WWYT - Round 1 Results

E

EricBess

Okay, sorry for the delay. I didn't realize just how anticipated these results were. Great job on your 6 points, rokapoke :D

Recent movies suitable for children turned out to be very diverse. none of the responses received more than 4 of the 10 people responding and only 2 of the top 3 respondents got all three (turgy had 3 3-point responses).

The Golden Compass - 4 (we need to talk...)
Harry Potter - 4
The Spiderwick Chronicles - 4
Alvin and the Chipmonks - 3
The Chronicals of Narnia - 3
Ratatoille - 3
Bee Movie - 3
Hanna Montana - 3
Shrek the Third - 2
Snow White - 2

And the customary list of 1-point answers:
National Treasure 2, Pirates who Don't Do Anything, The Water Horse, Inkheart (not even out just yet Mooseman...), Finding Nemo, Happy Feet, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Cars, Ice Age 2, Meet the Robinsons, Horton Hears a Who, 101 Dalmations, Step Up 2 (really?), Enchanted, Penelope, The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, Steamboat Willie, and (good thing it was mentioned already that this was a joke) Southpark - Bigger Badder and Uncut

Clearly there were some varying opinions about "recent".

One small comment on specific vs general answers. A couple people commented about "Harry Potter" vs "Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix". Because I had specifically asked for "recent" movies, I went ahead and grouped these since the Order of the Pheonix is the most recent Harry Potter movie. However - as a rule, a specific answer and a general answer will be considered two different answers unless there is a good reason to view them as otherwise. "Apples" grow on trees and so do "Fruit", but they would be considered two very different things.

The scores give us some clear point earners this round:

rokapoke - 18 (5)
turgy22 - 17 (3)
BigBlue - 16 (2)
Melkor - 14 (1)
train - 13
Mooseman - 10
Spiderman - 10
Modus Pwnens - 8
Ransac - 8
Budget Player Cadet - 6

I failed to mention the scoring system. Top earner gets 5 points. Second gets 3, Third gets 2 and Fourth gets 1. In the event of a tie, all tied individuals receive the maximum. So, if two people tie for first, they each get 5 and no one gets 3.

Point Totals after the first round:

rokapoke - 5
turgy22 - 3
BigBlue - 2
Melkor - 1
train - 0
Mooseman - 0
Spiderman - 0
Modus Pwnens - 0
Ransac - 0
Budget Player Cadet - 0

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Heh, I put Step Up 2 but since "children" wasn't exactkly defined, I figured teens would see it since Hannah Montana is also up there :)

R

rokapoke

The anti-church themes from the Golden Compass book were largely removed from the film. And it (the movie, at least) is targeted to the preteen crowd.

And EricBess, I think you're confusing Alvin and the Chipmunks with the rodent Buddhist "Chipmonks."

E

EricBess

Sorry. I think that's actually a case of my fingers going faster than my brain. I would fix it, but it's more fun that way. Besides, apparently I'm not the only one. It got 3 votes ;)

As for the Compass, I've read the book and between you and me, I felt that the "anti-church" themes weren't that big of a deal (though the author all but admits they were intentional). I was always more concerned about the emotional castration elements. Admitedly, I haven't seen the movie.