.

Dorks: Think they are nerds, but are really quite stupid. This often comes from overly supportive parents, who insist that their "child is smart, but he is bullied, and that is why he does so poorly," or that the classes are "too boring" for him, and that's why he fails. Again, no Null Field, but they are not always smart enough to retreat to Reject Corner, and are often fairly miserable individuals.

Goths: Pure nonconformists. Can be any range of intelligences. Don't conform just so that they aren't conforming, not for any specific reason. Easily recognizable, with dark clothing, dark or unnaturally colored hair, and very pale skin. Usually very introverted. This is one of the few reject groups made up of at least as many females as males.

Lackeys: For lack of a better term, servants. Dorks and Geeks, lacking the intellect of a Nerd, will sometimes latch onto one, doing as they wish and asking nothing in return, following them around, and generally just trying to break their way into the Nerds from there.

Lackey Master: This is the Nerd that can command anyone's lackey. Either the smartest Nerd, or the one that acts as if he is smartest (the Alpha Male, so to speak). Each school may only have one Lackey Master at a time, and on the occasion when one should rise to claim the title while it is occupied...it is not pretty.

Lackey Masters usually take on a Protege, selecting their own Lackey from among the smartest Nerds. This person acts as a second-in-command, ruling in the Lackey Master's absence. If the Lackey Master should leave the school, his position falls upon his Protege.

the Lost: These belong to no group. Not smart enough to be Nerds or Geeks, nor fancying themselves to be one; cannot conform to any group, even such a one as the Goths. They will sometimes become Lackeys, but only to those they personally know. These are the unseen individuals of High School, that hide in doorways and around corners, trying to remain unnoticed. Often very complex individuals. One example, a friend of mine, is an atheist lesbian with a flock of Christian girls she sells to gamers, and is forming into a cult.

Dweebs: these are counted among the Lost, but they think they are normal. They try to dress normally, but make the clothing look even more ridiculous that it already is. They try to hang out with normal people, but are ignored and ridiculed. When they encounter another social reject, they have a haughty and superior attitude, for they truly don't believe that they ARE social rejects.

Freshmen: This one grieves me. Senior or no, I feel bad for the 9th graders. Always the largest class, Freshmen are social rejects only because they don't know how to, and aren't allowed to enter, the social system. Those who had been social rejects in Middle School quickly find their way to Reject Corner, while the others are forced to stand at lunch, in the middle of walkways, as all other seats are taken. Personally, I never understood the animosity toward Freshmen. They are short, yes, and still somewhat naive, but that is no reason to ostracize the whole lot of them. This year, as I was a Junior, the Freshman were so brutally oppressed by the seniors that even some of the staunchest anti-Freshmen Juniors felt sorry for them. Such is the idiocy of the masses, to shout that "Freshmen Suck!" at the end of their Senior year, when they themselves will either be Freshmen in college, or flipping burgers.

Gamers - Many social rejects use card- and role-playing games as a sort of release from High School life, or just for some intellectual stimulation. They can be found, sitting cross-legged on the cement under an awning in or near Reject corner, moving little plastic characters, rolling dice, or playing cards. They stay out of the way more from necessity than any other social rejects, as normal people can get destructive, and it would be a shame to have that nice Shivan Dragon stepped on or stolen.

Cardfloppers - Play collectible card games. I'm sure most of us here belong, or once belonged, to this caste.

Dicechuckers - Role-playing gamers. Usually AD&D, though occasionally something else entirely. As Role-playing takes about 6 or so people that no each other well, there is usually no more than one group of these.

Flopjocks - I am not precisely sure on the definition of this, though I believe it describes those brainless people who are Cardfloppers, but not very good at it, and play the games based upon Wrestling.

Since 1993, when Magic first came out, there has been some animosity between Floppers and Chuckers. I don't pretend to understand it, but there it is.

Now, an anecdote:

During my Freshman year, there was but one group of about a dozen cardfloppers. We all played Magic, and nobody played anything else.

And it was good.

My Sophomore year saw many changes. The Freshman who came in that year were, on average, stupid. I do not say this out of any of that unfounded anti-Freshman propaganda, for there is statistical proof that they were dumb: 30% were failing one or more of their classes first semester. The reason is that, for the last few decades, California tried to teach English using thrice-cursed Whole Language, instead of tried-and-true Phonics. My class was the first year never to get any Phonics, though some teachers still taught it out of habit for a year or two. The class after mine got no phonics at all, an is thus illiterate.

