8th ed speculation

Ferret

Staff member
I've heard a rumour that an infamous card that has been around since Alpha will be leaving the game forever: Counterspell! Isn't this a shame? :p

-Ferret

"Finally: Blue gets something good removed!"

M

Mr_Pestilence

About **^%* time, I'd say!

I've always hated Counterspell - it's just way too cheap. Counterspells in general should start at about 4 or 5 cc, then become more expensive as they add more abilities.

Even the new cycling/enchantment Counterspell thingy seems pretty cheap to me...

T

train

I was actually looking at the Tundra and thinking it was incorrect for Rules reasons... by tapping it you'd get a U/W mana automatically because there's no rules text to tell you that you get 1 of the 2...:rolleyes:

As for counterspell, maybe it's giant growth... who knows... maybe it the charms...:D

"There's 5 newly open spots for useful cards...":D

N

Nightstalkers

It just doesn't seem right is all...

Green has its giant growth.
Black its dark ritual.
Red its lightning bolt
white has a healing potion or something to that matter
and what will blue have! Nothing whatsoever...

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Nightstalkers

Black its dark ritual.
Red its lightning bolt
Blue will NOT have nothing. They'll still have other counters like Force Spike and whatnot. They'll still have the most flying creatures than any colour. They'll still have card drawing engines from hell...this will just help level the playing field a little...

-Ferret

"I want my Scryb Sprites back!"

N

Nightstalkers

even if they reprint the others blue will have lost one of its most powerful spells.

Thats like taking away the ketchup from me when I get fries...

I miss food

TomB

Administrator
Staff member

Black its dark ritual.
Red its lightning bolt
Actually, blue lost it's counterpart to those spells, Ancestral Recall, a long, long time ago. And IMHO, it's not the counterspells that make blue so damn powerful - it's the card drawing spells and "dig" effects, like Impulse.

N

Nightstalkers

Even if they print the other counters blue will have lost one of its best spells. Why not take my ketchup away when I order fries!

I miss food :(

One thing I would concider taking away are all of them stupid rares, ever buy fifteen packs and get crap like impatience, Delusions of Mediocrity, Mahamoti Djinn, Okk, Wildfire, Sunweb, Vizzerdrix, Etc, Etc...

7th was a real bust for me because of the fact that really bad rares were coming by the pack. Why should I expect more from 8th when I can just save the money and buy the next set.

I

Istanbul

Well, we know that Blood Moon, Obliterate, Nekrataal, Birds of Paradise, Vine Trellis, Two-Headed Dragon, and Glorious Anthem will be in 8th, plus a few I'm forgetting.

Those aren't so bad, are they?

T

train

7th was a real bust for me because of the fact that really bad rares were coming by the pack. Why should I expect more from 8th when I can just save the money and buy the next set.
You have to understand that the base set is not meant for "us" experienced players with vast collections to purchase...

We want the "expert" level cards with additional rules from new abilities, or play schemes...

The base set is first and foremost for those recently getting into the game, and maybe those wanting some base "power" cards - wrath of god, and Birds for example...

N

Nightstalkers

As it should be. But if you make a bunch of crap cards like in YGO, you'll eventually be selling packs like the card shop down the street! (Which still has 20 boxes of Odyssey because they thought it was going to sell)

Ferret

Staff member
As it should be. But if you make a bunch of crap cards like in YGO, you'll eventually be selling packs like the card shop down the street! (Which still has 20 boxes of Odyssey because they thought it was going to sell)
Well...if they're just sitting around you can send them to me. I would happily take them off your hands so you can free up all of that valuable shelf space... :)

-Ferret

"Anything for a friend"

N

Nightstalkers

You'll have to talk to the owner about that...

If you look throughout the sets you will find all sorts of crap remakes such as Fyndhorn Elves and Femeref Healer are just a couple of remakes of good cards.

Llanowar Elves, and Samite Healer for you that don't want to figure out on your own what they are remakes of...

Open your eyes and see the darkness, for darkness is the truth, the light blinds you to the truth the darkness offers the True Knowledge while the Light shows you the path to nothing.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Those aren't "remakes", those are "reprints" and it's because they're in the first set of a block. You gotta remember, some same cards end up in the first set (usually) because of all the different Magic formats.