Your thoughts on "Lucky Charms"

What should be done with "lucky charms"?

• The new charms in Darksteel should return in 9th Edition!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The classic charms should remain for 9th Edition.

• Remove them from the main set, but put new replacements in expansions like Darksteel.

• Leave the classics in the main set for beginners, but never make any in expansions again.

• Put the Darksteel ones in 9th Edition, but never make any in expansions again.

• Put the Darksteel ones in the 9th Edition Core Game where they belong.

• Put the classic ones in the 9th Edition Core Game where they belong.

• Never print lucky charms again.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
N

Notepad

This is a thread to vote on and discuss what should be done with "lucky charms." Do you think they are powerful enough to keep around? Do you think their usefulness in teaching new players how to value cards should be enough to retain them? Should they just be abolished? Where do you stand on this issue?

For those who haven't seen the term, these cards are the ones that gain you life when certain colored spells are played. Throne of Bone and Iron Star are two of the classics that have been in every main set since Alpha. Recently WotC printed newer versions in Darksteel that look like they the new replacements to be rotated into Ninth Edition.

Many players have condemned these cards for being too weak. WotC has defended the cards, saying they play a useful role in teaching new players how to gauge power levels.

Ninth Edition will be the next Core Set to come out, sometime in 2005. With it will come the Core Game, which is a "newbie box" for beginners used to teach them the rules.

This vote will last for nine days from posting time.

Have fun discussing!

Edit: Added the Core Game/Set text to this post.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, almost too many choices.

I think they should go in the Core Set and no more variations printed.

N

Notepad

I know, a lot of options, but I wanted it to be fair and balanced.

I understand the WotC opinion of the cards helping beginners, so I made up the "Stick them in the Core Game newbie box" option that so far I have not seen.

My opinion: If they are to teach new players, then why not stuff them in a box meant specifically for new players? This way experienced players who know they are weak will not have to open them. Oh, and I think the Darksteel ones are far superior to the classic ones.

D

DeathMaster666

Never print them again. Sure, newbs like them, but they are wasting good uncommon slots. At least make them commons again. I'd rather see Skullclamp reprinted than a bloody lucky charm.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Like somebody said in one of the answers to orgg's article about these, it's probably because of their policy of Basic Edition cards must be reprints.

That and probably they might be good in Limited Construction, who knows.

M

MagicMan

I don't like those charms. Have never used them and never will...Never print them again WotC...You hear me?? I said NEVER!!!

I wonder what they were drinking when they made Dripping Dead awhile back?? I gotta get me some of that.

N

Notepad

Wow, I didn't think they would get 3 votes in total opposition so quickly. :eek:

I hate them, but I understand WotC's point of view for trying to help newbies. The best place for them would really be in the Core Game starter box, following that logic.

Then again, I guess the Core Game already has too much chaff in it anyway, like Sea Eagle, Eager Cadet, and Trained Orgg. Then again, getting a set of Lucky Charms would be more beneficial to a new player than opening a Trained Orgg and a premium foil Elvish Champion...

T

train

That's because the total opposition probably believe newbies don't need something this simple for learning...

I have to disagree for learning purposes - this details a lot of things...

the stack, triggered abilities, life management, characteristics of spells, etc...

just the stack, characteristics of spells, and triggers are enough to keep these around... those are all intricate rules-based aspects of the game...;)

M

Mr_Pestilence

I kinda like'm - I guess that makes me a scrub. They are great in mirror match ups, especially red on red.

R

Reverend Love

Replace the current core set's charms with Darksteel's superior versions. Then knock them down into the common status, so that way the n00bs WOTC wants to help can aquire whole heaps of them if they so desire.

...Regardless I hate that my beloved uncommons (favorite amongst the rarities) are tainted by such poopie cards...if they were commons then well, I might not be so pissed.

T

train

I think WoTC did this intentionally to limit the "flood" of crap that would hit the shelves in the terms of charms...

They may or may not change the rarity - as is their thing-to-do these days...

