WWYT w/a twist?

E

EricBess

My daughter offered a suggestion that I think might be interesting to try. Have any of you ever played Apples to Apples? According to the rules, you "take turns" in that game being the "judge", but we have a house method of playing where whoever wins one round becomes the judge for the next round. That means that the people who aren't doing as well end up with more chances to "catch up" (of course, if they do start catching up, it's a bit harder, but still...).

Anyway, she suggested we do that with WWYT and I thought it might be worth a try. Basically here is how it would work. Say I start and ask for a list. Everyone PMs me their list and we score the round as usually. Whoever gets the most points this round (the 5 points) would then be the person that would come up with the category for the next round and everyone would PM him instead.

If 2 or more people all tie for 5-points, then the person with the most overall points in the game would give the category. If it is still a tie, then the person who last gave the category would select which of them gives the new category (in theory whomever has had fewer opportunities to give the category, but I don't want to have to track that, so we leave it at their discretion).

What do you think? Is anyone interested in trying it this way? rokapoke would probably have to give every other category, but that would give us all a chance to keep up ;)

E

EricBess

BTW - in case it wasn't clear, this basically means that the "winner" of each round would not be participating in the next round. It might ultimately mean it is more beneficial to get 2nd place than to actually win, but I think that's okay. If it turns out to be a problem, we can adjust how much you get for first or second if we ever want to do this way again.

R

rokapoke

rokapoke would probably have to give every other category, but that would give us all a chance to keep up ;)
I think it's more that I'd get to give each category that follows a turgy category...

I'd be up for it. And following the Thursday deadline/Monday posting schedule that turgy followed, there's reasonable time for the category-giver to brainstorm a few topic ideas. Sounds fun.

D

DarthFerret

I am in. And by the way, yes, I have played Apples to Apples quite a few times. Generally speaking, hilarity ensues!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I have played Apples to Apples. I'm not 100% positive how this twist is supposed to work, but whatever. I'll give it a shot.

turgy22

Nothing Special
I've never played Apples to Apples, but I'll participate in this.

Is A2A the kind of game you can play on a message board? The positive comments here have me intrigued.

E

EricBess

I think it would be difficult to play Apples to Apples on a message board. I'm just suggesting that we play What Were You Thinking, but the winner of each round controls the next round.

I think we have enough interest to move forward with this. I'll start.

List 5 memes

And for those of you who don't know what that is, you can probably get the idea from wikipedia or this link on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/show/knowyourmeme?pl=FFDFD4AB75A4BB46

Basically, a meme is something that goes viral on the internet and then either gets copied, replayed, or parodied everywhere.

Answers are due by the weekend.

E

EricBess

Just bumping this. So far, I only have answers from Oversoul and turgy. I hope this question wasn't too obscure and people just aren't sure what to put :(.

E

EricBess

Something to consider for those of you who haven't submitted yet. I realize that this one is fairly obscure, but that also means that there will probably be overall more answers. For example, 4 people have now submitted and I'm not sure that there are any answers that were given by more than 2 people, so even if you just get lucky and hit one of those, you could easily end up in second or third place.

In the end, I think that dispite the obscurity of the question, this one was worth it. I love some of these answers so far...

turgy22

Nothing Special
You know, I actually had this on my list of ideas when I ran the last game. I thought some of my other categories were better (mostly for the reason you're now having about getting responses), but if we had gone another 4 - 5 rounds in that game, I definitely would have used this one. So, I actually spent a bit of time thinking about how one might answer this topic before you posted it.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'll send mine in today, but this is one I really don't know about because I don't watch YouTube or keep track of stuff that goes viral, so I'm gonna have to look this up...

E

EricBess

My guess is that once you start looking over the list, there will be a few that you have heard of and/or seen yourself.

D

DarthFerret

Still trying to ferret out the meaning of meme...sorry...I am too old for that term..and no, the link did not give me a clear and concise definition...

E

EricBess

Okay, so DF decided to take a pass on this round. Sorry - if I do any more rounds later, I will try to make them less esoteric. I only recently discovered what the term "meme" meant, so I thought this might be fun and I think it was worth it. 5 people responded and we got a lot of really good answers. Everyone matched with at least 1 other person (sorry DF - no sympathy points) and only a couple of answers had 3 respondants:

All your base are belong to us (3)
Rickrolling (3)
Chuck Norris (2)
Dancing Baby (2)
LOLCats (2)

Lots of 1-point answers also, some of which I haven't heard of and a few I wish I hadn't just been introduced to:
Over 9,000, Pedobear, 2 Girls 1 Cup, Double Rainbow, Magnets - how do they work?, Playing Dead, My new Haircut, Charlie the Unicorn, Mentos and Coke,
Flying Spaghetti Monster, Ask a Ninja, This is Sparta, Oolong the Pancake Rabbit

So, for points (I'll include myself for ease of copying later):
turgy - 11 (5)
Spiderman - 10 (3)
Oversoul - 9 (2)
rokapoke - 7 (1)
Mooseman - 6
DarthFerret - 5 (no submission)
EricBess - 0 (receiving)

So, the total scores so far:
turgy - 5
Spiderman - 3
Oversoul - 2
rokapoke - 1
Mooseman - 0
DarthFerret - 0
EricBess - 0

Turgy, since you got 5 points this round, looks like you are up next.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Hey Rokapoke, so I herd u get to give the next category after this 1 nd also that u lik mudkips.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That doesn't sound like Oversoul... did someone hack your account?

Way to go for Googling the term and picking the top 5... :)