Constructed: Spidey (Gibbering Madness) vs boogiepop (Day of the Thallids)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's 2

Island
Brackwater Elemental
Aquamoeba

Done

boogiepop: 13
Hand: 4
Library: 29
Battlefield:

(T,U) Forest x2
(T,U) Swamp x2

(T) Thallid Germinator (2/2, At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on ~. Remove three spore counters from ~: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield. Sacrifice a Saproling: Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.) * 1 Spore counter

(U) Contagion Clasp (When ~ enters the battlefield, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature. 4, tap: Proliferate.)

Graveyard: Swamp
Exile:
================================================================
Spiderman: 17
Hand: 2
Library: 27
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Swamp x3
(T,T) Island x2

Gibbering Descent (At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player loses a life and discards a card.; Hellbent - Skip my untap step if I have no cards.; Madness 2BB)

(T) Gorgon Recluse (2/4; Whenever ~ blocks or becomes blocked by a nonblack creature, destroy that creature at end of combat.; Madness BB)
(S) Brackwater Elemental (4/4; When ~ attacks or blocks, sac it at the beginning of the next end step.; Unearth 2U)
(S) Aquamoeba (1/3; Discard a card: Switch ~'s power and toughness ueot)

Graveyard: Looter Il-kor, Rootwater Depths
Exile:

B

boogiepop

Untap, Upkeep. Add spore counter, Discard Forest and take 1 damage. Draw
Forest , Savage Thallid.
Done

boogiepop: 12
Library: 28
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Forest x3
(T,T) Swamp x2

(S) Savage Thallid (5/2, At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on ~. Remove three spore counters from ~: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield. Sacrifice a Saproling: Regenerate target Fungus.)

(U) Thallid Germinator (2/2, At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on ~. Remove three spore counters from ~: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield. Sacrifice a Saproling: Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.) * 2 Spore counters

(U) Contagion Clasp (When ~ enters the battlefield, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature. 4, tap: Proliferate.)

Graveyard: Swamp, Forest
Exile:
Spiderman: 17
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Swamp x3
(T,T) Island x2

Gibbering Descent (At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player loses a life and discards a card.; Hellbent - Skip my untap step if I have no cards.; Madness 2BB)

(T) Gorgon Recluse (2/4; Whenever ~ blocks or becomes blocked by a nonblack creature, destroy that creature at end of combat.; Madness BB)
(S) Brackwater Elemental (4/4; When ~ attacks or blocks, sac it at the beginning of the next end step.; Unearth 2U)
(S) Aquamoeba (1/3; Discard a card: Switch ~'s power and toughness ueot)

Graveyard: Looter Il-kor, Rootwater Depths
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep - lose a life and discard Island, Draw

Attack with the Gorgon
Responses/blocks/take it?

boogiepop: 12
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Forest x3
(T,T) Swamp x2

(S) Savage Thallid (5/2, At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on ~. Remove three spore counters from ~: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield. Sacrifice a Saproling: Regenerate target Fungus.)

(U) Thallid Germinator (2/2, At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on ~. Remove three spore counters from ~: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield. Sacrifice a Saproling: Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.) * 2 Spore counters

Exile:
Spiderman: 16
Library: 26
Battlefield:

(U,U,U) Swamp x3
(U,U) Island x2

(U) Brackwater Elemental (4/4; When ~ attacks or blocks, sac it at the beginning of the next end step.; Unearth 2U)
(U) Aquamoeba (1/3; Discard a card: Switch ~'s power and toughness ueot)

Graveyard: Looter Il-kor, Rootwater Depths, Island
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's 2

Vexing Sphinx

Done
boogiepop: 10
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Forest x3
(T,T) Swamp x2

Exile:
Hand: 1
Battlefield:

(T,U,U) Swamp x3
(T,T) Island x2

(U) Brackwater Elemental (4/4; When ~ attacks or blocks, sac it at the beginning of the next end step.; Unearth 2U)
(S) Vexing Sphinx (4/4; Flying; CU - Discard a card; When ~ dies, draw a card for each age ctr on it)

Exile:

B

boogiepop

Firk ding blast...

Untap, Upkeep (add spores, 1 damage, discard Deathspore Thallid)
Draw
Fallen Ideal on the Savage Thallid.
Done.

boogiepop: 9
Battlefield:

(T,T,U) Forest x3
(T,U) Swamp x2

(S) Savage Thallid (5/2, At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on ~. Remove three spore counters from ~: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield. Sacrifice a Saproling: Regenerate target Fungus.)* 1 Spore counters
~enchanted with Fallen Ideal (Enchant creature, Enchanted creature has flying and "Sacrifice a creature: This creature gets +2/+1 until end of turn." When Fallen Ideal is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, return Fallen Ideal to its owner's hand.)

(U) Thallid Germinator (2/2, At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on ~. Remove three spore counters from ~: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield. Sacrifice a Saproling: Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.) * 3 Spore counters

Graveyard: Swamp, Forest, Deathspore Thallid
Exile:
Battlefield:

(T,U,U) Swamp x3
(T,T) Island x2

(S) Vexing Sphinx (4/4; Flying; CU - Discard a card; When ~ dies, draw a card for each age ctr on it)

Exile:

B

boogiepop

Nope.
I'm a little surprised, though. I thought you'd want the Sphinx to get a counter.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hm. Chalk it up to inexperience with the card and deck. I guess I could have gone to my upkeep, stacked the Descent and then the Sphinx, pay for the Sphinx so all I would do for the Descent would lose a life?

