WotC are they that bad?

S

Shadowfire

Well Ihsan. I think WOTC is putting to much time into that other blasted game they came out with. you know the one the P game.

It currently is out selling magic. So WOTC have gone where the money is. The good old $$ in the eyes. gets em every time. Greed is what has hurt WOTC in my opinoin. And until the kids see the P game for what it is this will continue as the rule.

just my thoughts

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
My feelings of discontent with WotC, and their really messed up policies concerning rules, set releases, and errata are already well known. I won't bore you guys with that rave out again.

But you bring up an interesting point, Ihsan, when you mention that they make the game we love. It's true their name is on it, but the guy responsible for it is Richard Garfield. It seems to me that all WotC did was take a chance on a new product from a virtual unknown, and they piloted it to the top.

But the question begs: Were they visionary, or mercenary?

In other words, did they seize onto Magic looking to refine and improve on an unfinished product, and make the game itself better? Or did they simply see a good way to break the bank with a little careful manipulation of cards and rules, and, of course, availability? (which, by the way, is the same approach they've taken to Pokemon!)

I think the answers are obvious, and I think crediting WotC with anything more than having the guts to try something new is probably giving them more than they deserve.

I think my non-vote is for disapprove.

Anyone surprised?

TomB
CPA Member

"I do not teach. I simply reveal."
-Daudi, Femeref tutor

T

theorgg

In the good old days, wotc wasn't all about the money.

nowdays, they have become just like any other company.

Heil the $
the allmighty $

kill Pok... Nevermind.

I called the wotc hotline and pushed "1", the questions for pokemon section(didn't know it had gotten this bad, did you?) and asked the guy"when will pokemon be cancilled?" the first guy I got couldn't answer. he was too buizy laughing. at what, I do not know...

sorry for the rant. just reflecting an tellin' a story.

sic semper,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-theorgg

A callow knight in armor,
Appropriatly brave,
Displayed his lack of wisdom
and charged into my cave.

He challanged me to battle,
In moments it was through.
He made a tasty morsel-
His horse was tasty, too.

-Jack Prelutsky,
"Ogrebrad"
published in Monday's Troll,1997 scholastic

I

Ihsans Shade

Okay, first off I would like to say that I am not going to take side, I will simply take the side of the under dog. Now then, This isn't really a vote so I didn't put it there, but how do we feel about Wizards of the Coast? Do we like them or dissaprove of them, to start this bout off I will give to examples on both sides of the spectrum. 1:The care less about the majority, those of us who buy the game for fun, and fund their company, and pay more attention to the minority who are professional, at both playing magic, and be grade a dick heads(They must fit both of these requirements, or else they are not so bad.)But then again, they do make the game that all us 90-some members love. So go ahead, spout off! I want to see this thing get big.

Professional Antagonizer
Ihsan's Shade

I

Ihsans Shade

Ok, it seems that yes they are that bad, but keep the replies coming

Ferret

Staff member
Welcome to the 80's - or rather the ongoing spirit of the 80's. Does anyone remember those old commercials from that used to end with "We're Beatrice"? Okay, I'm asking many of you to remember way back and I apologise to those of you that weren't even born yet, but it was basicaly a huge megacorporation that owned lots of other smaller companies tooting their horn at the end of every ad...

When I saw those ads I realised that was the future. Succesful companies devouring competitors instead of trying to run them out of business. Let's look at some examples:

Philip Morris now owns Kraft Foods, Miller Brewing, and of course many brands of cancer sticks. They slowly bought them over the last few years and nobody noticed.

The Disney Empire has been scooping up smaller entertainment groups - sometimes in hostile takeovers - such as Henson and Associates (who recently won back their freedom) and ABC in an effort to control the television media.

Microsoft knows that sometimes trying to compete w/ a company can be difficult, so they'll just seize them - such as their takeover of WebTV - which has proven to be quite beneficial for WebTv's concerns.

and of course, there's WotC: they started out making a few RPG's in the 80's and were considered a two-bit third party company which would never really compete until they released Magic. Then, all of their RPG's were put on the back-burner and they worked on cornering the CCG market. Soon, they were buying up other CCG makers like 5 Rings and other lesser companies. This allowed them to build up enough capital to acquire their old rival TSR...but oddly enough, they would be consumed by...

Hasbro. Over the past decade Hasbro has been consuming every other kind of game companies such as Milton Bradley, Parker Brothers, Microprose, Activision, Atari...the list goes on and on.

So, yes, Wizards of the Coast is in this for the money and they'll do anything to make that money. It's the American way: Money is your god and corporations are missionaries.

-ferret

"...and NBC's Dateline is the Grand Inquisition..."