You Make the Card

C

Captain Caveman

Did everyone submit idea's for you make the card over at magicthegathering.com?

Here are the idea's I submitted.

M: stands for mana cost. (That's how they said to do it.)

M: If ~this~ is the target of a spell or ability controlled by an opponent you may sacrifice it. If you do, draw an amount of cards equal to that spell of abilities converted mana cost.

When this comes into play you may pay M. If you do, search each players library for all copies of this creature card and put it into play under your control. Then shuffle each players library.

The ~this~ comes into play sacrifice a forest. Then destroy target permanent with a converted mana cost no greater than the number of forest you control.

(My name for this card would be Pine Elemental)

I'd love to see what all of you came up with.
Caveman

J

John`O

Three I sent in...

During your upkeep each player chooses one of their creatures, those creatures become 0/3 walls
with no text box until <this creature> leaves play.

During your upkeep put a forest into play from your hand or sacrifice <this creature>.

During your upkeep each opponent may return target card in their graveyard to their hand.

Three that didn't make it...

Creature cards cost all players an additional G to play

M : Target creature gets +9/+9 until end of turn, any player may play this ability
(The value of M I was thinking of was UWGRB)

During your upkeep a forest you control becomes controlled by target opponent,
or sacrifice <this creature>

John

G

Gizmo

I seem to remember there being some good ideas back in the Casualities of War thread yeeeears ago.

Heres some from there which I dug up... (OMG, I nearly typed 'digged'! :()

Search target player's graveyard for a creature card and put it into play under your control. Reveal that player's hand, library, and graveyard and remove all copies of that card from the
game.

<Do something>. You may search your library for another copy of <this card> and put it into your hand, if you do so shuffle your library.

When <this card> comes into play/resolves you may put a copy of <this card> into play/on the stack from your hand without paying it`s casting cost.

Players cannot target themselves or permanents they control.

Whenever any player plays a spell all other players may choose to draw a card.

Search your library for a card and put that card into your hand. At end of turn, you lose the game.

It was interesting to be reading the list and suddenly come across real cards that were made AFTER we designed thay set. Like Devastating Dreams (Pyroclastic Flow), Prohibit (Gunslinger Counter), Temporal Spring (Deja Vu), Mystic Snake (Bhodivan Hunter), and Blurred Mongoose (Camoflaged Knight, although I made it cost 3 for a 2/2 and CT wanted it to cost 4)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't even know there was something like this going on (not that I frequent magicthegathering regularly, but usually someone mentions it when it's happening).

Was it just submit a card you'd like to see or something? How come you couldn't specify what M was?

C

Captain Caveman

Spiderman,

"You make the card." is chance for "us"(players)to make a card.
It developes in steps. So far the card in question is a Green
Creature. The current step is the "mech" This part ends real
soon or may have already ended. I can't remember the cut off
date.

"M" will be determined after the mech is figured out, I think.

Caveman

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's just that your first mech and one that Gizmo pulled up from Casualties of War (the second to last) seem more blue than green.

Is there a direct link to this stuff or do I just navigate around magicthegathering's website? Just curious on the steps and the whole process ;)

C

Captain Caveman

There's an Icon up near the top right corner. You can navigate
from there. Atleast I think you can. If not just look around and
you'll find something related to "You make the card."

B

BigBlue

I was at first thinking of some kind of spider queen.

1) M: Target attacking creature loses flying until end of turn.

In my mind, webs in the trees should force Forestwalkers to come into the open as well.

2) M: Target attacking creature loses forestwalk until end of turn.

On a different tangent I thought about the return of Channel in a limited role.

3) T: Sacrifice ~this~ and pay X life. Put one G in your mana pool for each life paid which can only be used to play creature spells.

I thought the first 2 were the more likely to be acceptable to R&D, a "Channeler" would be interesting though.

