Giving a boost to human tribal decks.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
LET'S DO THIS MOST OF MY DECKS ARE TRIBAL.
We did, actually. And I ruined it again? I don't know. I prefer the charitable explanation that none of us were really thinking about whether individual tribes should be banned in a "everything but tribal creatures is restricted" format, so when CanadianBrad expressed that they shouldn't be, we went with that. I lazily ported my Legacy Goblins decklist (I wouldn't actually play Goblins in Legacy, because it involves turning cards sideways too much for me to want to play it in a tournament, but I have an interest in the archetype anyway) into the new format and killed everyone again. I don't know that we would have continued with more tribal games right away if I had played a fairer deck, but I worry that this might have been the case. Especially since I won five in a row and the last two were ridiculous.

Anyway, here's the administration thread. It includes links to the threads for the old tribal games. Like I said in one of my posts there, I already built a lhurgoyfs deck that I'm quite sure is incapable of the insane brokenness the constructs and goblins decks displayed. There's also a post in there where I made a "watch list" of tribes that, other than the original three banned tribes, are probably also broken. Humans are right at the top of my list. Hermit Druid is banned, but they have everything else to work with. Contrary to the title of this thread, which I'd totally forgotten about, humans don't need a boost.

T

Terentius

What about custom restricted/banned lists or deck cost caps?

Also, I'm a snoob, what's this mean?
Oversoul said:
I lazily ported my Legacy Goblins decklist (I wouldn't actually play Goblins in Legacy, because it involves turning cards sideways too much for me to want to play it in a tournament, but I have an interest in the archetype anyway) into the new format and killed everyone again.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
What about custom restricted/banned lists or deck cost caps?
I've seen special budget-enforced formats before, but I don't think anyone has tried getting that sort of thing going here. We're probably too lazy to look up a bunch of card prices anyway.

I'm all for a custom banned list, but that would require a committee to update it, and we don't seem to have sufficient interest in just playing more of those games, let alone in collaborating on designing a custom banned list.

Also, I a snoob, what's this mean?
By turning cards sideways, I meant attacking with creatures. I was referring to the fact that Goblins in Legacy involves tapping lands to play creatures, then tapping those creatures to attack. You know, like a normal person plays the game. I'm totally up for doing that in casual games. I used to play totally "unfair" decks everywhere, but I've mellowed out and decided that I should appreciate all aspects of the game, even if I'm not always playing my pet deck. I met some players new to the game and decided to try to make it so that the decks I'd play would challenge them, but still lose more often than not.

But for the purposes of Legacy tournament play (which I was on long hiatus from for the past few years, but I'm putting decks together now), I don't bother with "fair" decks. I only play combo.

T

Terentius

I've seen special budget-enforced formats before, but I don't think anyone has tried getting that sort of thing going here. We're probably too lazy to look up a bunch of card prices anyway.

I'm all for a custom banned list, but that would require a committee to update it, and we don't seem to have sufficient interest in just playing more of those games, let alone in collaborating on designing a custom banned list.
I'll help in any way I can.

But for the purposes of Legacy tournament play (which I was on long hiatus from for the past few years, but I'm putting decks together now), I don't bother with "fair" decks. I only play combo.
Does combo imply infinite combo?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I've done infinite combos a lot in the past. The decks I'm working on right now for Legacy are Ad Nauseam Tendrils, Oops, All Spells!, and Belcher, none of which go infinite. That wasn't really a factor in my decision to focus on those decks. They're just the ones that appeal to me the most at the moment. I'm also probably building a Dredge deck as a backup, but it's a little too aggro-like for my liking.

Combo in general isn't amazing in Legacy right now. If I wanted to build a deck based around an infinite combo, the best bet would probably be Doomsday, which isn't even a major consideration in the Legacy metagame.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Tsi might be enough to play another Tribal, I'll have to check how many people were actually interested in the last roll-call.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Mostly, since we play for fun and the games take a while, we try not to go turn three I kill you all, with maniacal laughter.
Good card interaction is very very respected and envied (at least by me)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Show and Tell is another source of broken combo decks in Legacy right now, maybe the best one (many players want Show and Tell to be banned). One of the archetypes using it focuses on Dream Hall and Omniscience, with the goal of casting Enter the Infinite in order to set up a kill. And you know what? Enter the Infinite: not actually used for an infinite combo. I guess it's not an aptly named card.

Oh, and since I can't recall if Tsi has ever visited the Games Run section, here's the link: http://www.casualplayers.org/forums/threads/tribal-game-16-headcount.16721/

Just in case anyone does want to get that game started up.