Untap, Skip upkeep, Draw

Attack with the Gorgon
Responses/blocks/take it?

Battlefield:

(T,T,U) Forest x3
(T,U) Swamp x2

(U) Savage Thallid (5/2, At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on ~. Remove three spore counters from ~: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield. Sacrifice a Saproling: Regenerate target Fungus.)* 1 Spore counters
~enchanted with Fallen Ideal (Enchant creature, Enchanted creature has flying and "Sacrifice a creature: This creature gets +2/+1 until end of turn." When Fallen Ideal is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, return Fallen Ideal to its owner's hand.)

(U) Thallid Germinator (2/2, At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on ~. Remove three spore counters from ~: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield. Sacrifice a Saproling: Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.) * 3 Spore counters

Exile:
Library: 25
Battlefield:

(U,U,U) Swamp x3
(U,U) Island x2

(U) Vexing Sphinx (4/4; Flying; CU - Discard a card; When ~ dies, draw a card for each age ctr on it)

Graveyard: Looter Il-kor, Rootwater Depths, Island, Hapless Researcher
Exile:

R

rokapoke

Spidey, you should change the text of Gibbering Descent -- as you wrote it, you would skip your untap step (which is not correct).

B

boogiepop

Shhh! ;)

And yeah Spidey, it has a lot of moving parts. I like thinking through each turn (which is why I became enamored with the VS system for a while.)
You did an amazing job of getting everything out extremely fast; I hardly think the loss of an extra card will hurt, heh.

Anyway, I'm letting the damage go through.

B

boogiepop

Actually, whoa wait, no! I block with the Savage Thallid, use the 3 tokens from the Germinator to make a Spore, and sac it to give the Savage Thallid regen.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks rokapoke, I'll change it.

Yeah, I was extremely lucky :)

Hmm. I thought the Gorgon's stoning effect would kill it despite the regen shield, but I guess since it's removed from combat after regening, we don't get to the end of combat step. Bummer.

I lose the Gorgon.

Looter il-Kor

Done
Battlefield:

(T,T,U) Forest x3
(T,U) Swamp x2

(T) Savage Thallid (5/2, At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on ~. Remove three spore counters from ~: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield. Sacrifice a Saproling: Regenerate target Fungus.)* 1 Spore counters

(U) Thallid Germinator (2/2, At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on ~. Remove three spore counters from ~: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield. Sacrifice a Saproling: Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)

Exile:
Hand: 0
Library: 25
Battlefield:

(T,U,U) Swamp x3
(T,U) Island x2

Gibbering Descent (At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player loses a life and discards a card.; Hellbent - Skip my upkeep step if I have no cards.; Madness 2BB)

(U) Vexing Sphinx (4/4; Flying; CU - Discard a card; When ~ dies, draw a card for each age ctr on it)
(S) Looter il-Vec (1/1; Shadow; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to boogiepop, draw a card then discard a card)

Graveyard: Looter Il-kor, Rootwater Depths, Island, Hapless Researcher, Gorgon Recluse
Exile:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Hmm. I thought the Gorgon's stoning effect would kill it despite the regen shield, but I guess since it's removed from combat after regening, we don't get to the end of combat step. Bummer.
What does bring in combat have to do with the delayed trigger from the Recluse? "Whenever ~ blocks or becomes blocked by a nonblack creature, destroy that creature at end of combat."
Is the create that blocked or became blocked by the recluse still in play at the EOC? It didn't phase out, just regen'd. It's not combat damage that kills it, but the delayed trigger.
Since you announced it, the trigger goes on the stack at the EOC. Responses?

B

boogiepop

Wow, I had never thought that out. So the Savage Thallid dies?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, no, because I thought part of the results of regeneration is removing the creature from combat. So when that happens, do we still move on to the end of combat step?

Mooseman, are you saying as a judge that it doesn't happen that way and we *do* still move to the end of combat step and the Thallid dies?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, here's what I found digging into the Combat Step

506.4. A permanent is removed from combat if it leaves the battlefield, if its controller changes, if an effect specifically removes it from combat, if it's a planeswalker that's being attacked and stops being a planeswalker, or if it's an attacking or blocking creature that regenerates (see rule 701.11) or stops being a creature. A creature that's removed from combat stops being an attacking, blocking, blocked, and/or unblocked creature. A planeswalker that's removed from combat stops being attacked.
I bolded the seemingly important part. So it looks like we do indeed still go to the end of combat step where the Gorgon's ability is put onto the stack and barring any responses, the Thallid is destroyed. What say you, boogiepop?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
My understanding is that the creature does not have to be a blocked or blocking creature to die.
Since it's the Recluse that needs to be blocked or become blocked by a nonblack creature that puts the destroy delay trigger on the stack and it only requires that that creature is still in play. If it phased out, its not the same creature.
But I have been wrong before.