UW Flicker Force

T

Terentius

I agree it's counter-intuitive, but I think it's because the situation for Aethermage's Touch is rare, possibly unique. The effect of AmT adds an ability to a creature in play. When abilities refer to things in play, they use the words like "creature" or "permanent", or pronouns like "it". The card reads "creature" ("it" doesn't fit), but the most accurate language for AmT would be return this "card" or "permanent" to its owners hand, but "permanent" is somewhat ambiguous/misleading, and the word "card" is not used for things in play. Either that, or use a delayed trigger instead, though I'm not sure if this would interfere with flicker or other effects.

EDIT: Wait a minute... you guys are saying AmT is a delayed trigger. It is not; it gives a creature an additional triggered ability, akin to something like Echo. A card like Turn to Mist or Nemesis Trap would be a delayed trigger.

T

Terentius

Yeah I edited that again sorry. Anyway, I don't think that's the same as a delayed trigger. Don't delayed triggers come from cards that are no longer in play?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Take a look at the example given and Aethermage's Touch's text. They are almost exactly the same, and it seems to be the same template. Try not to parse every word of an ability or spell, some things are templated, even if it's not written that way.

Delayed Triggered Ability
An ability created by effects generated when some spells or abilities resolve, or when some replacement
effects are applied, that does something later on rather than at that time. See rule 603.7.

T

Terentius

By the nature of Magic, sometimes we have to parse every word to get the most out of the cards, but I can understand if it's an established condition for an exception.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
You don't parse every word for rulings, you apply a template rule to the card.
Many players try to parse rules and end up misplaying things. It's best to learn the why, not just the how.
That said, I could be totally wrong on this, but I think I'm pretty close.

T

Terentius

Hey OS I see in your article you called Resolute Archangel crap. Do you think it's worth having in this deck?

Any other comments on the deck itself...?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Hey OS I see in your article you called Resolute Archangel crap. Do you think it's worth having in this deck?
I'd be inclined to sometimes call cards crap when that's a deliberate oversimplification. I mean it to be a terse sort of comment, as I don't have time for nuance. In the case of Resolute Archangel, I didn't actually say that the card was crap, though. I said that it costs seven mana. There's a reason that I emphasize that point, but it might not be possible to glean from that review. I had more explanation behind my though process when I reviewed Born of the Gods, but I didn't include that information in later reviews, although I do think that I probably should (I'll have to remember that for next time). Anyway, the gist of it is that when I review a new set, I'm making a cursory survey of possible combo fun times, but I'm also evaluating each individual card with regard to the long term. That's because how good a card is depends on context. The most extreme example of this is exemplified in this comic:

Resolute Archangel is probably great in Limited formats, as they tend to be slow-paced and decks can't get too efficient. Late game often comes down to racing for a win with attack-step damage, and Resolute Archangel is practically a cheat in those circumstances. You know, we've gotten each other low and you're easily going to have enough damage that I can't block to kill me on your next turn, but I drop Resolute Archangel and gain 16 life or whatever. I've seen that very thing happen. It's probably a well-known phenomenon among draft players. But it's not just an issue of Constructed vs. Limited. That is merely the most obvious and widely known stark contrast between environments. There are all sorts of environments: Standard, Modern, Legacy, Vintage, Commander, Two-Headed Giant, Grand Melee, Peasant, Wizard's Tower, and so on. Even the most casual of environments can have incredible variance: picture the difference between a casual playgroup of generally new players who only have newer cards and a casual playgroup of veterans who have been playing Magic since the 90's and have extensive collections. I can't evaluate new cards under the lens of every environment out there because it's impossible, and the market is saturated with people who can do a better job than I can of evaluating them under what have become the most prominent lenses (Booster drafts and competitive Standard). So I aim to do something more general. I evaluate cards with the the long term in mind. In the Born of the Gods review, I called it "relevance beyond Standard" or something. There are plenty of cards that, because they're being placed in a constrained pool of cards that is used for deckbuilding in Magic's most prominent format, will be Standard-relevant and therefore "good" cards. But will they stand the test of time? Resolute Archangel probably won't be Standard-relevant, as it's rather expensive. But it will be a powerhouse in Limited formats and people will want to use it for hijinks in casual gameplay, at least until the novelty wears off. Then time marches on. M15 will stop being used in Limited formats (for the most part), the set will be replaced by a new core set and will rotate out of Standard, the players who used the card will lose interest and move on to other things or will acquire better cards and upgrade their decks. Eventually, while it won't stop existing and people will be free to use it in their casual decks, Resolute Archangel will fade into obscurity. Nothing wrong with that. It happens to most cards.

Well, that's a rough description of the focus I'm using to evaluate new cards. In the more particular case of Resolute Archangel, I emphasized mana cost because it's pretty typical for Wizards of the Coast to come out with a new card that does something powerful, but with such a high mana cost that the card is, on the whole, underwhelming. Resolute Archangel potentially provides some life gain (although it's very strictly capped) and then does nothing else but sit around as a 4/4 flying creature. I deem that to be an unworthy use of seven mana when there are so many ways to do game-breaking things with so much mana.

As for Resolute Archangel in a flicker-focused deck, it depends. That EtB trigger is primarily a defensive ability, and if you can reuse it to keep yourself alive and that actually works, you probably had enough board control to keep yourself alive anyway, and possibly use something else to kill or cripple an opponent. Frost Titan, for example, could have a much greater impact for you. I do think that you could probably get away with cutting Resolute Archangel from your deck, although it really all depends on what you want your deck to do. Oh, and exploiting Resolute Archangel's EtB ability with flicker effects could be hilarious in a deck that can pay life as a cost for activated abilities and such. That's different from what you're running now, but it could be pretty cool. It doesn't need to be Yawgmoth's Bargain, although that would certainly do something...

T

Terentius

Gotcha. I had just opened ResArch from a fat pack, and swapped out Angel of Salvation for it. The life gain has saved me at least once in a multiplayer free-for-all variation called Politics, but I would agree that it's not great unless you're going to abuse its ability in a combo of some kind.

Sorry I made you write so much!

T

Terentius

This deck had dropped in rank both on my deck roster and in my main playgroup. I put it down for a while, waiting for my new bomb Iona to be reprinted at a cheaper price in MM 2015. I've added two copies, and with the other changes its performing pretty well:

-1 Cryptic Annelid - I have this single copy from the Venser Duel Deck. Mad flavor, but at this stage, it's just not pulling its weight.
-1 Lavinia of the Tenth - I moved this card to another deck, but it performed admirably and may come back over here.
-1 Phyrexian Ingester
-1 Angel of Serenity
+2 Iona, Shield of Emeria - ironically I keep testing against artifact decks rendering her less than useful, but she obviously has major shutout capability.

-2 Sundial of the Infinite - Thinking about it now, this card never really fit. It has mild interaction with AmT, but I have enough flicker spells and abilities to cover that.
+3 Mystic Speculation - One of the main problems with the deck was too often casting AmT blind, and not hitting. With the Buyback for 2 more mana, this is much needed repeatable scry at 3 CMC which fits the deck's mana curve nicely.

-2 Plains
-2 Islands
+4 Arcane Lighthouse - Invisible Stalker has taken over my playgroup. This is for him.
+1 Sejiri Refuge

I may drop that land I added and put back a fourth Frost Titan; at 6 CMC for a 6-bear that freezes any permanent (like your LANDS), he is responsible for more of this deck's wins than anything else, plus more creatures reduces the chance AmT doesn't hit.