Zur's Weirding

G

Griffion2000

Does anybody know a good deck using Zur's Weirding?
In case you don't know:
Zur’s Weirding
3U, Enchantment, Classic Sixth Edition Rare
Players play with their hands revealed.
Whenever a player would draw a card, instead reveal it. Any other player may pay 2 life to put that card into its owner’s graveyard. If no one does, that player then draws the card.
I was thinking a life gaining/card drawing deck
What do you think?

Z

Zero

Sounds Blue/White control to me.
I will help later tommorow when I dont have a headache :eek:

D

Duel

maybe with gerrard's and gaea's blessing you could build a good deck out of it....

"Reveal Gaea's blessing, pay two of my own to bury it. Oh, look! My graveyard is back!"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Mark Justice (I think) used it in a winning tourney deck back when it was in Ice Age (95-96). If I have time I'll try to find a deck list (or maybe someone else knows). That might give you ideas on how to adapt it or ways to go.

G

Gizmo

There are 5 ways to abuse Wierding:

1. "My opponent must stop all my cards"
In this situation you have a permanant effect in play that means you get an effect out of every card, even if it`s a basic land.
eg. Spellshapers - Tonic Peddler, Arc Mage, Stronghold Biologist/Machinist, Cursed Scroll

2. "Discard it if you want - I can use my graveyard"
In this situation you have recursive effects that mean you don`t care if they pay 2 life or not.
eg. Hammer Of Bogardan, Nether Spirit, Phyrexian Grimoire

3. "I`m not actually DRAWING the cards"
This is a hard one, only a few effects do this, but if you are 'taking these cards into your hand' then they cannot pay life to stop you.
eg. Fact Or Fiction, Impulse, Scroll Rack

4. "I`ve got lifegain or card-drawing"
Even if your cards aren`t better under a Wierding than your opponent`s cards, simply by drawing more cards you force your opponent to send life faster than you. Alternatively even a moderate lifegain effect is enough to mean you can stop twice as many of your opponent`s cards as he can stop of yours.
eg. Ophidian, Jayemdae Tome, Fountain Of Youth

5. "You`ve got three turns to find a Wrath"
Wierding can also go in an aggressive deck in the same slot as Armageddon or Parallax Tide - youg et an edge on the board, then pay 4-10 life to stop your opponent from recovering before your creatures finish him off.

In any case, it is crucially important that as many cards of yours are going to make your opponent pay 2 life to stop them. They don`t have to be amazing, just so long as they will cost your opponent a card if you play them - eg every removal spell he lets you draw is 2 life you don`t have to spend on one of his creatures. But every Fertile Ground you draw is wasted. You only need a 1/1 in play with a Wierding to grind out a win - the tiniest board advantage is locked into an eventual kill by the Wierding.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Never mind, I think it was the Elkin Bottle that Mark Justice used, not Zur's Weirding.

Although he may have used that too, I just can't find it.

I did find a listing of the decks from the first PT :rolleyes:

:p

K

krichaiushii

Just don't use the Wierding in a multiplayer game, or you lose to your own card! It is fun at the time concept and deckbuilding, but soon destroys any chance of your being able to take advantage of the card.

That being said, I have used Zur's Wierding in a Megrim deck, as Zur's Wierding has that magical word "Discard" written on it.

Also, if used in combination with a Millstone-type deck, it works quite well -- but you have to decide early on if you will let your opponent have only land, or only spells (but no enchantment removal, just to be safe).