7th edition rumor...

F

Fire Slinger

cool. My life is now complete again. I've heard rumors that Serra Angel will be in 7th to.

N

Neil Rigby

Ensnaring Bridge : Maybe
Serra Angel : Naaah
Cursed Scroll : Possibly, according to the artist when chatting to Gizmo

Discuss :)

Z

Zadok001

Ensnaring Bridge will reopen some control strategies I've always liked. I look forward to its return. Cursed Scroll, well, I look forward to that too, but it'll be depressing to have to find four of the things...

M

Mr_Pestilence

I just don't believe they will reprint Cursed Scroll, for the same reason they won't reprint Masticore - it'll be in every freakin' deck!

Don't get me wrong, I love the Scroll, but it's really too good for Standard.

Ensnaring Bridge and Serra Angel would be nice, though.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Ensnaring Bridge, probably back. Not great enough to always play main deck. More of a sideboard. Serra Angel, I don't think so, unless they change it from uncommon to rare. Here are some of my predictions.

Tradewind rider: When it left, Temporal adept took it's place. Temporal Adept left, now Tradewind should take it's place.

Mox Diamond: Not Great, but good enough to be tournamently.

Shard Phoenix: I hope it's back, I hope it's back. I hope.........

Pandemonium: Probably not. Too many Pande-Burst decks will amerge.

Cataclysm: Nice card

Paladin En-Vec: GREAT card.

Mogg Maniac: My favorite goblin

Lotus Petal: No.

Furnace of Rath: Please, please, please, please

Any En-Kor: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.(My favortie combo: Furnace, En-Kor, Mogg Maniac=infinite damage)

Meditate: Maybe

Time Warp: Possibly

Shadow Creatures: Family fun for everyone

New Rules: NO GOD!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Ransac, cpa trash man

A

Apollo

First, I don't see a problem with Ensaring Bridge in Standard. It's hard enough to get an empty hand without any good cheap cards. With a spell-shaper, it could be decent, cause you could make sure you kept 0 cards all the time, but it's still not all that great (lots of Disenchants, and no great kill method--unless Scroll does come back).

Second, Ransac, there won't be shadow guys in 7th; no block mechanics are reprinted.

L

Landkiller

I'm glad that the Ensnaring Bridge will be reprinted. Now, there will be a target for Artifact Mutation. :)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I knew that. Just wishful thinking. But, I think my comments for the others are bang on, don't you think?

Ransac, cpa trash man

L

Landkiller

Oh, if they EVEN make new rules...

<prepares the evil moonbase>

C

Cateran Emperor

Landkiller, stroke of the obvious here

Artifact Mutation target = Chimeric Idol

I plan to play Shivan Oasis/Karp Forest in my red decks just so I can use it... :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
let's not get carried away with the Scroll here. As I said before in another thread, are current decks really built for Scrolls? Can you just substitute them in and expect them to have the same effectiveness, now that the environment has slowed down? I'm tending to think that the Scrolls will not be that dominant as they were during Rath.

M

Mundungu

I have to disagree with you Spidey.

It is true that it takes more rounds to empty your hand nowadays compared to the tempest cycle times.

However 2 colorless damage is more important today than then. It will not be used as beatdown but for board control, to get rid of all these pesky rebels, birds, elves and other creatures.

I think almost every deck will run them, as opposed to the tempest days where it was limited to "sligh" type decks.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If you don't empty your hand, then it's not a SURE 2 colorless damage. Isn't that why it was run? Because you could empty your hand and thus have a sure way of dealing 2 damage.

The chance factor increases. Whether or not that justifies putting them in remains to be seen.

L

Landkiller

And having multiples of cards in hand makes Lobotomy a happy card!

M

Mundungu

first turn swamp, unmask -pitch a card, cursed scroll (3 cards left in hand).
Second turn Island, DR, random creature or board control spell.

Third turn, land or random spell, active scroll calling Vicious hunger.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Um, looks good. I guess you'd have to play that starting hand/scenario versus the current decks out there, to see how they'd react and can handle it.

Z

Zadok001

Spidey: Cursed Scroll wouldn't be that hot in the Type 2 decks we see right now. It would be ok in Fires, but outside of that, only mediocre, and it would _stink_ in Rebels. :)

HOWEVER!

People are looking at this situation the wrong way. If Scroll is reprinted, FORGET the decks we're playing now. People will play mono-color, with a ton of 1 and 2 drops. Think about it. Just because current decks have expensive cards doesn't mean that ALL decks have expensive cards - entire decks will be built for the sole purpose of taking advantage of Cursed Scroll, and that would be bad.

Furthermore, I'd like to point out that WotC has never reprinted a card that was banned in any format. And Scroll was banned in Rath Block Constructed.

A

Apollo

Zadok was dead on, there. I'd just like to add something to that:

It does take you longer to empty your hand. But it also takes them longer for them to kill you, so you have the extra time to take control. In the old days of Scroll, you had to empty your hand 3rd turn or you'd die. Now, you only have to empty it by the fifth or sixth turn, most of the time.

P

Purple_jester

It's not that difficult to buld a deck that will work with the Scroll. I can build a deck consisting only of commons and uncommons that can empty its hand in 3-4 turns. Whimsical's Cheapguy Red deck can do that, too.

What happens if we put 4 each of the Scroll and Ensnaring Bridge in our decks?

The current Type 2 is slow because that's the speed that the current mix of cards best support. Even the Universal Rare of the format - Rishadan Port - is a card meant to slow down the pace. I just don't see why R&D would include a card in the basic set(Scroll) that would do the opposite of what they intended, that is, it would induce decks to speed up.

Besides, as Zadok pointed out, Scroll was banned in Rath Cycle Constructed format.