C

Captain Caveman

"It's just that your first mech and one that Gizmo pulled up from Casualties of War (the second to last) seem more blue than green. "

My first submission is kind of Blue in nature but things like: Sylvan Library and Yavimaya Elder let a player draw cards.

Most of the card drawing is blue but Green has some and I think
we(the green mage)need some card advantage.

This is the card I'd like to see:

Obi Wan...
1G
Creature-Druid Spirit
P/T: 2/1
Text:
G: If ~this~ is the target of a spell or ability controlled by an opponent you may sacrifice it. If you do, draw an amount of cards equal to that spell of abilities converted mana cost.

C

Chaos Turtle

Green, while not particularly well-known for it, historically has had conditional card-drawing. Yavimaya and Argothian Enchatresses come immediately to mind, as well as Compost and similar spells.

I liked the #1 ability that Captain Caveman posted since it combines untargetability (sort of) with card-drawing.

For this ability to be really useful, it would need to apply to all creatures controlled* by that player, or be on a nice fat creature that would require an expensive spell to get rid of, lest the creature simply be ignored.

*What I mean is something like this: "If a creature you control is the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, sacrifice ~this~. If you do, draw X cards, where X is that spell's converted mana cost, or the converted mana cost of the source of the ability."

A bit wordy, but just the sort of thing I'd like to see in a green creature.

H

Hetemti

Gurntanorg 3G
Summon Beast
Trample
If Gurntanorg deals lethal damage to a creature during combat, put a +1/+1 counter on Gurntanorg.
Remove two +1/+1 counters from Gurntanorg: Put a copy of Gurntanorg into play. (Copy retains all abilities.)
3/3

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I know green has some drawing ability; I love Sylvan Library and Mirri's Guile. That ability just made blue pop first into my mind (and speaking of which, wasn't that made into a blue Rhystic spell anyway? ;) )

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

Regulate
Instant
2WUBG
Each player sets aside the bottom x cards of his or her library, where x is the number of cards in the library of the player who has the least cards in his or her library, and puts the rest of the library in his/her graveyard.
For each red card put into the graveyard in this way, you may choose target card in your graveyard and put it on the top or the bottom of your library. Then, shuffle your library.
"All men are equal, but some are more equal than others"
-George Orwell (?)
"My ultimate goal is to bridge the gap between me and my not-so-ultimate goals"
-Shiro, Time Devourer
"People must enforce the laws they make. However, some laws tend to enforce themselves."
-Same.

H

Hetemti

Originally posted by Shiro, Time Devourer
Regulate
Instant
2WUBG
Each player sets aside the bottom x cards of his or her library, where x is the number of cards in the library of the player who has the least cards in his or her library, and puts the rest of the library in his/her graveyard.

Let the counting begin! *6 minutes later* Libraries vanish to Asideland along with a Sandbar Crocodilie and a poor soul who was facelessly butchered.

For each red card put into the graveyard in this way, you may choose target card in your graveyard and put it on the top or the bottom of your library. Then, shuffle your library.

Well, my opponent has blue, and therefore dug into his deck. I'm R/W so my idea of deck thinning is Tithe. I lose my deck, and drop into the yard a Bolt and a Plateau. I put the Bolt back, draw it, and end turn. Now, MrRegulator...you have no deck because it's aside...you can't draw. Thanks for playing Harakiri.

C

Chaos Turtle

Heh.

Shiro, you seem to have left something very important off your card... ;)

By the way... it's all animals that are equal. You got the right guy though. Orwell da Man.

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

Cool, Hetemti. Hey, even the best cards have their truly punishing counterparts.

Serra Avatar-> Agonizing Demise or Backlash
Ancestral Recall/any card drawer, Plagiarize

Cards that can combo w/ Regulate : Mortal Combat, Traumatize, Doomsday, and/or obstinate familiar.

I only commit harakiri at the time I have to draw. THe familiar allows you to skip draws.

Star rating for Regulate (1 to 5, Inquest style.)