We'll see...;) :cool:

N

Notepad

According to Mark Rosewater's latest article, they are listening to player feedback that people would rather see chaff commons than chaff rares. This might have an effect on chaff uncommons, perhaps...

Edit: Snipped end.

I

Istanbul

Most of you already know how I feel, but for both of you that don't, here it is...

Do the lucky charms serve a valuable purpose as learning tools? Yes.
Are the new ones better than the old ones? A little.
Should the new ones replace the old ones in 9th Edition? Sure.
Should they print new lucky charms in Expert-level expansions sets? Absolutely not.

I realize there's a "cards have to exist in other sets before moving to the basic set" rule, but...WotC...it's YOUR game, guys. You can change the rules up a bit if you want to. Sheesh.

T

train

they could - but then they have to create more cards - and they make sure they limit themselves on that ideal...

H

HOUTS

I have stated this point before:

WOTC makes these "weaker" cards because there is no way to conceivably print cards that are all powerful. What would be the point of an environment where every card could over turn another?

You'd open up a pack and every card is 'Broken'. Wow, what a fun environment.

Survey says: "No!"
No. #1 answer...

Who cares if the charms are good, or hold their own? I don't. I realize they have to make money...and printing ****ty cards takes up some space in sets, and enables them to keep fresh ideas rolling without running out.

Personally, I think they are running out of ideas, or concepts, and I wouldn't care if the only printed two new sets a year.
That way I wouldn't have to worry about buying something new every few months, and finding out it rotates, or is banned, in Type 2 or Extended.

Also-who actually cares about the charms?
Were you pissed when you opened up your pack and got one?
Hardly.
I mean, they, as I have referred to it before, are manure. The filler for the pile.

Keep in mind people that WOTC also likes the limited format a lot, and those '****ty' cards also impact that format.

*Yawn*

My vote is for:
1. I don't care
2. Noone cares

Shawn Houtsinger
The one and only,
HOUTS

M

Mr_Pestilence

Well, since we're dreaming, 2 expansions per year would be better.

And, since you mentioned the core set...

Let's face it, the core set is next to useless for the tournament constructed scene. There are maybe half-a-dozen tournament level cards in 8th (Birds, Wrath, Duress, Hammer, and...well, probably a couple more), but since I already have 4 each of these, why should I buy 8th?

If you want newbies to buy this crap, why not at least give them some cards that will give them a chance to compete. If you want us lifers to buy the stuff, reprint Moxen, etc. Yeah, yeah, I know about the reserved list. I also know I have no reason to buy the core set.

Geez, at least print the dual lands again. I know WotC doesn't want to print land that is "better than a basic land", but why not? With the 4-per-deck rule, I don't see the problem. I mean, creatures w/ abilities are better than vanilla creatures, but WotC prints plenty of those. Just print the hosers like Wasteland and Price of Progress to balance things out.

There, I thing I've strayed from the original topic sufficiently.

M

Mikeymike

I've been fooling around with the red one in MP, it's actually not half bad. My opponents have found red life gain to be very annoying, as it buys me time to find the aggro pieces I'm missing.

T

train

Red - Life gain...

"What?!..."

Mirrodin has broken the color wheel - yippe!!!...

O

orgg

As I will say on April 5th, the artifacts that are included for the beginners to use should not be the same-- Artifacts should have effects that make the beginners go 'COOL!' when they see it, then, after time passes, show how 'cool' the effect really is. An ideal artifact for the Core Game is Spellbook. It's 'free' and has an effect that breaks one of the basic rules of the game. The other point of artifacts is to shore up weaknesses of the colors. This will have to be used in the Core Game in all probability.

The Charms I belive should firmly stay in the Basic Set in some form or another-- whether a 'crap uncommon' or a '15th pick,' It's WOTC's choice. I'd rather get them as a fifteenth pick, as I still think they're 'cool...'
...but I also think that Trained Orgg is cool simply because it's an Orgg... More on that on April Fifth.