Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't play.

• I want to play.

• Total voters
D

Dune Echo

Coalition Victory is a possibility, but don't count on it. You can win with Cromat or Atogatog or Sliver Queen in play with 3 different dual lands, but don't count on it. But if you have Cromat or Sliver Queen in play, you should already be winning for the most part and Coalition Victory is just an unneccessary step. You'd really prefer to have Dismiss or Forbid or even Arcane Denial in your hand at that point.

CHA1N5 plays Multani, Maro-Sorcerer, and he hasn't lost yet with it out.

If you have a fatty like Cromat or Sliver Queen out, you really don't need to have Coalition Victory for a win.

Last Stand is just bad really. I wanted to try this, but it was pointed out it's not a game swinger and at WUBRG, whatever you're playing had better win you the game.

Z

Zadok001

They... BANNED... Phyrexian Portal? BANNED?

My God. Is it really that bad? I collect the things. I always thought that if I ever started playing Five, I'd have a viable use for four of 'em, at least. Banned? That's a bit depressing...

D

Dune Echo

Actually Zadok, some of us want to see that unbanned. Feel free to join the 5-Color Mailing List, Zadok and express your opinion.

We could use that kind of support.

M

Mundungu

Well I have built my first five today but as to know if it will be good ....

Actually, reaching the 250 cards limit is quite easy ...

Lemme see, I am aure my buiokd is sub optimal but I'll be working on it.

It is mostly blue green white beatdown esp in blue.
Red and Black are more control orientated ...
No clue if my land count is correct .

I guess I'll have to play to see if it works.

now the big problem ... finding players ...

R

rkoelsch

I have a bunch of cards I hardly use anymore so this looks like a good format to use them. But I have a few general questions.
I am thinking of concentrating on u/w/g and taking the minimum b/r(just the way I am and most of my cards are these.) I want to make a flying deck along the lines of Lotus Mox. I don't any duals and I am unlikely to trade for them since this would be the only format I would use them in. I do have the mirage fetch lands would they still be helpful to fetch basics or no?

K

krichaiushii

First off, I've never played 5 Color, but the recent posts here have my creative juices a-flowing, so...

Is Purify a consideration in 5 Color decks? Given the prolific amount of manachanging artifacts and generally useful enchantments, I would think it would see play, at least as something to tutor for.

Also, what about Wildfire Emissary? While its pumpability is nice, I would think that its 3R cc, protection from white (STP), and being a 2/4 (can't die to Lightning Bolt/Incinerate without assistance) would make it an emminently splashable creature.

As far as strategies go, what about land destruction? Of the selectively global sort - Ruination, Price of Power, Flashfires, etc. I would think that a R/G/W version supported with B/U could do well, via Sunglasses of Urza, all the elves, and both red and white's proclivity towards mass destruction. Victory could be achieved through creature beatdown, perhaps with support from Ankhs of Mishra and LimDul's Hex.

Another idea deals with all the annoying enchantments/creatures/artifacts that deal damage during upkeeps. While it may not be a viable primary strategy, I am thinking it might work as a backup plan. Just watch out for the above-mentioned Purify, among other cards, perhaps.

The biggest drawback to these two strategies is that many of the 5 color decks I've seen (I poked around a bit on the 5color site - not the banned/restricted listings, though) have a large blue component. Mostly for flyers and search, but also for counterspells.

Speaking of Counterspells, what about REB and BEB, or are these (and other) color hosers considered poor taste to maindeck?

Feel free to move this to a more appropriate forum, if necessary.

Thanks!

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I just posted a 5-color deck in the decks forum.

I hope no one ever uses it though... :p

D

Dune Echo

Originally posted by rkoelsch
I have a bunch of cards I hardly use anymore so this looks like a good format to use them.
This is most certainly the format for it. :) I know that's what I do with mine!

Originally posted by rkoelsch
I am thinking of concentrating on u/w/g and taking the minimum b/r (just the way I am and most of my cards are these.) I want to make a flying deck along the lines of Lotus Mox. I don't any duals and I am unlikely to trade for them since this would be the only format I would use them in. I do have the mirage fetch lands would they still be helpful to fetch basics or no?
In your case, other than deck thinning, they are probably worse than Invasion tap duals. I would get a set of those if possible (much cheaper than regular dual lands) and focus on Harrow, Land Grant, Rampant Growth, and Yavimaya Granger as part of your green. Avenging Druid would also be a great addition to your deck, especially if you can Pack Hunt him. :)

Originally posted by krichaiushii
Is Purify a consideration in 5 Color decks? Given the prolific amount of manachanging artifacts and generally useful enchantments, I would think it would see play, at least as something to tutor for.
One would think... Unfortunately, I'd never played with it, and all too often, I'd rather keep the artifacts and enchantments I already do have in play instead of destroying them. In general, the 3WW casting cost is just difficult to pay as well. A combo or control deck will end up relying on a lot of enchantments and artifacts to win. Beatdown decks use a heavy amount of creatures and this is just too expensive and outside the realm of beatdown's main colors.

Also, what about Wildfire Emissary? While its pumpability is nice, I would think that its 3R cc, protection from white (STP), and being a 2/4 (can't die to Lightning Bolt/Incinerate without assistance) would make it an emminently splashable creature.
I did note him in your deck... Depends on 1) being able to pay at least 2RR (not easy) each turn to make him a 4/4 creature, otherwise Blastoderm still outshines this guy because Terminate can still get him; and 2) do you have anything else that has better untargettability? Don't get me wrong, he's a 2/4 Pro White that you will most likely be able to make 3/4 beatstick most turns. However, Wildfire Emissary is mostly only immune to Swords to Plowshares and Vindicate. A good control player will have enough to Masticore/Wrath of God/Rout/Pernicious Deed him instead.

Speaking of Counterspells, what about REB and BEB, or are these (and other) color hosers considered poor taste to maindeck?
There is nothing considered bad taste in 5-Color except white-bordered Jewelled Birds (I am not sure why!). Feel free to be as devious and evil as you so wish. The "blast" cards are sworn by for some players.

S

shadow_acid

has anyone ever put out a Cromat-Spirit of Resistance combo?
it usually shuts down my opponents.

T

train

Can't say that I have - but he's blue so it's already broken!...

N

Notepad

I'd play it on MTGO, but everyone's decks seem to all be the same thing:

G/W based with tons of enchantments and land fetching, then once that first wave of stuff is finished, in comes the second wave: Abusive psycho cards that are normally cost-restrictive for normal games.

It would be fun if I had access to better cards. I'm working little by little on a sliver 5c deck.

S

shadow_acid

My friend has a five color sliver deck. . .it rules major arse.
It has the Sliver Queen-Heartstone-Ashnod's Altar combo.
It will have all dual lands in it in the future. . .It is all mostly old school slivers and a few of the new, beyond broken slivers.

S

shadow_acid

With his deck, you won't destroy the artifacts fast enough unless you've got instants, it all seems to happen so fast. I just hope he doesn't have heart sliver out. I usually try to kill the queen first with a well timed. . .oh say purge or slay. . .whatever:rolleyes:
There's always a way around everything.