Constructed: Spidey (Gibbering Madness) vs boogiepop (Day of the Thallids)

B

boogiepop

Mooseman's explanation seems quite rational to me.

In which case, can I sac the Germinator to the Fallen Ideal ability, making the Savage 7/3? This would make the Gorgon's combat damage non-lethal and keep the regen shield around until the Gorgon's ability takes effect, correct?

R

rokapoke

That looks right to me, boogiepop -- as long as that takes place before damage happens (remember, they stupidly got rid of stacking damage!).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Mooseman: My only question was what did "remove from combat" mean? If it meant to skip the end of combat step, then the Gorgon's ability misses its trigger window.

Saccing the Germinator works, my play still doesn't change; I play the Looter il-Kor and am done.
boogiepop: 9
Hand: 1
Library: 27
Battlefield:

(T,T,U) Forest x3
(T,U) Swamp x2

(T) Savage Thallid (5/2, At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on ~. Remove three spore counters from ~: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield. Sacrifice a Saproling: Regenerate target Fungus.)* 1 Spore counters
~enchanted with Fallen Ideal (Enchant creature, Enchanted creature has flying and "Sacrifice a creature: This creature gets +2/+1 until end of turn." When Fallen Ideal is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, return Fallen Ideal to its owner's hand.)

(U) Contagion Clasp (When ~ enters the battlefield, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature. 4, tap: Proliferate.)

Graveyard: Swamp, Forest, Deathspore Thallid, Thallid Germinator
Exile:
================================================================
Spiderman: 16
Hand: 0
Library: 25
Battlefield:

(T,U,U) Swamp x3
(T,U) Island x2

Gibbering Descent (At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player loses a life and discards a card.; Hellbent - Skip my upkeep step if I have no cards.; Madness 2BB)

(U) Brackwater Elemental (4/4; When ~ attacks or blocks, sac it at the beginning of the next end step.; Unearth 2U)
(U) Aquamoeba (1/3; Discard a card: Switch ~'s power and toughness ueot)
(U) Vexing Sphinx (4/4; Flying; CU - Discard a card; When ~ dies, draw a card for each age ctr on it)
(S) Looter il-Vec (1/1; Shadow; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to boogiepop, draw a card then discard a card)

Graveyard: Looter Il-kor, Rootwater Depths, Island, Hapless Researcher, Gorgon Recluse
Exile:

B

boogiepop

Untap. Upkeep.
Lose 1 life. Discard Thallid Germinator. Add spore counter.
Draw.
Thallid Shell Dweller.
Done.

boogiepop: 8
Library: 26
Battlefield:

(T,U,U) Forest x3
(T,U) Swamp x2

(U) Savage Thallid (5/2, At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on ~. Remove three spore counters from ~: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield. Sacrifice a Saproling: Regenerate target Fungus.)* 2 Spore counters
~enchanted with Fallen Ideal (Enchant creature, Enchanted creature has flying and "Sacrifice a creature: This creature gets +2/+1 until end of turn." When Fallen Ideal is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, return Fallen Ideal to its owner's hand.)

(S) Thallid Shell-Dweller (0/5, Defender, At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on Thallid Shell-Dweller. Remove three spore counters from Thallid Shell-Dweller: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield.)

(U) Contagion Clasp (When ~ enters the battlefield, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature. 4, tap: Proliferate.)

Graveyard: Swamp, Forest, Deathspore Thallid, Thallid Germinator, Thallid Germinator
Exile:
Battlefield:

(T,U,U) Swamp x3
(T,U) Island x2

Gibbering Descent (At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player loses a life and discards a card.; Hellbent - Skip my upkeep step if I have no cards.; Madness 2BB)

(U) Brackwater Elemental (4/4; When ~ attacks or blocks, sac it at the beginning of the next end step.; Unearth 2U)
(U) Vexing Sphinx (4/4; Flying; CU - Discard a card; When ~ dies, draw a card for each age ctr on it)
(S) Looter il-Vec (1/1; Shadow; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to boogiepop, draw a card then discard a card)

