WW at Worlds

R

rkoelsch

I am excited to see a white weenie deck at worlds. I was reading the match between Ruel and Seldan and I was curious about a sideboard choice. What would be the advantage of Wax/Wane over Erase? Not able to see the decklist yet maybe they have access to green mana. Any ideas?

E

EricBess

I think you've got it right there. I'm pretty sure that the decks running Wax/Wane over erase have some way to get green into the picture.

M

Mundungu

I think Ruel is running Tithe, so he might very well have a couple of savannah hiding somewhere.

L

Lotus Mox

Ruel also ran Flood Plain and definitely a Scrubland (for Perish in the SB??), although I think he only has Meddling Mages as off color cards maindeck.

R

rkoelsch

Antoine Ruel
Red/White/Blue

Main Deck
4 Flood Plain
8 Plains
2 Scrubland
4 Tundra

4 Meddling Mage
4 Mother of Runes
4 Ramosian Sergeant
4 Soltari Priest
4 Steadfast Guard

3 Brainstorm
3 Crusade
4 Cursed Scroll
4 Seal of Cleansing
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Tithe

Sideboard
4 Bottle Gnomes
2 Disenchant
3 Hydroblast
3 Perish
3 Wax

No savannahs so he never intended to use wane. The only thing I can think of is that against a Pikula gives a card that is unexpected. The reason I think WW was so prevalent is because the deck is stable and versatile and against an undetermined metagame those 2 virtues are very important. You don't want your deck defeating you.

L

Lotus Mox

mhh, I have looked at most of the Extended decks and other ppl also played the same WW deck, but those used Erase instead of Wane in the SB, one even played 2 Erase and 1 Wane :confused:.
It's possible that the team hadn't enough Erases and had to use Wane instead :)

J

John`O

Yes they probably couldn't find Erases and the difference
doesn't really matter.
At worlds there were lots of last second sideboard changes
and everyone was running around finding cards on the Friday
morning.
This happens because you really only get a good idea what everyone is playing when you arrive at the site and see them
sleeving decks!

John