WWYT Round 16 - Results

E

EricBess

I must say that I was hoping for a bit more diversity of answers on this one. I expected things like Taj Mahal and The Eiffel Tower to be pretty good guesses. I don't know if it is because of the recent events, but there was a huge flocking to American buildings. In particular, I'm not sure if the Sears Tower would have gotten so many responses if it were not now the largest building in New York again.

Anyway, here are the answers (15 responses):
The Empire State Building - I think this is the #1 American building that I was expecting and sure enough, everyone listed it (15)
The White House (12)
The Pentagon (11)
The Sears Tower (10)
The Capitol Building (5)
The Eiffel Tower (3)
The Louvre (2)
Taj Mahal (2)
Tower of London (2)
Trump Tower (2)

And the 1 pt answers:
The Alamo, Buckingham Palace, Building 7 (WTC), Leaning Tower of Pisa, Smithsonian, Twin towers of Kuala Lumpur, The Vatican, Versailles Palace, Washington Monument.

Quite frankly, only 1 of the 4 responses for the Capitol didn't also list the other 4 top answers. As such, we have a 4-way tie. And while there are no surprises for the winner of our little competition, the neck-in-neck battle for third place ends in a bit of a surprise.

Apollo - 53 (5)
Azreal - 53 (5)
nodarb - 53 (5)
Gerode - 53 (5)

Melkor - 51
Hetemti - 50
Ransac - 49
Mundungu - 44
theOrgg - 43
Rando - 41
sagerrider - 40
Istanbul - 38
Spiderman - 33
Chaos Turtle - 31
rkoelsch - 21

final standings:
Gerode - 29 - Took you long enough :) Congratulations
Apollo - 23
Chaos Turtle - 22
Istanbul - 19
nodarb - 19
Azreal the Soulmaster - 18
Hetemti - 15
Melkor - 15
Spiderman - 13
Rando - 12
sleepy - 9
TurdCutter - 8
sageridder - 8
Mundugu - 7
Lotux Mox - 7
Ransac - 6
Jake74 - 6
fuzzy - 5
rkoelsch - 2
TheOrgg - 1

WWYT will now go on sabatical for a couple of weeks as I need to prepare for a couple of big tournaments coming up. Keep an eye open as I will probably start up again sometime in October.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Would that be ME who listed the Capitol and not the other top four? Geez...

Way to go Apollo for overtaking Chaos Turtle (not that I was rooting against you, CT, but that he did so well to the end).

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Sears Tower in Chicago and hasn't it always been the tallest building in the World since it's been built?

Ransac, cpa trash man

N

nodnarb24

Originally posted by Ransac
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Sears Tower in Chicago and hasn't it always been the tallest building in the World since it's been built?

Ransac, cpa trash man
If you count all the antennas and such yes, but in raw building the Petronas towers in Kuala Lumpur are the tallest.

E

EricBess

Is it in Chicago? My bad. I believe that it is the tallest building in the US. I'm sure there are taller elsewhere in the world.

A

Apollo

Wheee! Thanks, Spidey. I got off to such a horrible start that I figured I'd be lucky to score, and then I somehow caught fire and ended up in second! I'm so proud...

CT: Nyah, nyah!:)

S

sageridder

Had to let someone else win a game once in a while. (J/K) ;)
Can't belive how poorly I did,and every time I did answer well it seemed everyone else did too.Gerode congratulations on a game well won.:D

I

Istanbul

Bleah. Stinky muffin.

Oh well. I take 4th place. Not too bad.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
This whole game was a conspiracy against me. Almost everytime I played, I come within 5 points of scoring. OH, sure, they gave me points at the beginning, but that was just to lull me into a false sense of security.

This conspiracy is so clever it must have been thought up by people from the highest power!!!!!!!!!!! BUSH THOUGHT IT UP HIMSELF, DIDN'T HE??????? JUST TO THROW ME OFF MY CONQUEST TO RULE THE LIVING ROOM! I worked long and hard to overthrow too-koo, the flying bird, from ruling the living room, and I'm NOT GOING TO LET IT BE TAKEN AWAY AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ransca, cpa trash man

C

Chaos Turtle

Hey, Apollo, come over here!

[color="royal blue"]*Chaos Turtle whips out his trusty lightsaber.*[/color]

Looks like we're havin' chicken tonight!

Awww...shucks...

Y'all know I love y'uns.

*hug*

R

rkoelsch

somehow I managed to score points. I don't understand it. I really wanted to get through the whole thing without scoring any points. I came pretty close though.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The Sears Towers were the tallest in the world from when they were built in 1973 until 1996, when the Petronas Towers in Juala Lumpur, Malaysia were built. The latter beat it by 33 feet.

From a Washington Post article today.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I know it was sorta nerdy, but it was one of those things that nagged me in the back of my mind so when I found the info, well, I felt so inspired that I had to share :D