X's set of greatness

L

Landkiller

The eggs aren't two mana for three, a worse dark ritual. They are each superior to dark ritual, and I would favor them over a ritual of thier color eight days in the week. 6 mana on turn three. Plus, if you need, they are a color immune ritual.

What is the suffix 'rek?

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

fast blue, you could make a fast blue deck, with artifacts with 0 casting cost and tolarian academy, but anyway i get what you saying the nature of blue is defensive, building up strength, or diminishing the opponent's, until its time to attack, rising waters comes to mind, thanks for the complement by the way

"the light is merely an illusion for those too timid to embrace the darkness"

C

Cateran Emperor

Ohhhhhh. You'll have to excuse me, I don't speak Xarvoxian :D

M

MrXarvox

Wait till you see the colored cards before you judge anything from the set... it is stand-alone, and much of the "brokenness" of the above cards is shot down by high cc's and land destruction.
Here we go. Red. Red in the storyline is dominated by The Virenkov, a colossal fire elemental who embodies chaos. Come and see why the eggs aren't broken. (muahaha)

The Virenkov 13 RRRRR
Summon Elemental Demon Legend
Flying, first strike, trample
When Virenkov comes into play, sacrifice three creatures and three lands or remove The Virenkov from the game.
During your upkeep, sacrifice three creatures and three lands or remove Virenkov from the game.
18/18

Tzyver Burning-Sky 4RRR
Summon Legend
4RR, T: destroy target artifact or land.
T, Sacrifice Tzyver: Bury all Permanents.
3/3

Blazing Figure 4RR
Summon Spirit
First strike
Sacrifice Blazing Figure: Destroy target permanent.
3/1

Winds of The Fall 7RRR
Sorcery
Bury all permanents. Separate each library into two equal halves, then remove one half of each from the game. All players discard their hands.

Word of Torching XRR
Sorcery
Pay X life, sacrifice X permanents: bury X target permanents.

Iron Fist 1RRR
Instant
Target creature gets +6/+0 until end of turn, and loses trample.

Tzyver's will 3R
Sorcery
Flip a coin.
If you win the flip, Destroy all lands.
If you lose the flip, Destroy all creatures.

Spear of scorching R
Pay X life: Spear of Scorching deals 1/2 X damage to any target.

More later, I'm tired...

[Edited by MrXarvox on 11-09-00 at 05:28 AM]

C

Cateran Emperor

Virenkov is insanely broken. High cc and a decent CIP drawback isn't enough to justify a creature you could just Animate Dead or Recurring Nightmare back. Always remember that few drawbacks are great enough. Make the creatures a bit more balanced and the set will play better. Always keep recursion spells in mind whenever you create a creature card.

M

MrXarvox

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^How about that?^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

18 cc, and removed from game if its extra costs aren't paid.

[Edited by MrXarvox on 11-09-00 at 05:40 AM]

P

Phyrexian Pie-Eater

The eggs and Lands are still broken. Ok, you can't say a card isn't broken becuz of other cards. "Oh, chaos orb isn't broken, look at all the artifact destruction out there..." Its not the way the world goes round. You need to make the cards balanced. And what he is saying about the Virenkov is that you can get around that high CC buy using an animate dead once he's in your graveyard(right?).

Also: Tzyver's will and Iron fist are pretty broken. Any card that can destroy all lands or creatures for 4 mana is going to to unbalanced w/o drawbacks. And the easy way around Iron fist: give it trample AFTER you give it an iron fist. Nothing should get 6/0 for 4 mana. even fire breathing gave less than that, and it had to be paid totally in red, you could use a colorless.

I know I'm sounding like a giant d*** right now, but I'm just trying to help balance this set.

L

Landkiller

Virenkov is so weak. The comes into play thing kills any chance at reanimation tactics. You would require 6 creatures and 6 lands to get any use from it. The casting cost might as well be one. With so much removal, the chances of having enough to sacrifice is almost nil. While it wins if you can pull it off, it's very hard. Reanimation solves nothing.

Firebreathing was pretty weak, and Iron Fist is quite comparable to Blood Lust. It's playable. To "fix" it, make it so you must play it before blockers are declared. Otherwise, the whole trample issue is semi-irrelevant.

Tysver's Will is also pretty balanced, because you usually care whther you kill all lands or creatures. There are few situations where one of those at random couldn't massively backfire. If you're winning, an Armageddon may seal victory, but a Wrath would bite. If you're losing, you may have nothing to lose, but an Armageddon seals defeat. Therefore, it's perfectly balanced and in flavor for red.

The lands you made earlier are broken.

M

MrXarvox

Keep in mind that you can only play one land per turn. They're not broken because they don't generate any kind of infinite effect or near-infinite effect. They're just really good.
The main drawback to them is that they are lands, and non-basic ones at that. By their very nature, they are highly limited.
Their cost may be low, but only bounce could make them truly dangerous cards to play against. And even with that scenario, only the sulphur seas could be all that evil, they're just an undo.
You could just Wash Out their best color or something, that would be more evil than bouncing a Sulphur Seas. Just because they're free doesn't break them. They screw you for free mana that turn when you use them.
The eggs: I meant for this set to be played alone. I know they're broken if you use them with real cards. However, in this little set, cc's are high and powers are great. The fun of playing this set is blasting things, killing things, and generally being evil. To get out the really fun stuff, you need mana eggs.

