Would it be too pretentious...

• Thread starter Thallid Ice Cream Man
  • Start date
T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

...to say that I might be the "average" CPA member? I feel I am qualified for this in many respects. Before we begin, I'd like to ask that you not flame me for making generalizations that you may feel are sweeping and unnecessary. If many protest this, I'll merely decide that I was probably wrong and post something to this effect. That said, here are some reasons in no particular order:

1) I have a number of posts that is about average among people who, quite frankly, make a difference on this site - namely, people who have posted often outside of their new member threads. I have less posts than the people who have been here for a while or are famous for rapidly and repeatedly spamming, but I'm guessing my name is still recognized by most of the people on this site ( am I right?).

2) My posts have about an average amount of relevance. Obviously I spam less than people like Ransac and K9Archmage (I had to add that), but there are easily many who write in a more focused manner (Gizmo, Duel, and Chaos Turtle are some notable examples).

3) I tend not to focus on any forums directly when choosing how to navigate the site and where to go first. I spend some time at the Off-Topic and Battle Arena forums, which is where, I imagine, many CPA members spend time as well (it's all too true, sadly....). However, I recently have been posting just as often in many other forums that I ignored for a period of about a month in October or so.

4) The effort I put into my writing is about average. Like most CPA members, I don't write many good articles, and the threads I start could be said to be less than thought provoking, but yet I don't spam too much, and I write relatively clearly, even if the subject matter is stupid... :D :D

Actually in this respect, I might be a little above average in that I often submit large and long posts. Feel free to argue with this; I won't get instantly belligerent.

5) My attitude is probably the average one exhibited here. I often frequent the Off Topic, Battle Arena, and Home-Made Cards forums (the latter of which has been degenerating recently, IMHO), but I at least HOPE I am not out of flavor with the real veterans, namely the founders of the site and the longstanding members.

6) I've been on this site for about the average amount of time that people may have been here. The majority of people on this site have joined since August, which is when I joined. Most of the well-known members have come before then, or at least, near the beginning of August.

There are some other weak reasons that really don't matter but that I thought of while I was writing this sentence... [me] grins sheepishly [/me]

Feel free to argue heatedly about this, just wait a sec...

[me] puts on his heat shield[/me]

Ah, that's better. See, this is about the average attitude. Fire away!

PS: Remember, of course, that I am not factoring in people who have posted less than about 10 times, as we really don't know much about them - they are, in essence, just numbers to most of us. Nor will I include second/third/nth screen names of longstanding members (TheGuyFromTheOtherPost, whoever Reincarnation is, etc.).

A

Apollo

Yep, I'd say you were a fairly typical member. But what's the point? We're all fairly different. What does it matter if you're "average" or not?

D

Darsh

Why do you want to be considered average?

Being average is a bad thing to me.

C

Cateran Emperor

I'd concur, you seem about average in terms of posts and relevance.
Yet at the same time, if I see your name next to a post I instantly recognize that name and I can tell what kind of personality to flow through it.

Zadok sounds exactly like a founder would, Ransac sounds like a raving maniac, Gizmo sounds like a hardened pro, CT sounds like a philosopher, Spiderman sounds like an adult trying to keep some semblance of order, DUke sounds intellectual, Almindhra sounds 'erhem' feisty, Ed sounds logical and matter of fact, nodnarb sounds like a raving lunatic, Ransac sounds like he is also committed to an insane asylum, Hetemi sounds bitter and scathing, Istanbul sounds like one of those high and mighty Blue mages, Orgg sounds distrubingly like Orson Welles, Multani sounds like a guy with more knowledge than he knows how to express, TomB sounds like a diplomat, Zero sounds flirtatious, Whimsical sounded (where are you with our beloved Weatherlost???) like a Southern belle as she intentionally tried to do, Jester sounds like she's on the road to a pro tour event, Duel sounds like he has a LOT of free time on his hands...

and so on and on and on. These are just those who distinctly stand out off the top of my head, yet there are dozens more who I'd recognize on the spot, whether from recurring gags from endless threads or inside jokes from battles in the arena, you can always see everyone as being different.

So yes, you are the average CPA member. You're average because you aren't like any one other person here (excluding those who have several different names all running simultaneously ;) )

Being average is the same as being weird. Weird and different are the norms. Always remember that.

