You Break the Card (Mark IV)

B

BigBlue

At the behest of one of the few who are trying to break cards, I give you . . . Dawn of the Dead.

Dawn of the Dead
{2}{B}{B}{B}
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 1 life.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may return target creature card from your graveyard to play. That creature gains haste until end of turn. Remove it from the game at end of turn.
So, get some fatties in the GY with Buried Alive, or entomb. Attack, find a way to sac him each turn (before he get's removed) and use again. Maybe use something along the lines of Phantom Nishoba (to gain life back and use Trample), plus you could use Sadistic Hypnotist? to sac him and force discard to get the fattie back in the GY.

Rules Q: If you used it to get a Worldgorger Dragon, would the dragon be removed at the EOT (since the Dawn is gone, my guess is he'd stay)? Of course the problem with the dragon is having him bounced when he comes into play thus losing all your permanents for good.

M

Mikeymike

Type 1 (cuz its more fun)

Creatures 17
3 Bottle Gnomes
2 Crypt Creeper
2 Ruhk Egg
2 Dauthi Mindripper
1 Anarchist
1 Goblin Marshal
1 Keldon Vandals
1 Bloodfire Colossus
1 Phyrexian Plaguelord
1 Sadistic Hypnotist
1 Devouring Strossus
1 Avatar of Woe

Spells 19
4 Dawn of the Dead
2 Corpse Dance
2 Goblin Bombardment (sacker, I seem to use this card a lot)
2 Recurring Nightmare
4 Buried Alive
4 Terminate
1 Demonic Tutor

Mana 26
4 Dark Ritual (might not be necessary)
1 Sol Ring
21 B R producing lands.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Since it mentions each creature first as a card, wouldn't it still get removed from the game even if it were no longer in play?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Rules Q: If you used it to get a Worldgorger Dragon, would the dragon be removed at the EOT (since the Dawn is gone, my guess is he'd stay)? Of course the problem with the dragon is having him bounced when he comes into play thus losing all your permanents for good.
I asked this in Rules and Jigglypuff says it goes away; a delayed trigger is set up that's independent of the card being in play.

B

BigBlue

Originally posted by Thallid Ice Cream Man
Since it mentions each creature first as a card, wouldn't it still get removed from the game even if it were no longer in play?
As far as I know, once the creature hits the GY, it forgets all about Dawn of the Dead, and Dawn of the Dead can't go looking there for it either.

Interesting that the Dragon goes away. So, given that you like phasing, Tefari's Veil with DotD, and would the creature die anyways or at the end of any turn in which it's in play? (Given the earlier judgement on Worldgorger Dragon remembering to leave play.)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, from what Jigglypuff said, it seems to be more like a "game trigger" rather than one based on the Dragon itself, so that during the turn it comes in due to DotD, a trigger is set up specifically for that turn and if the Dragon phases out and enters in another turn, it's fine.

If it phases out and back in during the same turn, I think the trigger is still there but I'll ask to make sure.

B

BigBlue

At any rate, even if the cards are removed from the graveyard or the Dragon, etc, it's still pretty broken with say Phantom Nishoba in the GY to regain the lives it steals. And given that you keep your mana for the turn (unlike hasted creatures where you used the lands already) you can use removal to make a path for your fattie.

N

NorrYtt

Whenever cards or spells change zones, they don't 'remember' anything about their previous zone.

Because of this, if you creature brought back with Corpse Dance or Dawn of the Dead changes zones (from the play zone to your hand or to your graveyard most likely), it won't get removed from the game.

Say try to do something like Unearth your Ebony Treefolk. Your opponent uses an Advocate to put the Treefolk in your hand. Then you discard your Treefolk to your Wild Mongrel so it's back in the graveyard again (ready to be Unearthed, right?)...but that doesn't work. Unearth is countered because it's target is illegal; the Ebony Treefolk has changed zones and is essentially a different card now.

Cards do remember when they pass to and from the Phased-Out Zone.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I asked this in Rules and Jigglypuff says it goes away; a delayed trigger is set up that's independent of the card being in play.
So are you disagreeing with this? :confused:

Cards do remember when they pass to and from the Phased-Out Zone.
Only counters and unlimited duration effects; limited duration effects are cancelled.

T

train

Jigglypuff is right - it searches for the CARD.

Run this bad boy with fatties and Serra Avatar and Altar of Dementtia... She gets put into your library, so the dawn doesn't get her... but,

Fatties attack, kill, and give their souls to the altar while you mill like a mad crack daddy. Then they leave the game.