You know, I just realized something...

N

Nightstalkers

I've been a member of this site since May of 2002... That's like... 3 years...

And I've been playing magic since 1992... so that's like... 13 years....

Maybe I need to get a new hobby?

I

Istanbul

I forgot when I joined this site, but I too have been playing since 1993.

[EDIT: Oh. Looks like I joined in January of 2000. More than five and a half years ago...]

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I missed the boat when it first came out because who would have thought a card game would have caught on? Comics were the way to go!

So I started in '94. But I also joined in January of 2000 (probably would have been sooner but I didn't think the Dojo's forums would go down so quickly. But anyone worth talking to had already mostly moved here anyways).

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I joined in Sep 2000 and have been playing since 94. However, I have not been playing the game as much as I used to.

Ransac, cpa trash man

N

Nightstalkers

Oversoul said:
Do you mean 1993 or were you playing it before it was released?
I've been playing Magic: The Gathering since November - December of 1992. I still wished I would have not had that dumped my good collection off at the yard sale I had...

Sad...

I had three black lotuses...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
........I'm pretty sure that Magic: The Gathering wasn't released until 1993 (and mid-late 93 at that).

Ransac, cpa trash man

M

Mikeymike

I started seriously during Legacy (99?), picked it up a few times in previous years.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I started in the 4th ed/ice age era and started judging in the block after Tempus.... or somewhere in that area.

Killer Joe

Mooseman said:
I started in the 4th ed/ice age era and started judging in the block after Tempus.... or somewhere in that area.
Can you even get ONE block or set name right? :rolleyes:

Quick, without looking anywhere; What was the name of the last set? ;)

Anyways, I think I've got this down to a quick short story:
~When I was playing OVERPOWER the game store I bought my cards from called "Bad Guys Comics" in Lower Burrell, PA the store owner would be playing Magic. I remember once telling him how I thought Magic wasn't the only TCG game around but loads of people treated it that way. I think I thought that way because there were very few OVERPOWER players out there and I was mad. That was the winter of 95-96.

The next year I worked at a Catholic High School and in my "Study hall" were two really smart kids who always had their homework done but always sat in the back doing something. I busted them playing this demonic game, oh yes, it was M:TG! But they showed me how to play and told me to get a deck, so I went to Eides Records and Comic Book store in downtown Pittsburgh and bought what was a tournament pack of Ice Age and I thought that that was all I needed to play. Pfft!

Later that year I started a "Magic Club" in my band room on friday afternoons. I was buying packs at Phantom of the Attic in the college campus area of Pittsburgh called Oakland (where Pitt and CMU are) and I told the owner (my old friend Jeff) what I was doing and he donated a box of fallen Empires to our group. Hey, it was a "FREE" box and I didn't know that they were bad cards (but cool to draft with). I was thankful for the donation nonetheless.

It wasn't until I moved to Endicott, NY and taught up there at Johnson City HS (where I met Almindhra) that I started getting semi-serious about playing MTG (Fall of '97). I played at Centerfield Comics in Endicott. This is where my famous story of passing up a Hammer of Bogardan in a draft happened :rolleyes:

The rest I've told many times before....

Member of this site since: Jan 2000 I was member of the Dojo prior
Years playing Magic (as it were): 9 years