You Break the Card V5.0

B

BigBlue

This won't be one card, it's a mechanic. I'm trying to see how to break the white return cards from opp gy to hand which shows up on several white Judgement cards. One lets you return a creature from your own gy to play, another prevents damage, etc.

This seems breakable. With Blue you could use Traumatize to get cards there, and return lands to their hand. Maybe black/white discard? The problem with discard is they run out of stuff to force to discard, this way they'll have it again.

I'm curious to hear your ideas.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Maybe you could do Megrim damage again that way.

M

Mikeymike

The Advocates are the creatures/mechanics you are referring to.

If you are giving them cards, the best way I see to dissaude them from casting is using mana denial.

Stasis
Mist of Stagnation
Land Destruction
Winter Orb/Static Orb
Mishra's Helix

Other Cards which could work well
Cursed Rack - the Advocates can be used as instants, which is quite nice since the best time to use them is right before your opponent's discard step. Pulsemage 3 cards back to their hand putting a creature in play, they most likely have to discard down to 4. If you've got Megrim out all the better.

Arcane Laboratory - Ertai and/or Forbid can set up a Lab lock pretty quickly.

Lobotomy, Meddling Mage, Null Chamber, Destiny Lobotomies - hey you know what's in their hand, might as well stop it.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I've been trying to figure out how this mechanic can be best used. It isn't too good in Sealed, let me tell you that :)

B

BigBlue

no, they wouldn't be good in limited, I'm certain. :)

I was figuring Megrim would be the bomb to it (and is a madness buster as well). Its really too bad that the remove gy counterspell is worded so badly. It lets them remove an empty graveyard to avoid it. I'd almost have preferred another X counterspell, where it's countered unless they remove X cards from their GY. Heck if they'd have made it rare, it could work like old Powersink and remove them all anyways.

M

Mikeymike

Grip of Amnesia (the GY counter you are referring to), what does that have to do with an Advocate deck idea? The last thing you want to do is give them the option of removing their GY on you - without it your advocates are worthless.

K

Killerbob

Mist of stagnation? If it had a lower cc, it would be nice. Web of inertia is another possibility. With cards like these, grip of amnesia is fine. Your sole purpose is to remove his graveyard, and its a cantrip.
I like the Lobotomy idea it is SO evil.

B

BigBlue

What I was saying about grip of amnesia is that I wish it were better, where it was better. as it is now they can remove an empty gy from the game to avoid the counter, so it blows. You are correct, I wouldn't use it as is in an advocate deck.

I'd like to see a WB standard deck.

Cards to include Megrim, Pulsemage Advocate, Spectral Lynx, Vindicate, Mesmeric Fiend, Last Rites, Gerrard's Verdict, duress. What else?

I don't think it works. :-( Red will eat it alive.

Another deck occurs to me. A cephalid Broker, Merfolk Looter, Megrim deck with lobotomies, fiends, butchers, recoil, and counters. Not that it has anything to do with this thread mind you. :D

M

Mikeymike

What I was saying about grip of amnesia is that I wish it were better, where it was better. as it is now they can remove an empty gy from the game to avoid the counter, so it blows. You are correct, I wouldn't use it as is in an advocate deck.
Gotcha, I agree. I've been playing with it in a Mist of Stagnation build and it stinks in the early game.

K

Killerbob

I also agree, that It would have been nice, if they couldnt just remove an empty graveyard. But I still think the card is playable. Dont think of it as a counterspell, but as a cantrip Tormods Crypt, with the little twist, that they can counter it, if they let you counter one spell. Normally they wont do that, because a cantrip counterspell is a nightmare.
Anyway...its a solid response to Yawgmoths will!:p

G

Gizmo

Generally speaking, cards like Grip Of Amneia, Skullscorch etc etc suffer from what is known as Erosion Syndrome. To wit: they suck.

T

train

Run a manabarbs - see if they cast any then, and for the hell of it, run power surge to screw them either way...