Coinciding with the inundation of stupid-freshmen was the release of the much maligned Pokemon card game (I will not attempt to hide my feelings regarding the wretched fad). Many -- very many -- of the Freshmen played Pokemon, and as such flooded the Cardflopper territory. Driven mad by constant utterings of phrases such as "Mwy Pweekachew bwounces awf'a yous Chawasyd!", me and most of the other flopper's made an exodus from our ancestral homeland, searching high and low for another place to reside.

As my Junior year began, the Pokemon fad had ended in our area. What remained of the original Cardfloppers returned to our promised land, but it was a bitter return, for we had suffered many losses. Our best player, unsatisfied with the stagnating competition, stopped attending. A good friend of mine, the Lackey Master, moved away. One of us graduated, and another tested out to become a telemarketer. With only myself, the thief, and the tall one left from the original group, most of the cardfloppers were new. Many were new recruits from the waning Pokemon trend. I played less and less, as it grew boring, until I stopped playing for several months, though that was more due to the general crumminess of the sets, Masques Block.

Some of the neophyte Magic players were incredibly stupid. Their leader, and dumbest of them all, is James, a horrid Dweeb that thinks he is one of the greatest strategists in years. He has

Cast Control Magic on a Pro. Blue creature WITH PRESENCE OF THE MASTER in play.

Played a deck taller than his shoe, without sleeves, for the entire year.

Cast Control Magic on a creature with Diplomatic Immunity on it. (Because it was an old version of Control Magic that read "Gain control of Enchanted Creature")

Insisted that the +1/+1 counters from Thrive, which already sucks, leave at end of turn, because it is a sorcery.

Traded his Gaea's Cradle for some Uncommons.

Played a Tradewind Rider, on cement, with no sleeve.

Dared to tell me that he knows everything about European History, then proceeded to say that he knew about WWII and the black plague, so he knew everything.

The list goes on.

Some of the more intelligent newcomers, led by W, bolted to form a dice-chucking group, that for whatever reason integrated me into their campaigns just to kill me daily in entertaining ways. The new players, such as James, formed two or three groups of seven to ten, and played huge chaos multiplayer games (and there is no card they will not play! I've seen RoP: Lands in play. RoP: LANDS!)

In short, the gamers schismed, and I was unfortunate enough to be Lackey Master when nobody deserved a Lackey.

I stopped playing, the thief became a flopjock instead (as his accomplice was also lost in the exodus), and the tall one was never heard from again.

Rand, HGML Story Guru
www.angelfire.com/ne/roden/index.html

R

Rand

I shall reply to the comment made as I posted that last bit.

The Null Field is a useful thing indeed. I have opened doors, only to have the occupants look and wonder why the door opened of its own accord.

I, too, reside in such a school that is atypical of the normal social atmosphere, which is why the socially rejected are more self-exiled hermits than fugitives from society.

You see, my school's football team sucks.

A lot.

In its four year existence, it has one but one game.

Against a Christian Private School.

That has beaten it many times before and since.

They are the lowest of the low. Even Freshmen ridicule them and beat them up.

Without the Football players being the top of the social ladder, the Cheerleaders become of little more import on campus than any club.

The Intellect "sports," like the Debate Team and Mock Trial, are the pride of the school. The popular kids are in Journalism and Yearbook.

(And the popular kids even go so far as to associate with Nerds. I have many connections amongst them)

As a matter of fact, there is no social "ladder" at my school. At most, it is a social footstool.

Without the football team to create the social strata, the campus is much more benign for all.

It is wonderful, truly it is. I only hope that the football team may suck forever.

Rand, HGML Story Guru
www.angelfire.com/ne/roden/index.html

Killer Joe

...but did you mention, "Band Nerd"?
I'm a drummer, so I carried my sticks with me everywhere in High School. To avoid proper beatings from jocks and such, I would dazzle them with cool drumming licks like this: rat-ta-tat-tat/bingity bap/Whoop dupe zeebop/flappity skat!
Also, I was very stupid in High School (GPA 2.5 and way lower). However, in defense of myself, I kept a 3.5 and above average in College, where that stuff really matters.
Almindhra was a band nerd, too.
How she survived High School is beyond me :).

R

Rand

I do not recall ever encountering one at my school, and am not even so sure we have a marching band. However, Band Nerds, as I understand it, to suffer through a difficult time in High School.

How do the non-drummers defend themselves? Some of those musical instruments are no doubt very expensive, so I doubt you would see anyone beating an assailant over the head with one.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Of course, a "Band Nerd" with a trombone case dressed like someone from the mob wouldn't get much trouble.

Z

Zadok001

There's also a group I've experienced that I refer to as the "Nerd Team." Whether or not they exist anywhere but my first HS beats me, but they're out there. :) There were about 5 of them that I met, but they had carefully positioned themselves throughout the high school social ladder, melding connections with every social sphere. As a result, they could play both sides against the middle effectively at will. They weren't the most powerful group, but they seemed to know damn near everything before it happened. Very impressive.