Graveyard: Looter Il-kor, Rootwater Depths, Island, Hapless Researcher, Gorgon Recluse
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, Skip upkeep, draw

Attack with all but the Aquamoeba
Responses/blocks/take it?

boogiepop: 8
Battlefield:

(T,U,U) Forest x3
(T,U) Swamp x2

(U) Savage Thallid (5/2, At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on ~. Remove three spore counters from ~: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield. Sacrifice a Saproling: Regenerate target Fungus.)* 2 Spore counters

(S) Thallid Shell-Dweller (0/5, Defender, At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on Thallid Shell-Dweller. Remove three spore counters from Thallid Shell-Dweller: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield.)

Graveyard: Swamp, Forest, Deathspore Thallid, Thallid Germinator, Thallid Germinator
Exile:
Library: 24
Battlefield:

(U,U,U) Swamp x3
(U,U) Island x2

(T) Brackwater Elemental (4/4; When ~ attacks or blocks, sac it at the beginning of the next end step.; Unearth 2U)
(T) Vexing Sphinx (4/4; Flying; CU - Discard a card; When ~ dies, draw a card for each age ctr on it)
(T) Looter il-Vec (1/1; Shadow; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to boogiepop, draw a card then discard a card)

Exile:

B

boogiepop

I'll block the elemental with the shell-dweller and the sphinx with the savage thallid.
Sac the shell-dweller to regen the savage.

R

rokapoke

The Shell-Dweller is not a Saproling, and therefore cannot be sacrificed to regenerate your Savage Thallid.

B

boogiepop

Whoops!
Well, I'll block the same anyway.

Thanks for the catch.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So I guess damage can resolve since you're out of cards.

Thallid and Sphinx die, Fallen Ideal returns to your hand, you take 1 from the Looter, it's ability triggers, I draw a card, I discard a Swamp.

Island

Done - Elemental is sacced
boogiepop: 7
Battlefield:

(T,U,U) Forest x3
(T,U) Swamp x2

Graveyard: Swamp, Forest, Deathspore Thallid, Thallid Germinator, Thallid Germinator, Savage Thallid
Exile:
Library: 23
Battlefield:

(U,U,U) Swamp x3
(U,U,U) Island x3

(T) Looter il-Vec (1/1; Shadow; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to boogiepop, draw a card then discard a card)

Graveyard: Looter Il-kor, Rootwater Depths, Island, Hapless Researcher, Gorgon Recluse, Vexing Sphinx, Swamp, Brackwater Elemental (Unearth 2U)
Exile:

B

boogiepop

Untap, Upkeep. Discard Fallen Ideal, get 1 dam., add 1 spore counter.
Draw. Swamp.
I'll use the Contagion Clasp to add another spore.
Done

P.S. Gave this il-Kor back his name, as well. ;)

boogiepop: 6
Battlefield:

(T,T,U) Forest x3
(T,T,U) Swamp x3

(U) Thallid Shell-Dweller (0/5, Defender, At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on Thallid Shell-Dweller. Remove three spore counters from Thallid Shell-Dweller: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield.)* 2 Spore counters

(T) Contagion Clasp (When ~ enters the battlefield, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature. 4, tap: Proliferate.)

Graveyard: Swamp, Forest, Deathspore Thallid, Thallid Germinator, Thallid Germinator, Savage Thallid, Fallen Ideal,
Exile:
Library: 23
Battlefield:

(U,U,U) Swamp x3
(U,U,U) Island x3

(T) Looter il-Kor (1/1; Shadow; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to boogiepop, draw a card then discard a card)

Graveyard: Looter Il-kor, Rootwater Depths, Island, Hapless Researcher, Gorgon Recluse, Vexing Sphinx, Swamp, Brackwater Elemental (Unearth 2U)
Exile:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Mooseman: My only question was what did "remove from combat" mean? If it meant to skip the end of combat step, then the Gorgon's ability misses its trigger window.
A creature that's removed from combat stops being an attacking, blocking, blocked, and/or unblocked creature. That's all, it's only that creature that is effected and doesn't effect the combat steps.
I am at the GP phillie and asked several 3rd, 2nd and 1st level judges this question. I may not be able to explain it clearly, but that is how it works.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for double-checking Mooseman. That's what I found was stated in the rules also.

