8th ed speculation

M

Mr_Pestilence

Here's a thought - I think dual lands will be back (to stay) in 8th and forever after.

Yeah, I know about the reserveded list, and the claim that WotC won't reprint anything on it, but I think they may make this one exception.

Why? Several clues:

1) One of the official WotC commentators, Randy Buehler I believe, spoke last year about the reserveded list. Addressing the issue of collectors losing value on their "investment", he said that sometimes reprinting a card increases interest in the "original" copies of the card, thereby increasing the value of the original.

2) The reserveded policy has been in constant flux. While I don't believe they have removed anything from the reserveded list, they have gone back on several long time policies, such as unrestricting Berserk.

3) The reserved list was established a long time ago. Things change, owner's change (see: Hasbro), the desire to sell things changes (see: disappointing sales for 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th editions), and mistakes are made. If it becomes known that dual lands are in 8th, I expect a lengthy explanation from WotC covering the points I have already mentioned, and the acknowledgement that dual lands are simply too integral to the game to be left out forever, a favorite among tournament and casual players alike, and that it was a mistake to "reserve" them in the first place.

Of course, 8th ed. sales would set all-time records. Wouldn't you love a set of foil dual lands?

Read the WotC press release discussing the change in format on the cardface. Go ahead, I'll wait...

www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=sideboard/ptchi03/unveiling

Good! You're back. Isn't it interesting that Tundra is mentioned specifically? Also, why reprint Blood Moon? To hose the dual lands of course!

The future looks interesting...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I disagree :) I think dual lands are on the level of other "power cards" from the Revised and before days and will not see reprint.

I think you're getting the terms "restricted" and "reprint" mixed up. The purpose of the restricted (and banned) list is to make sure a card doesn't overpower the environment. When things change and cards are added, as it has over the last 8 or so years when Beserk was first restricted, such cards can be less overpowering. They've removed cards from the restricted list before, like Shatterstorm.

The reprint policy is a different matter. I don't remember exactly what it is, so someone would have to come up with an example of when it was first written and then went back and reprinted a card.

I could see the Ice Age pain lands being reprinted though.

E

EricBess

I agree with Spiderman. WotC is very careful with lands. One of the rules they have is that a non-basic land should not be strictly better than a basic land. Yeah, they break rules all the time, but I don't think this one is likely to be broken as there is no need to.

Strictly better would be a land that comes into play untapped, can tap for a single color with no drawbacks, and has some other ability additionally. In the case of dual lands, the other ability is to tap for a second color with no drawbacks. In addition, it has the advantage of counting as two land types. That's a serious advantage, especially in light of Scorge's landcycle abilities.

N

Nightstalkers

If the dual lands come back count me in for the release part-ay!

that was sickening :vomiting:

One thing on my price radar has always been the consistancy of prices:

Set: C, U, R

New Sets: .50, 1.00, Varies
Older Sets: .25, .75, Varies
Editions (7th, 5th): .10, .50, Lower than original

But even with this system I have to use different formulas to figure the pricing using complicated arithmatic to figure out the new price for the older sets. Example:

Avatar of Woe: 20.00 (Current price)

8th reprint: 15.00

After reprint
8th Reprint: 8.00

This is just a little thing that I have a problem with most of the time. C and U are always kept the same unless U1 and the like.

(Who can resist getting this card? Thnx Chuck for getting me into artwork!)

Attachments

T

train

I'm being serious here - I think WOTC should let me decide what is on the reprint list and not on the reprint list...

Including the pre-blah will not be reprinted blanket... that's just dumb...

N

Nightstalkers

If you let us decide upon the reprints it would turn out like another spaceshuttle columbia (It wasn't my fault!). But the fact remains, if they were going to reprint the old dual lands, they would have done so already with the other editions.

T

train

Maybe they could have a public vote on reprinting cards...

Or just let me do it...

N

Nightstalkers

a poll would be great! but having you choose them would be like me running a liquor stand...

you see how that could be embarrasing to me.

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Nightstalkers
a poll would be great! but having you choose them would be like me running a liquor stand...

you see how that could be embarrasing to me.
The only drag w/ a poll is that everyone would want the power cards back and forget about the consequences in tournament play...and the combo/restriction/banning/taking-out-of-print cycle begins again...

-Ferret

"Sure, we'd all love to have 40 dual lands, but at what price?"

N

Nightstalkers

a controlled poll on magicthegathering.com

Does anyone understand the basics of advertising and web design around here?

Code:
Free Will v1.0

N

Nightstalkers

If I were to embed a virus into a bot profile, would the thing still run?

T

train

depends on whether or not your bot profile worked... and the virus worked...

N

Nightstalkers

Does anyone collect the cards for the artwork anymore? I mean, its kinda funny that everybody would buy the cards for the power instead of for collecting. Guess its not so uncommon, even if you do like the pretty shiny Karona. Now to see what 8th cards will look like. But I sure hope that they reprint Counterspell and Corrupt, even just for the artwork...

M

Mikeymike

Originally posted by Nightstalkers
Does anyone collect the cards for the artwork anymore? I mean, its kinda funny that everybody would buy the cards for the power instead of for collecting. Guess its not so uncommon, even if you do like the pretty shiny Karona. Now to see what 8th cards will look like. But I sure hope that they reprint Counterspell and Corrupt, even just for the artwork...
I've got a binder at home with a bunch of my favorite pieces of artwork - I'm a big Magic artwork buff (Kev Walker, D. Alexander Gregory, and Chirs Moeller are my favs)

M

Mikeymike

I got it from MTGNews, and a lot of people are speculating it to be fake.

Man I hope it's fake.

Attachments

N

Nightstalkers

Is that a 3D image? It's either fake or WotC is going to be sorry that they didn't let someone paint a new picture for it...

)Strike()Strike()Strike()Strike(

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm willing to bet it's fake... all of that information can be gotten from the 8th annoucement, so it wouldn't take much to hokey around with the art to produce it...

O

orgg

It's fake.

A member of misetings named Yawgatog mocked that up when 8th came out.

Actually, MiseTings jokes have infiltrated MTGnews's rumor mill... Scourge will be "land set" was one that got them REALLY stirred up at one point.

N

Nightstalkers

As long as the goofs are as easy to spot as this one with the 3D image, its fine with me.

We all need a little laugh every once in a while anyways. :D