Yet another thread, but an interesting article

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I know what you've been through from your post in Off-Topic and I am happy that your family chose to fight against Hussein, but I feel, just like the WTC situation, that the US is only responding to aggression and not initiating it. I am truly sorry that innocents were killed in the repelling of Iraqi forces from Kuwait, but as I said, there is a report of an interview with Norm S. that he was actively trying to cut down on innocent casualties. I am a tad more concerned, if not equally, for the innocent Kuwaitian people who had to endure an unwarranted, unprovoked invasion in the first place.

The point is, aggression has to be stopped and contained.

I

Ihsans Shade

First off, I think that the Canadian that wrote that should be thanked for his thoughts, it is good to see that someone out side the US appreciates this country. (no offense to the rest of you non-US residents) I think that he is correct in his thinking that there should be an international out pouring to help the US, but at the same time I don't think it is needed. There are two resons as to why a country might not help us.

First; these countries are might be our enimies, and will be damned if they will help the "American swine".

Seconed; The US dosen't really need any help. The article says, when you think about US technology, you think about the lunar landings. Plus we are AMERICA! we have more resources at our disposle than some continents.

I personally see the world as a class room or a daycare center. With the US as the teacher, or baby-siter and the rest of the world as childeren. (No offense to the other counties of the world is ment.) You have your well be haved "children" like France, Russia, Birtian, Spain, Japan, Peru, Venezulia etc. Who the "teacher" doesn't have to worry about too much. Then you have the kind of "kids" that make you want to quit. Hell razers like Iraq, and anyone else who officially hates the US. One day one of these "bad kids" dose something to knock the "teacher" down. All the "good kids" will be shock, and may try to help, while the "bad kids" will sit in a corner and snicker. But the fact remains that the "teacher" will get back up, and continue on. It will be appreciated that some of the "good kids" will help, but it will be unnecessary.

Hoping the "bad kids" get one heck of a time out, I am...
Ihsan's Shade

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to think that America is not arrogant in thinking that it can handle the rescue operations by themselves nor too prideful to accept help from other countries (which HAVE offered to help, BTW; many search and rescue teams are coming over from all over).

I

Ihsans Shade

I don't mean to be miss interitated, but what I ment was that if noone does help, we'll still get it done.

I am...
Ihsan's Shade

A

Apollo

Re: the Kuwait issue

I think you chose a really bad example to prove your point here, DUke. Kuwait got invaded; the U.S. came to their aid. The U.S. entered with the idea of protecting those innocents in Kuwait that were being killed. Sure, you don't want to fund killing, but if you don't help Kuwait, the innocent people there will be killed. Iraq did the invading; the victims got the support.

D

DÛke

...the victims got the support. We got killed. It could have been solved so that nobody gets hurt. I hate the Iraqi goverment; I love the people there. They got killed.

"...but you were gonna kill innocent people in Kewait..."

True, but when the U.S. helped Kewait, we got bombed. Is it right to fight wrong with wrong? No. It could have been solved simply by injecting fear to the Iraqi government. Threats and such. No actual killing should have been made. The Iraqi goverment was so afraid, they were ready to stop. Sadly, Kewait was funded...they wanted revenge on something that didn't even occur completely. They had their well share of revenge. From who? Sadam is still alive. Who's dead? 2 of my relatives, some of my friends, and countless others. Yes, it's the smell of justice...

M

Mikeymike

DUke, I'm truly sorry to hear that you lost family in the war. But from what I remember about 1990 and 1991, Hussein was not going to back down after a threat of resistance. He was determined to invade and absorb Kuwait back into Iraq and challenged anyone to stop him. And you can't say 'that's only what you see and hear from American media' b/c he was a camera hound, he use the international media as his podium and he made sure his intensions were well known.

A threat wouldn't have stopped him, if that was the case he would have backed down the second any opposition got in his way. A waving the American military in his face was an obvious enough threat and that didn't work. He also made it clear that 'he' was willing to sacrifice any people who fought for him or who fought in his shadow. He was the Iraqi government, and he was very aggressive to put it mildly. Force was the only thing he listened to (and probably respected). And if he was successful he would have had a newfound wealth of stolen resources & funds, and would have continued one by one through the other Middle-Eastern countries.

A

Apollo

It could not have been solved so that nobody would get hurt. Hussein has been threatened forever and not backed down. "Threats and stuff" would have done no good.

D

Dementia

I feel for ya Duke. It's kind of hard to explain, but let me try so maybe people can have a better view point.

People who are pissed about what happened in New York are mad at Duke and Gizmo and such because you get the feeling that they are saying as a token gesture "Yeah, it's horrible that the people died" then they get down to the bussiness of explaining WHY it happened and people get upset about it.

Well, I see you kinda doing that to Duke now. "Sorry that it happened Duke, but let me tell you why it HAD to happen".

I dunno how else to handle the situation....but just keep in mind that you are doing to Duke what he did to you. So don't be surprised if he answers as you did:)

I can't tell ya how happy I was to hear you say "the U.S. is great, in which it has, in fact, saved many, many lives by giving actual aid of food, medical supplies, and even money for reconstructions.". Made me feel better to know that someone who points out the bad things the US has done can also see that it has done good as well.

Not as inspiring as the Canadians speech, but I liked hearing it from you more:)

M

Multani

Here's one little quote for you.
"Absense of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Just because DUke can't put all the statistics in front your face doesn't mean that what he's saying is not true.
Most of us don't have the resources or the time to spend hours digging for the truth.

D

DÛke

...thank you a lot Multani, you're a real friend...after all. :)

Dementia, it's only fair and natural to point out the good and bad about an issue. Sadly, some people only like to see it their way, but that was when they were angry. Hopefully, times from now, all I have said will make more sense to some. I understand some will never, ever, ever get it. :D

Also, I decided to clean my hands out of all this. Some people are made not to understand, while others are amazing at understanding. Thanks to anyone who listened and actually comprehended anything I said and saw it as being logical than offensive, and thanks for anyone who even bothered to listen. This issue is as good as dead for me now. Unless I see another hell breaking loose, that is. :D

N

nodnarb24

I don't really want to get involved in these type of threads, since I don't want to get into an arguement, but I have one thing to say to DÛke.

DÛke: I do feel sorry with what your family went through during the Gulf War and everything, but it is U.S. policy to interfere with an aggressive dictator before it goes out of hand. If the U.S. didn't not support Kuwait, it was quite possible for an out break of World War 3. It was like the beginning of World War 2, Hitler prayed on smaller and weaker countries and nothing really happened to prevent it. All of a sudden the Nazi war machine swept through all of Europe. If Hussein got his way, a similar situation could've popped up in the Middle East.

D

DÛke

...Nodnarb, that's true. I'm not gonna even say anything. One thing, however: what you said is the "cherry on top." Where's the "ice-cream"? :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Multani: That is true and I agree. I don't have time to search for stuff myself, usually. But the reason why I ask for more info is because sometimes, just sometimes, people have a misconception of what happened or have not heard all the information and are basing their statements/arguments on that incomplete info.

DUke talks well and does make good points here and there, but some of what he's saying just goes against what I've heard or can extrapolate that I need clarification to resolve MY info/head against what he's saying, if not for someone else.