I strive to be like them... :)

R

Rand

I forge alliances with intelligent normal people, using the sheer force of snide comments to form a trust-bond. It really is quite easy, as long as you are a born smart-alek.

Speaking of, I think that nobody has understood my poll question, or not found a suitible answer.

S

sculdsama

The person who started this post, is indeed, my good friend.
There are two, more of the intelligent people whom I speak with during lunch, and this individual is one of the two.
Being a female, and not a paper and pencil gamer, a magic player, ANY kind of card player, is a difficult life. Although I definately have my nerdy attributes--compulsive comic book reader, console RPGer, frequent atendee of comic-or anime-based conventions.
There's not a day that passes that I am not verbally abused in a sexual manner. Luckily, I expect nothing of these people, as the abusers are my good friends, and I know their behavior and level of intelligence.
This post is an ode to this good friend of mine.
May your life be long and your books be hard-covered.
That's all, lol.
-Amy

R

Rand

You know you shall never be verbally abused on my part!

And if my books go hardcover, how useful would they be as weapons?

But, for those of you who doubt my veracity, I assure you that everything I said is quite true.

D

DÛke

...I told you they'd like you Rand, you're just twisted in a good way like that. Oh, you can thank me later for introducing you to the CPA...maybe by actually PAYING (I'll take cash, money orders, checks, Master Card, Visa...) me for my hard work for the HGML...right? (j/k) :)

Hope you and Amy enjoy the CPA.

D

Darsh

Very informative...oh, and welcome to the CPA. And you should always try to follow up a book-attack with a food attack, the stains will remove any null field he has and leave him an easy target for ridicule.

Oh and Duke, you know I get 75% of everything you make...

N

nodnarb24

Originally posted by Zadok001
There's also a group I've experienced that I refer to as the "Nerd Team." Whether or not they exist anywhere but my first HS beats me, but they're out there. :) There were about 5 of them that I met, but they had carefully positioned themselves throughout the high school social ladder, melding connections with every social sphere. As a result, they could play both sides against the middle effectively at will. They weren't the most powerful group, but they seemed to know damn near everything before it happened. Very impressive.
I strive to be like them... :)
That's pretty much like me and my group. We know EVERYTHING that goes on. If I wanted to, I could bring done the whole social structure at my school with ease. We're like the Illuminati, we rule with an invisible fist.

Rand: You seem like a pretty cool guy. I think I'm going to like you.

R

Rand

And, even if stained, a Nerd is still protected. It takes some majorly strange clothing to get noticed, like a fully-loaded tactical vest.

D

Darkstar

I being a member of the lost wish to defend my dignity you just so carlessly flushed down the drain. I am a loner, with only a few close friends. No one in school in like us, nor enjoys the same activities as we do (Magic, airsoft, punk). None the less, we stick up for ourselves. We do nothide behind a paperback everytime a fight breaks loose. If iam in danger of bodily harm, I simply "Fight Back". Not with books, but with a contorted mass of fists and Old Skool Style Airwalks. Usually this inflicts enough damage to the opponent to cause them to retreat, unless broken up by a school authority. Now, why cant you simply beat the urine out of an assailant, instead of hitting them with a book. A tightly lighter packed fist, hurts and inflicts much more damage than a book. And these females you speak of are the same in my culture. Not only do they reject the already rejected, they seem to "taunt" us as well. I being the inconsiderate, egotistical feind I am, blatently cursed a female, who in which was dating a man none as the school bady as "Shaggy". Now shaggy is about a 7ft hairy, monster, who is very intimidating. He confronts me and chews me up like a peice of winterfresh and demands an apology. I inturn refuse, and suffer injuries to the face and chest cavity. All in all, i say fight back and do what you think is right.

PS, have you ever read the hobbit? That book kicks ass!

EDITS:

Band nerd? I play elec, does that mean im a band nerd? I dont feel like any of the groups mentioned so far (excluding lost) just that no one is like us. In anyother school, we would be kings. We dress different (not clean and comfortable, yet I wear band t-shirts, ripped up jeans, and airwalks) act differnt, and do different things. My 2 closest friends and I are the only students in Livingston county who have a band and play locally, now should that cast us out? I say no. Now that we play locally, and perform for the school (it was cool) on special occassions, all the busty beautiful girls communicate and dare i say flirt with us? Yes. Now I have a reason to go to the drugstore, hehehe... I think that music is the ultimate escape. It brought my friends and I happiness, why cant it cure all forms of rejection?