You know, I just realized something...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Nightstalkers, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

I've been a member of this site since May of 2002... That's like... 3 years...

And I've been playing magic since 1992... so that's like... 13 years....

Maybe I need to get a new hobby?
  2. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Do you mean 1993 or were you playing it before it was released?
  3. Istanbul Sucker MCs call me sire.

I forgot when I joined this site, but I too have been playing since 1993.

[EDIT: Oh. Looks like I joined in January of 2000. More than five and a half years ago...]
  4. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I missed the boat when it first came out because who would have thought a card game would have caught on? Comics were the way to go!

So I started in '94. But I also joined in January of 2000 (probably would have been sooner but I didn't think the Dojo's forums would go down so quickly. But anyone worth talking to had already mostly moved here anyways).
  5. Ransac CPA Trash Man

I joined in Sep 2000 and have been playing since 94. However, I have not been playing the game as much as I used to.

Ransac, cpa trash man
  6. Oversoul The Tentacled One

I didn't even start playing until 1997. I didn't even know the game existed until then.
  7. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

I've been playing Magic: The Gathering since November - December of 1992. I still wished I would have not had that dumped my good collection off at the yard sale I had...

Sad...

I had three black lotuses...
  8. Ransac CPA Trash Man

........I'm pretty sure that Magic: The Gathering wasn't released until 1993 (and mid-late 93 at that).

Ransac, cpa trash man
  9. Mikeymike Captain Hiatus

I started seriously during Legacy (99?), picked it up a few times in previous years.
  10. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

I started in the 4th ed/ice age era and started judging in the block after Tempus.... or somewhere in that area.
  11. Oversoul The Tentacled One

August of 1993.
  12. Killer Joe Active Member

Can you even get ONE block or set name right? :rolleyes:

Quick, without looking anywhere; What was the name of the last set? ;)

Anyways, I think I've got this down to a quick short story:
    ~When I was playing OVERPOWER the game store I bought my cards from called "Bad Guys Comics" in Lower Burrell, PA the store owner would be playing Magic. I remember once telling him how I thought Magic wasn't the only TCG game around but loads of people treated it that way. I think I thought that way because there were very few OVERPOWER players out there and I was mad. That was the winter of 95-96.

The next year I worked at a Catholic High School and in my "Study hall" were two really smart kids who always had their homework done but always sat in the back doing something. I busted them playing this demonic game, oh yes, it was M:TG! But they showed me how to play and told me to get a deck, so I went to Eides Records and Comic Book store in downtown Pittsburgh and bought what was a tournament pack of Ice Age and I thought that that was all I needed to play. Pfft!

Later that year I started a "Magic Club" in my band room on friday afternoons. I was buying packs at Phantom of the Attic in the college campus area of Pittsburgh called Oakland (where Pitt and CMU are) and I told the owner (my old friend Jeff) what I was doing and he donated a box of fallen Empires to our group. Hey, it was a "FREE" box and I didn't know that they were bad cards (but cool to draft with). I was thankful for the donation nonetheless.

It wasn't until I moved to Endicott, NY and taught up there at Johnson City HS (where I met Almindhra) that I started getting semi-serious about playing MTG (Fall of '97). I played at Centerfield Comics in Endicott. This is where my famous story of passing up a Hammer of Bogardan in a draft happened :rolleyes:

The rest I've told many times before....

Member of this site since: Jan 2000 I was member of the Dojo prior
    Years playing Magic (as it were): 9 years