Planechase 2012 Card Previews

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't even know this was coming out :)

Mark Rosewater's article - cards Selesya Loft Gardens, Thromok the Insatiable

Mark Gottlieb's article - cards Time Distortion, Spatial Merging, Fractured Powerstone, Lair of the Ashen Idol, new mechanic Phenomenom

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
yeah, apparently it gets its roots from Chaos Magic, which we've played here a couple times in the past... I wouldn't mind trying it out either.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Adam Styborksi's article - cards Silent-Blade Oni, Vela the Night-clad, Takenuma, Gisela -Blade of Goldnight

Gavin Verhey's article - cards Kharahsa Foothills, Reality Shaping, Aretopolis

R

rokapoke

Having only glanced at (not read) these articles, I can definitely say that this planeswalking stuff looks really complicated. I don't get it. At all.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I can't remember the exact details, but at the beginning of each turn, you roll a d20 and check the chart (Apprentice has it, I believe) to see what "random" effect would take place during your turn. The planes in Planechase look to be like the Enchant Worlds available in Chaos Magic (also in Apprentice). I'm sure there's some website that has it too, not sure if we linked to it when first starting the Chaos games.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Enchant World is a deprecated card type from regular Magic. It was changed to "World Enchantment." They haven't printed any since Mirage block and no one misses them. The thing in Chaos Magic, and I also do not remember the details, that Spiderman is thinking of is "EnchantWorldLand." A strange name. There was probably a reason for it, but I either don't know or don't remember what it was.

Bonus points to anyone who actually remembers how the rules work for "Enchant World" cards. And no bonus points for me, because I do not. This is a sure sign that I've gotten rusty on the rules. Penance for this atrocity might take place.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Bonus points to anyone who actually remembers how the rules work for "Enchant World" cards. And no bonus points for me, because I do not. This is a sure sign that I've gotten rusty on the rules. Penance for this atrocity might take place.
Enchant World is just an enchantment that effects all players, or creatures or etc... not just it's controller and their permanents. I believe that the other enchantments were either local (creature, land, etc...) or only used or effects it's controller.

R

rokapoke

Enchant World is just an enchantment that effects all players, or creatures or etc... not just it's controller and their permanents. I believe that the other enchantments were either local (creature, land, etc...) or only used or effects it's controller.
.... and I believe that only one Enchant World could be in play at any time.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Rokapoke is correct. Or for more detail...

704.5m - If two or more permanents have the supertype world, all except the one that has been a permanent with the world supertype on the battlefield for the shortest amount of time are put into their owners' graveyards. In the event of a tie for the shortest amount of time, all are put into their owners' graveyards. This is called the "world rule." [CompRules 2009/07/08]
Most Enchant Worlds (or World Enchantments, if you prefer) are rather dated anyway, but there are a few you might encounter in a real game, such as Forsaken Wastes, Living Plane, Nether Void, The Abyss, and Tombstone Stairwell. Come to think of it, I can't recall a single instance of a game I was in where the "world rule" mattered. For most purposes, these enchantments are just ordinary global enchantments. But it sure would be funny to destroy your opponent's The Abyss by playing Concordant Crossroads or whatever...