Worst-case scenario

I

Istanbul

So you're sitting there at a Sealed tournament with one OD tournament pack and 2 TOR boosters. You open them up, see your rares, and spontaneously begin to projectile vomit.

What five rares did you get? The WORST five rares for Sealed, 3 OD, 2 TOR.

B

BigBlue

OD - Mudhole, Hint of Insanity, Any Shrine, I could go on.

TOR - False Memories (unless I'm missing something why mill yourself for a quarter or more of your library, even for threshold, in limited, for a turn?), Mortal Combat (how many creatures are even in your sealed deck? Is that a combo with False Memories somehow?)

Thankfully, while there are some really good Bombs, if you had good enough commons and uncommons, you could recover with these two sets imho and those 5 crappers.

How many rares usually make it into your sealed decks?

Oh yeah, and were's your own list?

C

CAMDEX

OD- Mudhole, Hint of Insanity, Cephalid Shrine
Torment- whatever they say.

L

Lotus Mox

Isty, I don't think you should complain, you have to be somewhat lucky to get more than one bomb-level rare which fits your deck anyway, and as BigBlue said good uncommons and common can make up for a lack of rares.

Speaking of good uncommons, you got Shower of Coals, which is absolutely awesome :), although I somehow think there should've been a card which you could've played above Centaur Veteran ;)

Why not post the list of cards you got? I'm curious what I'd have played. :)

back to topic: I think the worst Odyssey rares to get are um.. Cephalid Shrine (although any other Shrine is nearly equally bad), Hint of Insanity, and Aboshan, Cephalid Emperor (j/k, I mean Battle of Wits).
For Torment: Retraced Image and Mortal Combat

I

Istanbul

The rares I got:

OD: Aven Shrine, Battle of Wits, Need for Speed
TO: Radiate, Mortal Combat

The only thing I could think to change to turn it into the WORST rare set for Sealed is what most of you have, turning Need for Speed into Mudhole.

I

Istanbul

Oh, I nearly forgot. Ended up playing G/R/B...no Fiery Temper, no Butcher, no Mes. Fiend, no Firebolt, very few tricks. :/

It was a flat-out MIRACLE that I got 11th out of 112.

And the guy I faced in my last round got Compulsion, Circular Logic, Fiery Temper, Violent Eruption, Zombie Infestation and Upheaval. How the hell do you go Sealed and open up a Constructed deck?!

B

BigBlue

Originally posted by Istanbul
Oh, I nearly forgot. Ended up playing G/R/B...no Fiery Temper, no Butcher, no Mes. Fiend, no Firebolt, very few tricks. :/

It was a flat-out MIRACLE that I got 11th out of 112.
Actually, you are underselling yourself, there was no miracle, it is because a good player can compensate for a weak deck a LOT easier than a weak player can win solely with a good deck.

And like I said, the Commons/uncommons make the deck and it sounds like you got shafted there as well.

At least you didn't finish 9th. That would have tee'd you off even more.

**damn completely random**

And without counting Battle of Wits, Mudhole might actually have a use in a deck. Say vs a Terravore whereas Battle of Wits would be sheer comedy with no way of posessing 200 cards in sealed.

T

theorgg

The ones I would say without picking anything else:

OD: Chance Encounter, Battle of Witts, and Cephalid Shrine.

Tor: Alter Reality, Mortal Kombat.

I've seen Mudhole on some people's lists... and as soon as I get my Torment PR report out(I'm going for the "Latest PR Report" record to spice it up! :{ ) ), I'll tell you how Mudhole stomped one in my arse.