P

Phyrexian Pie-Eater

So what your saying, is that you can make any card, and have it be as broken as hell, but since its in a "stand-alone set(not the right term for this set, think up a new one)" its not broken. Ok I got ya.
Also, you can use cards to allow you to play more than one land a turn. And mana means nothing with lands. There are some lands that *gasp* don't produce any mana, but they are still lands.

ps they are broken no matter what lame reason you give.

M

MrXarvox

This set is MEANT TO BE PLAYED APART FROM OTHER SETS. (and yes I know that a stand-alone is the first set of a block and includes basic lands) That helps to emphasize the story line. I might dull down the power of some of them if they were to be actually printed, or even written into an apprentice patch; but they aren't, so I can make them according to my deities-beating-the-living-smeg-out-of-each-other story.
There aren't any cards in this set that let you play more than 1 land per turn. The land is being ripped to shreds in the story. Land destruction is rampant while graveyard recursion is next to absent. Cards get blasted. That's how the set works. In summary, this set makes things go >BOOM< in massive quantities. Brokenness is as short-lived as the card it's on. And that card is (usually) guaranteed not to last long.
Again, if the set were meant to be played alongside cards like summer bloom, capsize, etc., I wouldn't make my cards quite so strong.

D

DÛke

Break it up people! Pie Eater! You're probably the nicest person on these boards! Don't give it away to MrXarvox!

MrXarvox, I think Pie Eater was giving out his opinion; after all, this IS a discussion board, it IS free to say anything. Don't round the bend. His opinion: you like it, listen to it, you don't, disregard it!

As for the cards, I have already told you, IN MY OPINION, they are busted. You shouldn't adjust the rules of Magic and make broken cards using the excuse: "...those cards are not going to be played with other Magic cards...” Magic is one game, not a new game with every new set. Please respect what I said, or don't. It is my opinion, and I am sticking to it.

If what makes you pleased is making those cards, than carry on going! They're your cards. As long as you're happy, don't mind anyone else. :)

M

MrXarvox

More red cards...

Broken Hammer 3R
Sorcery
Choose one:
Destroy target land, Deal 4 damage to any target, or destroy all artifacts.

Ashes of Virenkov 4R
Enchantment
2: deal 1 damage to target creature

Dance of Stones 3RRR
Instant
Flip 4 coins.
If you win the flip of coin #1, destroy target land.
If you win the flip of coin #2, deal 3 damage to target player.
If you win the flip of coin #3, deal 4 damage to target creature.
If you win the flip of coin #4, destroy target artifact.
For each flip you lose, take 2 damage.

Ping 1R
Instant
Deal 2 damage to target creature or player. If a white creature is damaged in this way, Ping deals an additional 4 damage.

Madness of Tzyver 3RR
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gets +3/+1, gains first strike, and T: deal 2 damage to any target and 2 damage to itself.

Tower of Torches 2R
Enchant Land
Enchanted land gains T: deal 2 damage to each creature and player.
When enchanted land is destroyed, it deals 4 damage to each creature and player.

Forest Fire RRRR
Sorcery
Destroy all forests.

Ignite Gas RRRR
Sorcery
Destroy all swamps.

Tzyver's Horde 3R
Summon Horde
First strike
When Tzyver's Horde comes into play, discard your hand. * is equal to the highest converted casting cost among the discarded cards.
*/*

Flame sprite 2R
Summon Spirit
Flying, first strike
3/1

Sand Wurm 4RR
Summon Wurm
When Sand Wurm comes into play, destroy target land.
First strike
3/3

Whirling Blade 2R
Summon Sword
First Strike
4/1

Next up: Black

[Edited by MrXarvox on 11-12-00 at 10:21 AM]

L

Landkiller

Hey, good job! This stuff is actually looking pretty cool.

It may need to be adjusted for game balance at some point, between the cards. For example, Tysver's Horde and The Virenkov is pretty damn big, and playable on turn 3-4. I get what you're saying. If all the cards are broken, then what is really broken?

M

MrXarvox

Black cards:

Touch of madness 2BB
Sorcery
Choose one: target player loses 3 life and you gain 3 life; or destroy target non-red creature.

Devouring Earth 3BBB
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a creature for each peat counter on devouring earth, or destroy Devouring Earth.
4: Destroy target nonland permanent. put a peat counter on Devouring Earth.

Frozen Heart 2B
Enchant Creature
Enchanted Creature gets +2/+1 and gains "this creature may not be blocked except by black and artifact creatures."