Untap, skip upkeep, Draw

Attack with both
Responses/blocks/take it?
boogiepop: 6
Battlefield:

(T,T,U) Forest x3
(T,T,U) Swamp x3

(U) Thallid Shell-Dweller (0/5, Defender, At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on Thallid Shell-Dweller. Remove three spore counters from Thallid Shell-Dweller: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield.)* 2 Spore counters

(T) Contagion Clasp (When ~ enters the battlefield, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature. 4, tap: Proliferate.)

Graveyard: Swamp, Forest, Deathspore Thallid, Thallid Germinator, Thallid Germinator, Savage Thallid, Fallen Ideal,
Exile:
Library: 22
Battlefield:

(U,U,U) Swamp x3
(U,U,U) Island x3

(T) Aquamoeba (1/3; Discard a card: Switch ~'s power and toughness ueot)
(T) Looter il-Kor (1/1; Shadow; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to boogiepop, draw a card then discard a card)

Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
LOL... discard Ichor Slick to use the Amoeba's ability, but pay BBUU for it's Madness cost to cast it and target the Shell-Dweller

Since you don't have any cards, I'll resolve combat... Shell-Dweller bites the dust and you take 1. I draw and discard Carrionette.

Done

boogiepop: 5
Battlefield:

(T,T,U) Forest x3
(T,T,U) Swamp x3

Graveyard: Swamp, Forest, Deathspore Thallid, Thallid Germinator, Thallid Germinator, Savage Thallid, Fallen Ideal, Thallid Shell-Dweller
Exile:
Library: 21
Battlefield:

(T,T,U) Swamp x3
(T,T,U) Island x3

Graveyard: Looter Il-kor, Rootwater Depths, Island, Hapless Researcher, Gorgon Recluse, Vexing Sphinx, Swamp, Brackwater Elemental (Unearth 2U), Carrionette (2BB ability)
Exile:

B

boogiepop

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo................!

Damn you.
UUD.
Savage Thallid. (not that it's long for this world)
Done.

Edit: Forgot to take a point of damage during upkeep.

boogiepop: 4
Battlefield:

(T,T,U) Forest x3
(T,T,T) Swamp x3

(S) Savage Thallid (5/2, At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on Savage Thallid.

Remove three spore counters from Savage Thallid: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield. Sacrifice a Saproling: Regenerate target Fungus.)

Graveyard: Swamp, Forest, Deathspore Thallid, Thallid Germinator, Thallid Germinator, Savage Thallid, Fallen Ideal, Thallid Shell-Dweller
Exile:
Battlefield:

(T,T,U) Swamp x3
(T,T,U) Island x3

Graveyard: Looter Il-kor, Rootwater Depths, Island, Hapless Researcher, Gorgon Recluse, Vexing Sphinx, Swamp, Brackwater Elemental (Unearth 2U), Carrionette (2BB ability)
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, skip upkeep, Draw

Unearth the Elemental
Attack with all
Responses/blocks/take it? ;)
boogiepop: 4
Battlefield:

(T,T,U) Forest x3
(T,T,T) Swamp x3

(S) Savage Thallid (5/2, At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on Savage Thallid.

Remove three spore counters from Savage Thallid: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield. Sacrifice a Saproling: Regenerate target Fungus.)

Exile:
Battlefield:

(T,U,U) Swamp x3
(T,T,U) Island x3

(T) Brackwater Elemental (4/4; When ~ attacks or blocks, sac it at the beginning of the next end step.; Unearth 2U)
Graveyard: Looter Il-kor, Rootwater Depths, Island, Hapless Researcher, Gorgon Recluse, Vexing Sphinx, Swamp, Carrionette (2BB ability)
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Good game indeed :) Interesting deck.

Do you want to play again with the same decks, switch, or change decks entirely?