X-Box 360

Ferret

Staff member
The other day I was visiting Mrs F down in St. Pete and her power supply had died on her computer. It was still under waranty, so we took it down to best buy to have a new one installed. It was only going to take a couple of hours, so we had time to head home, watch "The Dunwich Horror" (incredibly bad movie. A must see!) and trundle back and pick it up.

While leaving the store after we dropped of her PC I noticed a couple of kids next to the entrance looking like a couple of vagrants. They couldn't have been more than 15 and they had sleeping bags. I thought nothing of it and we went back to the house and watched the movie. When we returned later to pick her computer up we noticed that the vagrants had multiplied and they now had tents and and other random camping supplies (it was a rare cool evening in the Tampa Bay Area). I hadn't quite figured it out...

So, after we exitied the store it dawned on me: These freaks were waiting for the midnight release of the X-Box 360! I know that Microsoft had not produced enough of them to account for all of the reservations, so I can see why some people would want to camp out for them, but these people were waiting for something like 10-15 hours! Is it really that good? Are they enough games to justify buying it on day one?

Dunno. Pretty, sad really...

-Ferret

"Now if it was the PS3...."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You know people and new technology: some have got to have it the moment it comes out. Personally, I'd wait until there's a steady supply...

Ferret

Staff member
I'd rather wait until there's actually some titles worth buying for it. When I bought my first Playstation a million years ago it was for Final Fantasy VII - of course, it wasn't due to come out for eight or nine months. Meanwhile, there were other titles that kept me suitably occupied. Of course, on its release date I was at the mall two hours early to be the first in line (I knew the people that worked there and bribed them w/ coffee for front of the line priviledge).

When the PS2 came out, I held off for a little while and may not have bought it until Final Fantasy X came out - however, Mrs. F had plans of her own and she scooped one up w/o my knowledge. She could be very sneaky when she wanted to :) The PS2 had the advantage of backwards compatibility and PS3 will, as well. Because of that, I'll have no problems scooping one up - but, I'll still give it some time so that the price will go down a little...

-Ferret

"$400 is still a little out of my price range and I'm going to have to save up..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Is it backwards-compatible with older XBox games? If any of those were any good, that might be a reason why some are buying the XBox now... to play past games while waiting for future while having the "latest technology"...

Ferret

Staff member
Beats me. The only games on the old X-Box that I wanted to play I can play just as well on a PC or PS2 (Knights of the Old Republic, Knights 2, Ummmm... I guess Halo was okay).

-Ferret

"I can't wait for the new Nintendo to come out so I can make fun of it!"