M

magicman_moe

hehe im just weird! i mean really i kinda am. i
m a weird type of mtg player but im all about the cpa!

screw the pro tourneys!

anything that has something like a 50 dollar door charge is stupid!

now little card shop tourneys im all for! and indie tourneys.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I know not why I decided to say this (although at this point I can safely say it wasn't pretentious). It just occured to me one day for some inexplicable reason. I guess if anyone wants to make some sort of assumption about the average CPA member (though why anyone would want to do so is beyond me), he/she should go to me. I agree, this is hardly significant, I was just slightly bored when I posted it.

And of course, normality isn't really a good thing. Oh well. I'l have to be more insane then.

Thanks!

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
*Ransac snaps his fingers and Thallid Ice Cream Man is now wearing the crown of averageness.*

Congrats, you can be THE average CPA member in MY book. Just as long as I am the spokesperson for this site.

*many shudder at Ransac's last comment*

Ransac, cpa trash man

R

Rando

Hey, it sounds like I fit all the criteria set forth by TICM as an average member too.

I've never written an article though...

D

DÛke

...yep, I'm crying!

Zero! How dare you! Cateran Emperor just called you "flirtatious"! <cries> I used to hold that title! Oh well...you have more options anyway...my options are very narrow:

Almindhra, who has a Force of Will ready to counter every word of mine, not to mention a nice: "hello", so flirting is out of the question...

Whimsical, whom if I try to flirt with, she'd probably change me into a public laughing matter! She could change anything into a laughing matter! I don't know how she does it, but that's why she's Whimsical!

Sadist Angel, who was very, VERY, VERY fun to talk to. She was talkitive all the time...or while she lasted anyway. Her talks even had the need for cruelty and sadism in them...J/J! She was fun though, but she's gone...DUH! "Sadist"!

Zhaneel, well, one word: "Cute little girl who likes to be nice to everyone"...that wasn't one word, was it? She's nice...I can't bring myself to flirt with her.

ErinPuff is very cute. She reminds me of Ditto from PokeMon, for some reason. Or, if you don't know what a "Ditto" is, you might know "B.B.Hood" from Dark Stalkers...yes, ErinPuff is THAT cute, or at least, the name sounds like it.

Purple Jester...heck, I even gave her the name "Purple Girl", which most people call her by now...do I really need to speak anything about her?It's clear what's going on between us...oh, wait, it's not, is it? That's right, because there is NOTHING going on between us! We're just friends dang it...or are we? You'll never know, so NA!

Grifth Se...what can I say'bout Grifth Se? She reminds me of a lady who likes for men to open the limo door for her, and to pull her chair for her so she can sit. She reminds me of a classic lady: very nice, very innocent, yet very mysterious. I can't flirt with her: she deserves a gentleman...and I am, but...well, whatever, that's a whole other story.

Zero...can I flirt with Zero? Nope. You see, there's this thing going on right now, and I can't talk...sorry. No information is to be released any time soon - or at least, that's the threating letter I got from Zero the other day, it aslo contained a box that made the sound: "Tic...tic...tic...tic...TOC...tic...tic...tic...TOC...", sounds like a bomb, but I'm just going to lay it under my pillow for now, and hope one day I find out what it is!

Anyway...back on subject, what's the subject again?Really, who cares about being anything? We like everyone, it doesn't matter. Average, unique, mutants, whatever...you name it, we LUUUVE them all! :)

A

Almindhra

lol...I'm feisty?...Did you get that word from me, Cat Emp?...I think I've used that to describe myself before...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Well, BACK TO THE ORIGINAL COVERSATION, T.I.C.M. is, like I said, THE average cpa member. But, does anybody have any objection to me being the spokesperson?

*Many shudder again, then a stage manager comes out and talks to Ransac.*

There IS no spokesperson? DANG!!!!!! oh well. I'll stil take the title of cpa spokesperson, though.

Ransac, cpa spokesperson

M

Multani

Multani sounds like a guy with more knowledge than he knows how to express,
Hmmm...that pretty much sums it up. Also there is the fact that I know less knowledge than I think I know and vice versa... Anyway, CE has me nailed.

"Predictability gets you killed." -Wedge Antillies.
[me]becomes paranoid and goes into random behavior subroutines....[/me]

M

Major Crime

I really must post more often, as I seem to be one of the longer running members, but I have quite a small post count.
Well this is one more to the post tally.

D

Duel

I'm serious? Only in comparison to TICM.

Actually, I think the most representative of the CPA would be one of the lurkers.....

I

Istanbul

I think everyone will agree with me when I say that we'd much rather see infrequent but meaningful posts than frequent, meaningless posts.

(As he draws ever closer to the 1000 mark...)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Meaningful and appropriate to the forum, of course (though not wishing to drag out the "what is spam in the Off-Topic" subject again).