Technically, how old is the CPA?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
More atricles (I am not the one to do this), More discussions of decks, card interaction, philosophy of decks and play, and more games.

C

Child of Gaea

Ok, I am all for it, I just need to be told how to help. I can talk to anyone but I do not have the connections I once did. Maybe we should move this talk to the suggestions forum.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, I'll check for the thread in Suggestions then, but welcome back and good to hear from you Child and about Baron!

D

Dune Echo

Sounds like it. But the people who cared are long gone... ;)
Not long gone, just moved elsewhere after a near-decade hiatus. I'd always hoped that when I really returned to Magic and got into Commander, the CPA would be *THE* place to discuss it, aside from MTGCommander.net, and NOT MTGSalvation.com. I remember trying to post discussion regarding Commander here a long while back and no one really joined in. Unfortunately, Commander, Legacy, and Draft are where I put my Magic focus these days. I haven't played casual 60-and-4 outside of the preconstructed Duel Decks since 2001.

Currently I'm trying to carry the CPA torch in my writing over at BrainstormBrewery.com.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Not long gone, just moved elsewhere after a near-decade hiatus. I'd always hoped that when I really returned to Magic and got into Commander, the CPA would be *THE* place to discuss it, aside from MTGCommander.net, and NOT MTGSalvation.com.
We've always been too small-time for that. Commander has become huge.

I remember trying to post discussion regarding Commander here a long while back and no one really joined in.
I believe that was when I had my worst school courseload ever and was also in the process of moving. So it's not my fault! :p

Unfortunately, Commander, Legacy, and Draft are where I put my Magic focus these days. I haven't played casual 60-and-4 outside of the preconstructed Duel Decks since 2001.
Pretty similar for me, actually. Well, I haven't drafted in forever and haven't really played in any tournaments lately, but I do pretend to be a Legacy player, with at least one Legacy deck sleeved up and ready to go if I find myself actually playing the format. And I did just build a Commander deck. I also have some of the Duel Decks, which I've pitted against each other. I don't know if anyone here still gets in much of the more traditional casual constructed stuff...

D

Dune Echo

I'm totally on the same page as you with Legacy. I listen to podcasts, discuss it with Legacy-playing friends, have Dredge and Mud sleeved up and ready to go, but never really play Legacy anymore.

I drafted Theros a whopping twice because I really loathed it. I'm hoping Conspiracy re-ignites my drafting interest by being A) great and B) totally appropriate for supplementing my Commander decks. (I'm up to 32 decks now between me and my girlfriend. The vast majority of them are very competitive without being infinite combo engines. Insane, I know.)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Not long gone, just moved elsewhere after a near-decade hiatus. I'd always hoped that when I really returned to Magic and got into Commander, the CPA would be *THE* place to discuss it, aside from MTGCommander.net, and NOT MTGSalvation.com. I remember trying to post discussion regarding Commander here a long while back and no one really joined in. Unfortunately, Commander, Legacy, and Draft are where I put my Magic focus these days. I haven't played casual 60-and-4 outside of the preconstructed Duel Decks since 2001.

Currently I'm trying to carry the CPA torch in my writing over at BrainstormBrewery.com.
Dune! Good to hear from you!

"Long gone" meaning not currently here at the CPA, so that could be they got out of Magic altogether or went somewhere else (I was actually thinking of Zadok001). I guess you fall into the latter :)

Yeah, like I said, most people here don't play those formats, especially not enough to talk about them, so there's not a lot of discussion that goes on. Oversoul keeps the deck help and advice alive, but that's it... that's why it would be good to get new people in here who DO keep up with the various formats and can keep discussions alive, but as discussed, the trick is how to draw them in the first place since the CPA probably seems pretty dead when they get here.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Yeah, it's hard to give deck advice when you don't really play. When someone visits the site asking for ways to improve their red/green aggro deck and the first suggestion to pop in your head is Kird Ape, you know you won't be too much help.

W

WickedBoy6

Hey, there's nothing wrong with Turn-One Stomping Grounds/Kird Ape. Or Turn-one Temple Garden/Loam Lion, which is essentially the same thing.

I always feel odd, as well, since my main expertise is really Ice Age-Urza's Destiny, and my main focus has always been weirdass formats like Rainbow Stairwell or Chaos Magic, over actual deckbuilding.

W

WickedBoy6

Forgive me if I fuck this up, but this is from memory:

56-card deck
2 of each dualland (At the time, they were easier to get ahold of)
Each color - and artifacts - gets 1 card to represent each CMC, up to 6
Example: White
Swords to Plowshares - W
White Knight - WW
Sacred Mesa - 2W
Wrath of God - 2WW
Serra Angel - 3WW
Catastrophe - 4WW

So, essentially, it's a very odd version of Highlander. If I remember correctly, there was no Banned/Restricted, per se, but back when I played, it was still kind of new, so there wasn't much to say no to. I mean, except for the Blue section of the Power Nine.

EDIT: Looked it up, and while I specifically remember seeing it set as 56 for the dual lands, no article says 56. They all say 60, so the land count is 24. They say, though, that's up to the group playing it. They can be 2 of each duals and 4 city of brass, or 4 of each basic and 4 Cities, etc.