New CPA article series

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
sorry, I must have missed checking the article queue. Friday was my normal every-two-Friday-off day...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure if you'll get this in time, but I'm pretty sure I won't be at work tomorrow because of the snow and Friday is iffy and Monday is a holiday, so if you can get your article in now, I can post it before I leave today. Otherwise it will be Friday or Tuesday.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
If the tags that make bullet point lists on this board don't actually work in articles, we'll find out soon enough!

I took a new approach this time. Instead of typing the article in Open Office, copying it into the article submission field, and manually tagging bold and italics, I wrote the article, then when I submitted it just now, I copied and pasted chunks of it into a post here, then turned off the Rich Text Editor, which seemed to preserve my bold and italics and convert them into the appropriate tags, but with the side effect that every single line break would also get wrapped up in bold tags. Cursing the rebellious technology, I solved this by switching back to Rich Text Editor, highlighting and un-bolding everything that wasn't supposed to be bold, and then turning off Rich Text Editor again. For some reason, that worked. I think.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Just a note: The article reply queue got so clogged with spam that Ed had to clean it out and delete everything, so if there was a reply waiting, it needs to be sent again.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Just a note: The article reply queue got so clogged with spam that Ed had to clean it out and delete everything, so if there was a reply waiting, it needs to be sent again.
Now that I think about it, I did have one that never showed up, but I'll have to see if I can remember what it was...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Was it recent, as in the past week? My work changed some of the firewall settings so it wouldn't allow me to reach the article queue approval page anymore because it was so full of spam; that's why I had to ask Ed to clean it out.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I remember now anyway. I'll just remake the comment this weekend. It was a comment I made on the All Spells article, and I think it was more than a week ago.

Edit: In case it seems odd, the reason that I posted a reply to one of my own articles that had no other replies on it was that I noticed a sort of mistake: I was too tired to be thinking clearly when I wrote part of the article, and there were a few lines that didn't actually make sense, so I was correcting my own mistake.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Did you make and submit the comment? Because I just went through and cleaned out the reply queue and didn't see any from you.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, I hadn't, but I finally got around to it. I got an error message, so if the comment didn't go through to you, I'd suggest that the comment system on articles is bugged. Otherwise, maybe it was a one-time thing and unrelated to earlier problems.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
What kind of error message? I'm getting plenty of spam replies, so I don't think submitting a reply is bugged.

As you can probably infer from my Vacation post in Off-Topic, I'll be off for the next two weeks so no articles until I get back :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, I've never seen it before, but the error message said something like, "There are no comments on this article." I guess it wasn't a problem, though.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
So Spiderman has been on vacation. There are not, I believe, any articles I have submitted and that are awaiting publication at this time. However, I do have a sort of backlog for when Spiderman gets back, but I need to figure out how this will work, because it's a single article and it's, I think, too big. I'm not quite done with it yet. It will be done when it's done, which might not be before this Thursday anyway. When it is done, though, it will be very, very long. It's already pretty long. I don't know if the submission form could even handle it. Is there a cap? Even if there isn't, I still say this thing is too long.

I was going to just let Spiderman figure it out, maybe e-mail the whole thing to him and let him cut it up, although that would be a bit lazy of me. But maybe another approach would be better. How long should and article be on this site? I'm still experimenting and I want to get a feel for what I should be shooting for. This applies to serializing the article I've been working on during Spidey's vacation, but it goes for future articles too.

What do people prefer? Actually, I should make this a poll. OK, new thread for that.

But for this one, just letting Spidey know what's up for when he gets back. I'm working on an article that is too long because I messed up when I started it, but I just kept going with the concept out of stubborn whatever. This thing could be over 50,000 words by the time it's done. Once it is done, how would you like to handle it? Post the whole thing at once, but in segments? Spread it out over some number of weeks? Or something else?

turgy22

Nothing Special
Split it up and turn it into a sub-series. 50k is ridiculous. In the year I was writing weekly here, I think my longest article was 5000 words.
IMO, a lot also depends on the content. If you're doing an "essay" type article, you should try to keep your theme precise. I think there's a little more leeway if you're doing a narrative-type piece, where it's a little easier to create an interesting story that's more likely to capture and hold a reader's attention.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spidey, have you checked the article comment queue thingy? I submitted a couple of comments a while ago. Wondering if the system ate them again...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Haven't checked it since I've gotten back, I'm sure it filled up with spam again. Hopefully I can still access it and do a search for your comments.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I see your comments, but the first seems to be a correcting-comment thing. Do you want me to make the actual corrections to the article or just post the comment?

I can delete the second, I think TomB must have used his powers to post his.