Purging Engine 5BB
Summon Horror
Trample
At the beginning of your upkeep, discard two cards or sacrifice Purging Engine.
B: +1/+1 until end of turn.
7/7

Marcescent Angel 2BBB
Summon Angel
Flying, first strike
Comes into play with four wing counters on it. When there are no wing counters on Marcescent Angel, sacrifice it.
During your upkeep, remove a wing counter from Marcescent Angel.
5/5

Pains of Dejection 6B
Sorcery
Destroy target player if their life total is 7 or less and they control no creatures. That player may not gain any further life this turn.

Hunger 1B
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gains "sacrifice a permanent during your upkeep, or take 3 damage and bury enchanted creature."

Cloud of Flies 4B
Summon Insects
Flying
2BB, T: remove up to four target cards in target player's graveyard from the game.
4/2

Incubating Wurm 2BB
Enchant creature
put three gestation counters on Incubating Wurm.
During your upkeep, remove one of these counters.
When all counters are removed, destroy enchanted creature and put into play a Wurm token with power and toughness equal to the power and toughness of the creature destroyed.

Warp Cortex 2BB
Sorcery
All players discard their hands and then draw three cards.

Nightmarish Summons 4B
Search your library for a creature card. Put that creature into play with haste. If any player pays 1 at this time, destroy the creature.

Deprive 2B
Enchantment
All creatures get -1/-1.

Fetid Marsh 1BB
Enchant Land
As long as enchanted land is a swamp, all creatures get -2/-0.

Shroud of Darkness 6B
Enchantment
Nonblack creatures cannot attack, and get -3/-0.

Imprisonment BB
Enchant Creature
Enchanted Creature does not untap as normal. To untap it, target player may discard a card at random during his or her upkeep.

Brutal Guard 7BB
Summon Guardian
When Brutal Guard blocks or is blocked, destroy all creatures that blocked or were blocked by it.
BBB: Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
7/7

Fustigate 3B
Instant
Choose one: Target player discards two cards at random, or destroy target creature.

Sword of Frozen Blood 3BB
Summon Blade
First strike
If sword of Frozen Blood becomes the target of a red spell or ability, sacrifice it and put a +1/=1 counter on target black creature.
B, T: target creature gets +3/+2 until end of turn.
3/2

Ray of Hatred 1B
Instant
Tap target creature. It deals damage equal to its power to itself.

Splitting Sky 6BB
Enchantment
During your upkeep, sacrifice all permanents you control except Splitting Sky.
1: Remove target permanent from the game.

Next: Green!

M

MrXarvox

Green stuff:

Arachnid Queen 3GG
Summon Spider Legend
All creatures you control get +0/+1 and may block as though they had flying.
GGG: destroy target creature blocked by any Spider this turn.
2/4

Achennoga 4GGG
Summon Spirit
T: prevent all damage to any target from one source.
G: prevent 1 damage from any source.
2: prevent 1 damage from any source.
1: phase out :D

Forest of Webs 2G
Enchant Land
If enchanted land is a forest, all spiders get +1/+1.

Golden Spade Spider 1G
Summon Spider
At end of combat, destroy all creatures blocking or blocked by Golden Spade spider.
0/1

Tree Spider 6GGG
Summon Spider
Trample
Can block as though it had flying.
Tree spider cannot gain flying.
8/8

Greater Whipscorpion 4G
Summon Scorpion
At end of combat, put a -1/-1 counter on all creatures blocking or blocked by Greater Whipscorpion.
3/3

Slinking Wurm 3GGG
Summon Wurm
Forestwalk, Trample
5/5

Converge 2G
Sorcery
If target opponent controls any forests, choose one:
Bury target creature that player controls, or deal 3 damage to him or her.

Crash of Leaves G
Instant
Target creature gets +2/+1 and gains trample until end of turn.

Swords of Wood 5G
Sorcery
Place a number of +1/+1 counters equal to the number of forests you control on any number of target creatures.

Fustigate 3G
Instant
Destroy target black or blue permanent.

Roar of the Feral 4GGG
Sorcery
Deal X damage to target player, where X is equal to twice the number of creatures you control.

Hypercane XGGG
Sorcery
Deal X damage to each creature and player. Any player may pay G to prevent one damage to themselves or any creature they control.

Emergent Juben 9GGG
Summon Elemental
During your upkeep, sacrifice Emergent Juben unless you pay 9GGG.
Trample, cannot be blocked by creatures with flying.
12/12

High Forest Dragon 7G
Summon Dragon
Flying
GG: +1/+0 until end of turn.
GGG: +1/+1 until end of turn.
5/5

Feast of the Predator 2G
Sorcery
Sacrifice any number of creatures.
Target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn for each creature sacrificed in this way.

Towering Vegetation 3G
Enchantment
If you control a forest, you may not be the target of white spells or abilities.

Stalwart Vegetation 3G
Enchantment
If you control a forest, you may not be the target of red spells or abilities.

Ardent Vegetation 3G
Enchantment
If you control a forest, you may not be the target of blue spells or abilities.

Thriving Vegetation 3G
Enchantment
If you control a forest, you may not be the target of black spells or abilities.

Next: Blue