3 Blocks in Standard!!!...

T

train

Starting with the Mirrodin set, Magic sets will be legal for Constructed on the 20th of the month in which they are released. For example, Mirrodin releases in early October and will be legal for Constructed play on October 20th. The Darksteel expansion will be legal in Constructed on February 20th, 2004. - Jeff Donais, Sideboard Online
As stated - This is major when it comes to sanctioned tourneys, as it allows for 3 blocks to be in play at one time!!!...

So Odyssey, Onslaught, and Mirrodin will all be legal - until the 1st of November - when Odyssey rotates out!!!

Now that's some interesting f'shizzle!!!...:eek: :D :cool:

N

Nightstalkers

Darksteel?

what the heck is that? Is D&D overflowing .\\:TG?

T

train

No... They've just been brainwashed by Hasbro, and their creative skeelz are a bit on the short end nowadays...:p

N

Nightstalkers

still sounds like D&D is dipping its oar in the water.... :rolleyes:

Z

Zero T Katama

One would think that they would change the rotation as well, so that Odyssey rotates out when Mirrodin rotates in at the new date.

E

EricBess

I'd have to check, train, but I think that the policy is that "block X" rotates out at the same time "block Z" rotates in, not based on the first of the month like the rotate in is.

T

train

That could be right...

I just remember all of it being set in "dates..." and they made no mention of the changing of the rotate in date...

of course - if it is as Eric says, then X rotates out when Y rotates in...:rolleyes:

Well... Here's to hoping!...;) :cool:

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Nightstalkers
still sounds like D&D is dipping its oar in the water.... :rolleyes:
I don't even want to think about D&D right now....

...my DM has finally gotten all the primary source books for 3rd Edition (along w/ many third party products) and they're about to release version 3.5 which means MORE NEW SOURCEBOOKS that everyone will have to buy featuring more rule changes that no one will ever quite fully understand!

-Ferret

"I love Hasbro..."

R

Reverend Love

[Sarcasm]

More Blocks in Standard...YES! That's fantastic! Do any of you have ANY clue as to what kind of mind boggling effects this is going to have! That means we'll see Tog tweaked...again. Sligh tweaked...again...U/G Madness tweaked...again. MBC tweaked...again. Because heaven forbid we play with something of our OWN design.

[/Sarcasm]

N

Nightstalkers

RL: yay! not.

Ferret: they should have some service to email them to ya...

Thal: yea, whoohoo! 10 day break!

T

train

Here are the relevant rules according to the 02/03 DCI M:TG Floor Rules(03/04 Floor rules have not been released):

104. New Releases
The following card sets are scheduled to release during the 2002–2003 tournament season: Onslaught™, Legions™, and the second small expansion of the Onslaught block.

They become legal in Constructed on the following days:
· Onslaught November 1, 2002
· Legions March 1, 2003
· Second small expansion
of Onslaught block July 1, 2003

These dates are subject to change. Any changes will be announced via an official DCI announcement that can be found at thedci.com.

New card sets are allowed in Limited play as soon as they’re released, including before their public releases in the case of Prerelease tournaments. For updates, please check thedci.com.

125. Standard-Format Deck Construction

The following card sets are permitted in Standard tournaments:
· Seventh Edition™
· Invasion™ (until October 31, 2002)
· Planeshift™ (until October 31, 2002)
· Apocalypse™ (until October 31, 2002)
· Odyssey™
· Torment™
· Judgment ™
· Onslaught (effective November 1, 2002)
· Legions (effective March 1, 2003)
· Second small expansion in Onslaught block (effective July 1, 2003)

Card sets rotate into the Standard environment on the specific dates noted in section 104. Card sets rotate out of Standard, however, in blocks. A given large expansion and its two small expansions—essentially a year of Magic expansions—enter Standard play as a new block when the large expansion rotates into the environment.

Example: The Invasion block rotated into the Standard environment when the Invasion set became legal for play. The Planeshift and Apocalypse sets are Invasion block expansions and are legal in Standard. The Invasion, Planeshift, and Apocalypse sets will rotate out of Standard together when the next large expansion after Odyssey (Onslaught) enters play on November 1, 2002 (two years after the Invasion set was introduced to the environment).

There are no cards currently banned in Standard.

Unless the DCI has made another announcement elsewhere, the Odyssey block rotates out 2 years after it is introduced into the environment... Though I wouldn't be surprised if they cut it short... I jus thope they leave it in for the miniscule 10 days... ;) :cool:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think they're going to make another announcement if they haven't already and the dates will change to match the 20th of the month. So I think only 2 blocks will be legal at any given time.

So why'd they change it to the 20th anyway?

T

train

The 2 blocks legal at a time is what we're used to - but wouldn't it be neat to have 3?!...;) :D

As for the changing of it - I think it is to make the sets useable sooner...

I know I got tired of waiting to use the NEW, BIGGER, and BETTER cards...:rolleyes: ;) :D

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

...if the third early block is Odyssey. Invasion, or MM, or Onslaught on the other end, would be better for this than Odyssey.

But there are powerful decks based on cards from Onslaught and it would just be stupid if they won tournaments while people are supposed to be exploring new cards.

And if Mirrodin helps blue in some constructive way...

T

train

But Mirrodin won't be helping Blue...

"Isn't that right WOTC?!!!...";) :D :cool:

R

Reverend Love

...quite yer moan'n! Why I remember back in the day when green was complete oink! White was the only color viable to be played solo and people still played ante! Then the great Depression known as Homelands struck and ALL colors sucked oink.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's funny, 'cause one of the more worthy cards from Homelands was Autumn Willow... ;)

I'm not saying that she helped out all the colors overall (although she was in the world champion or semi-champion deck that year), but she was green which was the first color you mentioned :)

T

train

Willow-Geddon...

It just doesn't get any better...

"Unless they swamp, rit, diabolic edict...":rolleyes: :p