Worst Apocalypse Card?

Z

Zadok001

Haunted Angel is one of my favorites! A 3/3 flier for 3 mana is impressive, albeit the drawback more than balances the beast. A U/W beatdown deck may arise soon...

My least favorite Apoc card is... Last Stand. Piece of junk, IMHO.

D

Duel

I dunno. Last stand is pretty low down there....

Honestly, though, Gerrard.

He's been coming for how many years? The ultimate hero? The savior of dominaria? and he's a what, you say? 3/4?

H

Hetemti

Gerrard's okay. He may be heir to the legacy, but remember, he fought with Crovax, who's a 3/3. (Yes, with the -1/-1 effect making G a 2/3, eat me, I didn't make it) So the PT is about right. I just don't understand why his abilities suck...BUT...he broke an old card...check this out:

Declare Gerrard as attacking, tap your opponent's critters, cast...

FOXFIRE!!!

...untap Gerrard and save him from any remaining blockers and/or No Mercy!

YEAH! Thank you R&D!!!

L

Landkiller

If Haunted Angel is in U/W beatdown, you can't play wrath, and a 3/3 black flyer will be difficult for your other creatures to handle. Also, it's 2W mana cost is still in range of many kill spells which are popular...Urza's Rage, Terminate, Vindicate (Probably a winner), and numerous others. Now, if you know of a way to gain advantage from it's drawback, it would be good.

M

Mikeymike

Ice Cave, just because it got played against me in a booster draft. My opponent had more mana than me, was playing my exact colors and had a pinger. It was a slow, agonizing death.

Actual worst? Minator Tactician, he was in my colors and he still stunk.

Dead Ringers is close behind b/c I still am not sure I know how it works. I didn't see one of these get played at the PR in at least 12 games, looks like my opponents felt the same way as me.

A

Almindhra

I played with dead ringers, and I think its worth it...Although there are a lot of gold cards out there, most of the creatures are going to mono-coloured, and theres a good chance that your opp will have 2 creatures of the same color...Or you can do what I did, I killed one of my own to kill his...

M

Mikeymike

The stipulation about Dead Ringers confuses me.
Destroy two target nonblack creatures unless either one is a color the other isn't. They can't be regenerated.
But I do have to admit that WOTC has courage using such a corny pun as the name of a non-unglued card, it does make me laugh.

So lets say I have a Grizzly Bear (Green) and a Yavimaya Barbarian (Green+Red). My opponent plays Dead Ringers:
1) Do they both die because they are both green?
2) Do they both survive b/c one of them is red also?

They really should have phrased the card differently.

A

Almindhra

They did word it terribly, but they have to be the same exact creature colours...Like a RG creature and another RG creature...

So in your case, Mike, they'll both survive...

S

superguy

You peeps talk about Haunted Angel and Ice Cave, but what about Tahngarth's Glare or Martyr's Tomb? Makes Haunted Angel beatdwon and Ice Cace domain look pretty darn good :)

H

Hetemti

Who let Pete Venters do Tahngarth? He looks like CRAP! Then again...I guess crap art on crap cards kinda fits...

W

Will, the Serra Avatar

The worst Apocalypse card has to be Squee's Revenge. Coin-flipping is very bad on most cards.

M

Mikeymike

I can't agree with you on Squee's Revenge. Although it is very difficult to control/predict it does produce an extremely powerful effect if it works. Plus it works with Goblin Bookie, and anything that works with Goblin Bookie is cool.

Tahngarth's Glare and Minator Tactician just outright suck in any deck.

I just can't figure out why Martyr's Tomb was printed. Mono-white has better ways to prevent damage to creatures, why'd they go and print an inferior card at 2WB is beyond me. The ability would be nice at '1 life, 1 damage' and maybe 3WB or even 2WB.

T

theorgg

I love Taangaarth's Glare! It's so FUN. In chaos, you help someone out, and they might help you out.

It's one of those cards that is soo cool for some realpolitikal action.

Or I'm an idiot.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

False Dawn and Martyr's Tomb are probably the worst cards.

C

Cateran Emperor

I have to go with Minotaur Tactician. There's only one time when he would be better than a simple Talruum Minotaur, and even then it is only because he costs 3R instead of 2RR.

M

Mikeymike

I don't know about False Dawn. I've got a feeling that there is some hidden potential in this card and it shouldn't be shat on yet.

Has anyone tried it in limited? Apocalypse is already notorious for its color screw, this card could do a nice job cleaning your mana to allow you to play any big Multi-color spell in your hand and it replaces itself. Not too shabby, but not great either.

It will see some casual play at least.

D

Duel

Reasons why False Dawn could, theoretically, be playable
1. It draws you a card
2. It replaces itself by drawing you a card
3. It doesn't produce card disadvantage because it draws you a card.
4. It could, THEORETICALLY, smooth out mana or help with effects.....

The worst apocalypse card is Tahngarth's glare, I agree.