Yet another weird price check

I

Istanbul

I've finally completed a project of mine for sale...a TRUE Type II playset. Four of each common from each Type II set. That's four of each 7th Ed. common, four of each Invasion common, four of each Planeshift common, four of each Apocalypse common, and four of each Odyssey common.

How much do you think something like that would be worth?

H

Hetemti

Well, I once saw about a dozen of each common from Masques for $15, so judging by that, $25 or so.

But anyone in T2 buys a case or seven with each set, so commons are of no consequence. The people who'd buy a slab of commons are casuals who want a bunch of new cards w/o buying 17 truckloads of packs.

I say this, because I bought that $15 slab of Masques commons when I first started Magic because I wanted a lot of cards to work and trade from, without a large investment. After all, $15 in packs = 60 cards, and maybe one good rare. $15 slab=1,100 commons, plenty of goodies to toy with, and trade fodder to boot.

M

Mr_Pestilence

Commons are worthless, unless you want to "ranch" them.

After a couple of boxes of expansion, I have more than 4 of each common, and finding something to do with the extras is impossible.

Now, when I buy a pack of say, Odyssey, I pull out the rares and uncommons, foils, or Chatter of the Squirrel (I'm ranching them), and leave the rest on the play table at the store. Anyone who wants them is welcome to them.

I

Istanbul

Hey, Mista P...could you translate? 'Ranching' commons?
(Do you pour salad dressing onto them?)

M

Mr_Pestilence

Ranching is just seeing how many of a given card you can collect, like you do with knights (incidentally, I have literally hundreds of various knight cards to spare, if you're interested).

My favorite card to "ranch" is of course Pestilence. I quit counting at 1,000, and I have them in every Edition ever printed, including some foreign ones. I was extremely pissed off that Pestilence was removed from 7th Ed., denying me the chance for a FOIL Pestilence.

I also ranch Earthbinds and Killer Whales. I was ranching Thrashing Wumpi for a while, offering $3 for every one on ebay, but that got expensive very quickly. Fortunately, it turned out to be a popular card, and due to a local shortage of the things (thanks to me), I was able to sell about 40 of them to a store and make a little money.

There is an added benefit to ranching. You know all those piles of cards we all have that we just can't rid of? Well, if everyone picked a couple of cards to ranch, and traded aggressively for them, they would all disappear, or at least be reduced somewhat.

Happy ranching!

I

Istanbul

I already ranch Kezzerdrixes, Purraj of Urborg, and Mirri.
I ranch Knights. Lots of 'em. So many that I'm starting to run out of room!

PM me your mailing address, guy. I got somethin' for you.